Thread: What do you think of Polkadot?

What do you think of Polkadot?

I'm NOT a crypto ninja.

I've been SLOWLY buying BTC for a few years now - "set it and forget it" to automatically buy a little each month... I've only recently bought some ETH.

I'm now researching cryptocurrencies outside of bitcoin and ethereum.

What are some altcoins to keep an eye on?

What do you think of Polkadot?

https://incomeinsider.org/polkadot/

DOT seems to have quickly risen to the 4th largest crypto by market cap.

Is it too late? Still worth it? It seems one could just as easily make a case for or against it, lol...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am a purist from 2009. So , all pre mined coins scream centralization and scam to me. The only reason I started in CC was fairness and trustless application. Everything else is just fancy software apps guised as money..

These nerds forgot the whole reason for CC. Most are too young to know. They don't understand economics, sound money, or freedom from gov. oppression means.
    Last edited by kfarnan; 01-28-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kfarnan View Post
    I am a purist from 2009. So , all pre mined coins scream centralization and scam to me. The only reason I started in CC was fairness and trustless application. Everything else is just fancy software apps guised as money..

These nerds forgot the whole reason for CC. Most are too young to know. They don't understand economics, sound money, or freedom from gov. oppression means.
    From my understanding, Bitcoin is meant to be digital gold, while Ethereum is meant to be treated more as digital cash. (While not limited in supply, it still has some deflationary features.)

I used to could never understand why ANYONE would be against a deflationary currency, but loans and contracts become untenable if said currency "deflates" too quickly. (Imagine having to settle that 20,000 BTC IOU for pizza, from yester-year-yonder!)

As bad as debt is, it can still be helpful and has its uses. (That would be a great credit card slogan: "We're investing in YOU!")

It's the centralization of the eth, ripple, etc. . They are private companies, not fair or democratic.

Quote Originally Posted by kfarnan View Post
    It's the centralization of the eth, ripple, etc. . They are private companies, not fair or democratic.
    Ethereum isn't decentralized? Ripple is; but if the transaction speeds can surpass that of credit card companies, then it might be worth it. (Not if they can get shut down, though!)

Eventually, DEX's will become the go-to for trading. (Keeping decentralized cryptocurrencies on centralized exchanges is silly, if you think about it.)

Don't like it? Don't use it! (What harm is there in others pursuing those technologies?)

Ethereum was pre mined, then offered as an ICO. To me it is just a security and should be treated as such.

Never heard of Polkadot.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Bitcoin will eat them all.

watch Ross Stevens. Mind Blowing talk

Timestamp at the difficult question about bitcoin consuming too much energy.

The answer is beautiful.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    Timestamp at the difficult question about bitcoin consuming too much energy.
    Timestamps don't work for embedded videos. They always start playing at t=0, regardless of the time parameter in the URL.

Just "manually" specify the timestamp in the text of your post (in this case, 25:32).

Or you can provide the raw (timestamped) URL instead, like so: https://youtu.be/wA_fI-wUqnw?t=1532
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Timestamps don't work for embedded videos. They always start playing at t=0, regardless of the time parameter in the URL.

Just "manually" specify the timestamp in the text of your post (in this case, 25:32).

Or you can provide the raw (timestamped) URL instead, like so: https://youtu.be/wA_fI-wUqnw?t=1532
    thank you. didn't know that.

what do you think about his answer ?

Tapping into remote clean energy sources. Bitcoin mining being a driver for new human settlements. New settlements in the arid desert with all the sunlight powering the mining morphing the light into monetary energy?