Thread: Schumer Hosts First Marijuana Meeting To Formulate 2021 Federal Legalization Plan

Thumbs up Schumer Hosts First Marijuana Meeting To Formulate 2021 Federal Legalization Plan

Schumer Hosts First Marijuana Meeting To Formulate 2021 Federal Legalization Plan

By Kyle Jaeger
    February 5, 2021

Key U.S. Senate leaders held a meeting with marijuana stakeholders on Friday, the first formal step toward crafting a new bill to federally legalize cannabis.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Senate Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) heard from a group of advocates and stakeholders as the trio prepares to unveil draft reform legislation “in the early part of this year.”

The senators released a joint statement announcing the plan earlier this week that decried the failures of marijuana criminalization and called for a federal policy change that prioritizes repairing the harms of prohibition. Getting input from stakeholders is part of that process, they said.

Around the virtual table on Friday was a mix of representatives from advocacy groups and the cannabis industry, according to five people who attended the meeting and spoke to Marijuana Moment about it.

The discussion lasted a little over an hour and included staffers from NORML, Drug Policy Alliance (DPA), Students for Sensible Drug Policy and other organizations affiliated with the Marijuana Justice Coalition. Business-focused groups such as the National Cannabis Industry Association and Minority Cannabis Business Association (MCBA) were also present.

read more:
    https://www.marijuanamoment.net/schu...lization-plan/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They are going to f this up some how.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I no longer accept this at face value.

Something's $#@!y here.

These statist $#@!s are never in favor of more freedom.

There must be some ulterior motive...perhaps nothing more than an enstupidated, stoned Idiocracy is easier to control.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    They are going to f this up some how.
    Of course. De-regulating, de-criminalization and legalization are off the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Something's $#@!y here.

There must be some ulterior motive...perhaps nothing more than an enstupidated, stoned Idiocracy is easier to control.
    Uh, no, it's just too big now, they can't control it, so they are going to tax it, regulate it and profit.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Something's $#@!y here.

ulterior motive like wanting votes?

The senators released a joint statement...
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Maybe they can make water illegal and or restrict it like the air I thought was free to breathe.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ulterior motives? Absolutely. D.C. doesn't do anything that doesn't benefit them or their friends.

So, it's likely the following:

While the GOP sits back with their thumbs up their butts, the Dems will continue to cement themselves as the party of the future by federally legalizing marijuana (in some form). This solidifies their legacy and more people will likely be hospitable to their party. Score.

The Dems will open this new flood gate of tax revenue. Right now, there's millions, perhaps billions, in cash sitting around due to banks not allowing marijuana businesses to work with them. Score

"Legalizing" or whatever they plan on doing from a federal level will allow for marijuana to become more available. This will assist in keeping the bread in the "bread and circuses" bit. Or maybe weed falls in the circuses part... Take your pick. This will help keep a lot of people docile. Score.

This will bring down the facade of States doing what they want in lieu of the Feds. Right now, there's been a big PR bumble by having these States do what they want, and the Cathedral can't have that... So, why not just legalize the stuff so as to circumvent the idea of States going beyond what the Feds have to say as many are already?

There's always a reason for why, and it's never about it being truly for good or for the people.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Okie RP fan View Post
    Ulterior motives? Absolutely. D.C. doesn't do anything that doesn't benefit them or their friends...

There's always a reason for why, and it's never about it being truly for good or for the people.
    I think your answer is right here:
    The discussion lasted a little over an hour and included staffers from NORML, Drug Policy Alliance (DPA), Students for Sensible Drug Policy and other organizations affiliated with the Marijuana Justice Coalition. Business-focused groups such as the National Cannabis Industry Association and Minority Cannabis Business Association (MCBA) were also present.
    Nothing like a new deeply-pocketed lobbying coalition to make politicians suddenly care about "the failures of marijuana criminalization".
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I think your answer is right here:

Nothing like a new deeply-pocketed lobbying coalition to make politicians suddenly care about "the failures of marijuana criminalization".
    There ya go... A "big business" association and another specifically for "minorities."

Voila!
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be some kind of BS tied to having an ID or license. Will I be able to grow my own? Not without_______

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that there will be some kind of BS tied to having an ID or license. Will I be able to grow my own? Not without_______
    Yup. You won't be able to grow your own but you'll be able to purchase it from any of the X approved retailers.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Something's $#@!y here.

They'll utilize legal drug use as a reason to deny firearm purchase/possession, but after enough people are documented as being recreational drug users. Among other things.
    Last edited by Philhelm; 02-09-2021 at 09:05 AM.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

The fact that people have to beg & plead their state & federal governments just for the possibility of maybe getting permission with the appropriate licenses/regulations

to smoke a $#@!ing plant

Speaks volumes about how much freedom we have currently.

Slaves had more freedom.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

There must be some ulterior motive...
    Here it is:

The senators released a joint statement announcing the plan earlier this week that decried the failures of marijuana criminalization and called for a federal policy change that prioritizes repairing the harms of prohibition. Getting input from stakeholders is part of that process, they said.

There's going to be more in the bill than just "The federal government will no longer keep marijuana as a schedule I drug and move it to schedule III." Much more. I suspect that there will be "pot vouchers" for people who can't afford to buy it.

A pox on Donald Trump for not putting a republican face on marijuana decriminalization when he had both houses of congress. Instead he appointed jackass Jeff Sessions as AG who took the DOJ in the OPPOSITE direction.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    A pox on Donald Trump for not putting a republican face on marijuana decriminalization when he had both houses of congress. Instead he appointed jackass Jeff Sessions as AG who took the DOJ in the OPPOSITE direction.
    To be fair, when Obama came into office the medical cannabis businesses started expanding here in California like crazy because they thought there would be less federal raids on the dispensaries than Bush. Obama ended up raiding even more dispensaries in the first few years, although his last four years were not nearly as bad.. Colorado legalized in 2012 and I think they got the message.

I don't remember anything getting raided by the feds when Trump was in office. But it would have been nice if they used the power while they had it to at least get the banking laws in order for the states that had legalized. Trump ran on medical mj should be legal, and recreational should be legal when states allow it.

The war on drugs should be ended but drugs should not be promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    The war on drugs should be ended but drugs should not be promoted.
    And I consider Cannabis to be a General Health Benefit,, and not a drug at all..

It is not and never was Narcotic..

Personally ,,I consider the Plant to be a Gift from God.. and Forbidding it a Great Evil..

That should be corrected.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    To be fair, when Obama came into office the medical cannabis businesses started expanding here in California like crazy because they thought there would be less federal raids on the dispensaries than Bush. Obama ended up raiding even more dispensaries in the first few years, although his last four years were not nearly as bad.. Colorado legalized in 2012 and I think they got the message.

I don't remember anything getting raided by the feds when Trump was in office. But it would have been nice if they used the power while they had it to at least get the banking laws in order for the states that had legalized. Trump ran on medical mj should be legal, and recreational should be legal when states allow it.
    Okay. Looks like Trump went behind Jeff Sessions back and undid his (Sessions) horrible initiative.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...413-story.html

I stand by my criticism of Jackass Jeff Sessions ever being nominated in the first place but at least the damage was mitigated.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.