Thread: Biden ends U.S. support for Saudi Arabia in Yemen

Biden ends U.S. support for Saudi Arabia in Yemen

Good. Too bad Trump didn't have the balls to do this when he had the chance.

But of course, it's not like the Biden administration is doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

So it remains to be seen where the other shoe will be dropped.

Somewhere in the vicinity of Iran and/or Syria, I'm guessing.

Especially since the Saudis don't seem to be especially bothered by it.

Biden ends U.S. support for Saudi Arabia in Yemen, says war 'has to end'
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN2A42IP

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Joe Biden on Thursday declared a halt to U.S. support for a Saudi Arabia-led military campaign in Yemen, demanding that the more than six-year war, widely seen as a proxy conflict between Saudi Arabia and Iran, “has to end.”

[...]

“This war has to end,” the Democratic president said during a visit to the U.S. State Department in Washington. “And to underscore our commitment, we’re ending all American support for offensive operations in the war in Yemen, including relevant arms sales.”

The move is a reversal of a policy of both the Democratic Obama and Republican Trump administrations. Biden was vice president in the Obama administration.

“At the same time,” he said on Thursday, “Saudi Arabia faces missile attacks, UAV (drone) strikes and other threats from Iranian-supplied forces in multiple countries. We’re going to continue to support and help Saudi Arabia defend its sovereignty and its territorial integrity and its people.”

Saudi Arabia welcomed Biden’s remarks, particularly his commitment to the country’s defense and addressing threats against it, according to the country’s state news agency.

[...]

Under the Trump administration, policy on Yemen was secondary to a so-called “maximum pressure” sanctions campaign against Iran in a bid to force Tehran back into talks over its nuclear and missile programs and activities in the Middle East.

Former President Donald Trump and Jared Kushner, his son-in-law and a top aide, were also focused on maintaining their close ties with Saudi Arabia’s effective ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, which included U.S. arms sales.

This was despite demands by Republican and Democratic lawmakers for an end to U.S. support for Riyadh as the civilian death toll in Yemen mounted and the humanitarian crisis worsened.

[... continued at link: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN2A42IP ...]
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1357728143566639106

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

But of course, it's not like the Biden administration is doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

So it remains to be seen where the other shoe will be dropped.

Somewhere in the vicinity of Iran and/or Syria, I'm guessing.

Especially since the Saudis don't seem to be especially bothered by it.
    Spot on. Same bank, they are just moving some money from one account to another. There is too much "at stake" to make a withdrawal. In fact, we will start seeing (at least the people in the ME will) some major deposits here shortly. And by deposits I mean "kinetic military actions".

Link illustrating the UAE and Saudis aren't too concerned with this announcement:

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...ition-uae.html

Saudi Arabia said on Friday that President Joe Biden’s speech recommitting the United States to global alliances, during which Biden also announced an end to US involvement in Yemen's war, showed America’s “commitment” to working with allies.

“President Biden's speech was historic,” tweeted Adel Al-Jubeir, the Saudi minister of state for foreign affairs. “He confirmed America's commitment to work with friends & allies to resolve conflicts and deal with challenges." Al-Jubeir concluded, “We look forward to working with our friends in the US to end conflicts and confront challenges, as we have for over seven decades.”

“We’re going to continue to support and help Saudi Arabia defend its sovereignty and its territorial integrity and its people,” added Biden, referencing missile attacks, UAV strikes and other threats from Iran and its regional proxies.

In a tweet posted shortly after Biden’s announcement, Emirati Minister of State Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash praised Timothy Lenderking’s special envoy appointment as one that would “bring new and needed energy" to help end the six-year conflict. The United Arab Emirates has scaled back its military involvement in Yemen but continues to support the separatist Southern Transitional Council.

Billions of dollars in arms sales to the UAE as well as Saudi Arabia have been put on hold by the Biden administration pending review. The Donald Trump administration had pushed through a last-minute deal with the UAE for the sale of as many as 50 F-35 jets, 18 armed drones and other equipment in a deal valued at $23 billion.

I hate to say it but I agree with Biden on ending the support for saudi arabia.

Saudi arabia is a Terrorist state.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    I hate to say it but I agree with Biden on ending the support for saudi arabia.

Saudi arabia is a Terrorist state.
    Who's ending support for Saudi Arabia? The headline is a pig in a poke, and you're buying it.

