Thread: Nu Metal, the telecommunications act of 1996 and the Y2K curse-How it killed 90's rock

Exclamation Nu Metal, the telecommunications act of 1996 and the Y2K curse-How it killed 90's rock

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great videos.. I was about 10 when the fall that rocked the world happened, and my favorite bands when I was 10-13 years old were basically all the ones he talked about.. Guns n Roses, Metallica, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins, etc..

Funny that he mentioned the first album that rocked the world was the Metallica Black album, that was the first CD I ever purchased.

The unfortunate part was I was too young to go to all the live shows.. Tho my mom was cool enough to take my friend and I to an Offspring concert when we were about 12 or 13. My friend's dad lived in Iraq. One day in the mid-90s his dad came and took him back to Iraq. Never heard from him again. Hope he is ok....

I wanted to go see Guns n' Roses, Metallica and Ice-T when I was 10, parents didn't let me I was pissed. This is what happened:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...-41-story.html
    Last edited by dannno; 01-27-2021 at 01:30 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Especially 8:36

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

There are a lot of Woodstock 99 videos on YouTube... they are fun to watch, and the comments are even more fun!
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Yeah, entertainment is as restricted as the views news. The eagle/hawk, bob, homogeneous radio nationwide, and it sucks. If they don't approve of it, they don't want you to hear it. The Telecommunications Act of '96 was yet another terrible thing that thinking people couldn't get anyone else upset about.

But you can still find decent radio. You just have to look real hard for it.

https://rsuradio.com/listen-live/
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-27-2021 at 09:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Especially 8:36

Billy Corgan is a freakin genius.

I was a thrash metalhead in the 80s. My pet peeve was telling someone that I liked metal and then they'd say, "Oh yeah, I like Bon Jovi, Poison and (any other crappy poser band) too.

I liked the big 4, any punk band with an aggresive sound, etc. I hated the radio other than KNAC in Los Angeles.

1991 was the first time I enjoyed the radio. That cheesey hairspray music went away. I was 20 then in LA. Then my new pet peeve was when I told someone that I was a metalhead was when they'd say (in 1992 and 1993), "Yeah! I am Metallica's biggest fan! I can't wait for their second album to come out!"

The last place I was stationed as a Marine was at Whidbey Island, just north of Seattle. I went to those bars where you paid a cover and got access to a bunch of different live shows. I even played bass in a garage band. You never know what you have until it's gone...

It's funny, my teenaged daughters like the same bands I liked back in the day. I still have my hair past my shoulder.

I love Testament
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    It's funny, my teenaged daughters like the same bands I liked back in the day.
    My kids are the same...and when even the kids are mostly onboard, it's no longer just old folks bitching...today's music really does suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    My kids are the same...and when even the kids are mostly onboard, it's no longer just old folks bitching...today's music really does suck.
    When I was their age, I respected the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, etc., but I loved Megadeth, The Misfits, etc. Nowadays, I don't know any kids who like the modern music. Seriously. Even when my kids were teeny boppers, they couldn't stand Justin Beiber. They knew that was getting forced on them.

It's like when cartoons started to suck in the 1980s. Every GI Joe cartoon was a thirty minute commercial for the next action figure. It was just manufactured.

There is still some good music getting made. Unfortunately, it restricted to local bars and rarely seen youtube videos. Good musicians don't have a chance to make it big these days