What does sober mean? Most people associate being sober with not drinking or taking drugs. Sober also means straight forward not exaggerated or silly. It is a mental state and, spiritual state.

Obsession of any kind can drive us away from being sober. I have done my fair share of obsessive drinking and drugging but, when I quit these things obsession did not stop. I just developed other ways to obsess. I nearly went insane because I did not have a handle on my mind and spirit.

I came to realize that

1. I was powerless over my obsessions and that my life had become unmanageable.

It took me over a year to really get this. I thought I was smart but in this regard of not accepting that I was in way over my head with control issues and obsession I was extremely stupid. I was able to over look my real problems because I thought my problem was drugs and alcohol.Drugs and alcohol did allow me to not look at my problem and it was merely a symptom of my problem. It is called denial(Dont Even No I Am Lying) I went to every kind of 12 step meeting there was trying to find out what it meant to be powerless over my obsessions. Even though I have been free of drugs and alcohol for over 12 years I was still not actually sober.