Whenever you see a good news headline, keep reading:

“At the same time,” he said on Thursday, “Saudi Arabia faces missile attacks, UAV (drone) strikes and other threats from Iranian-supplied forces in multiple countries. We’re going to continue to support and help Saudi Arabia defend its sovereignty and its territorial integrity and its people.”
    Do you really think none of that support allegedly earmarked for defense won't wind up used against Yemen? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1357728143566639106
    I agree.
    "I am a bird"

Not buying it one bit. Obama said he wanted to end wars as well, but he ended up continuing them while also starting new wars.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Bait and switch. Joe needed ammo to those that were griping that he was re-escalating in Afghanistan/Syria. I'm not saying it is a bad thing. Just that it was a political move.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d28_story.html

The Biden administration has formally notified Congress that it will remove Yemen’s Houthi rebels from the U.S. government’s list of foreign terrorist organizations, according to three congressional aides and a State Department official, reversing an 11th-hour Trump administration decision that aid groups said would worsen the dire humanitarian situation in the country.

The State Department added the rebel group to a list of official terrorist groups on the day before President Donald Trump left office despite an outcry from humanitarian organizations that said it would make it harder to get food, medical assistance and other basic good to people in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen.

The Trump administration defended the move as part of a broader pressure campaign against Iran, which backs the Houthis against Yemeni forces supported by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and other regional powers.

Yep , moving on to Syria and Iran
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Who's ending support for Saudi Arabia? The headline is a pig in a poke, and you're buying it.

Whenever you see a good news headline, keep reading:

Do you really think none of that support allegedly earmarked for defense won't wind up used against Yemen? Really?
    Yea, that's the kicker. As long as we keep selling weapons to the Saudis in order for them to commit genocide against Yemenis it's not rally that much better.

Good move if confirmed, though might not sit well with GOPAcons, Forever Wars lobbies etc.

Heard MAGA Sec od State Pompeo on Foxnews biz, he hoped that Biden administration won't reverse Trump's decision to sell $Billions worth US made weapons to mideast states allied with Israel because it would cost many American worksers jobs (paraphrasing, not exact these words).

Question is did they all pay cash or were going to buy weapons on credit?

Related
    Trump on Saudi dictatorship weapons deals: "They pay cash"

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Good move if confirmed, though might not sit well with GOPAcons, Forever Wars lobbies etc.
    Of course it will. They are just what you said--forever wars lobbies. When a war is won, it ends. Where's the profit in that?

They don't want rebels starved into submission. They want rebels to keep on creating a demand for arms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Of course it will. They are just what you said--forever wars lobbies. When a war is won, it ends. Where's the profit in that?

They don't want rebels starved into submission. They want rebels to keep on creating a demand for arms.
    Forever Wars and Wars Profiteering are not new concepts nut have been taken to unprecedented heights lately.

Money drenched in blood: Pope scolds Congress for US made weapons sold around the world

You could be right, but I really hope that the Houthis are the "good guys".
    This could explain that the Houthis were never finished off, while "normally" the army with the tanks and bombs win against the "rebels" that don't wear shoes...

Maybe too cynical.
    Did Donald approve the billions arms sale and declare the Houthis a terrorist organisation, so that Biden can now "look good" by stopping "support" for the war against Yemen?!?
    I expect that Yemeni children will continue to die at 1000 per week
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In the back of my head im wondering why the Houthis Rebels are delisted, while we have to abide by Red Flag Laws?

Quote Originally Posted by tebowlives View Post
    Yea, that's the kicker. As long as we keep selling weapons to the Saudis in order for them to commit genocide against Yemenis it's not rally that much better.
    Why do you care what the friggin Saudis do?

Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post
    Why do you care what the friggin Saudis do?
    Ask the victims of 9/11 that question. You're not good at trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by tebowlives View Post
    Ask the victims of 9/11 that question. You're not good at trolling.
    Alright, so I log in here a couple times a year, so I hope this doesn't bump any crazy threads, but I do have something to say in response.

I am good a trolling. I am really good at it.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Trump was a businessman elected with help of mega funding from a globalist neocon, so his inclination for big cash deals was natural.
    Granted no one likes the soul crushing immorality of faceless little children and civilians being blown up day after day with use of such weapons... but there is no denying that such arms deals create well paying jobs that help put food on the table for many families. And he came from a party that prides itself for being a flag bearer of 'family values'.

Trump: Saudi Arabia Pays Cash

Trump Considers Emergency to Bypass Congress on Saudi Arms Deal

Tulsi slams Trump as Saudi 'b----' , 'We are not your prostitutes. You are not our pimp'

@realDonaldTrump Despicable. Offering to place our military assets under the command of a foreign country—Saudi Arabia—is a disgrace and betrayal of my patriotic brothers and sisters in uniform and to our Constitution. We are not your prostitutes. You are not our pimp. pic.twitter.com/Cu1OewEMOC

— Tulsi Gabbard (@TulsiGabbard) September 16, 2019

Probably-Unrelated

Trump son-in-law built strong relationships with wealthy Arab states when Trump was president, but investment from the Middle East for his new business yet to payoff
    Seeking Backers for New Fund, Jared Kushner Turns to Middle East Again
    NYT Nov 26, 2021