Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rand puts a nail in the coffin on second impeachment attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    You get in fights with 90% of the forum over stupid uncharitable readings.
    As far as I know, I have never done that. If I ever do and it's pointed out to me, I'll try to correct it.

And even when I disagree with others (which is part of what discussions like we have at forums like this are for), it's never a fight. At least not from my end.

I plead guilty to coming to the defense of Sola Fide and Zippy though. I always liked both of them and thought they were unfairly treated. I don't consider them trolls.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    My thread title yesterday was an objective factual statement about what the statement I presented in the OP that was made by American Thinker said. That's all that the thread title was. As such, yes, it was an objective fact that anybody who read that statement could see. I made no claims in the thread title or elsewhere in the thread about whether I agreed with that statement.

The rest of what you're claiming can't be gotten from anything I've ever said. You're just reading into my words and flat out making things up. If you can find quotes where you think I've said those things or even implied any of them, please show me.

For some reason you've made assumptions about me. You think you know what my beliefs are and that I have some agenda that you've dreamed up. But you can't find any post I've ever made that fits your assumption.

Again, what's so objectionable about simply taking what I actually say at face value? When you do that, you might find it's not as bad as you think.
    If you are really dumb enough to believe the headline without thinking "This might be a lie" or "This person / group might have been coerced", then you really need to learn HOW to think. Dont accept. Dont reject. Entertain possibilities. Instead, you insist that the headline was truth because that is what you want to believe.

Here is the thing. We can smell you setting us up. Next thing you do is to accuse others of being Terrorists because they dont think like you or dont think what you told them to think. You'll make things our fault. You'll play the victim. Thats what the MSM Propaganda Machine is for. You can believe what ever crap you want to believe, but insisting on Subjective Statements are Truth and Evidence and that we all think like you do is only a symptom of what I suspect to be Heavy Brainwashing. Question your own beliefs. Are you able to do that?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    If you are really dumb enough to believe the headline without thinking "This might be a lie" or "This person / group might have been coerced", then you really need to learn HOW to think. Dont accept. Dont reject. Entertain possibilities.
    Entertaining those possibilities is exactly what I did in the thread you're talking about.

Yes, it's true that the statement American Thinker made might have been a lie, as I always fully recognized throughout that discussion. But the thread title is not the place to say that. A thread title that simply presents what the statement was objectively is how a thread title should work. That's all my thread title did. The statement wasn't my statement, it was American Thinker's statement, and it said what it said (which was exactly what my thread title represented it as saying), whether truthful or not.

As far as I know, I have never done that. If I ever do and it's pointed out to me, I'll try to correct it.

And even when I disagree with others (which is part of what discussions like we have at forums like this are for), it's never a fight. At least not from my end.

I plead guilty to coming to the defense of Sola Fide and Zippy though. I always liked both of them and thought they were unfairly treated. I don't consider them trolls.
    Oh my gosh! Stop! STOP! Please! You are killing me with laughter! Lol!

Oh my gosh! Stop! STOP! Please! You are killing me with laughter! Lol!
    Ask yourself honestly, is what you're doing right here not a good example of gaslighting?

Ask yourself honestly, is what you're doing right here not a good example of gaslighting?
    It's a great example of a man intelligent enough not to feed a troll. All I can do is laugh. I encourage the rest of the forum to do the same. This is hilarious.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a great example of a man intelligent enough not to feed a troll. All I can do is laugh. I encourage the rest of the forum to do the same. This is hilarious.
    I encourage the rest of the forum to read this thread, and take note of the back and forth that you and other posters have had with me here, seeing just which side has said and done what, and come to their own conclusions about their respective levels of politeness.

By the way, usually a troll would be someone who comes to a site like this with an agenda that is contrary to that site's mission. But I have only ever supported this site's mission and the policies and candidates it supports. It's worth pointing out that Trump isn't one of those candidates. And it's funny how often Trump supporters have come here and accused long time Ron Paul supporters of being trolls on account of their failure to toe the Trumper line.
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 01-27-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Yes. People should read the thread and ask themselves why multiple people of varying beliefs are equally tired of your bull$#@!. You have a history that goes beyond this current sock puppet.

I encourage the rest of the forum to read this thread, and take note of the back and forth that you and other posters have had with me here, seeing just which side has said and done what, and come to their own conclusions about their respective levels of politeness.

By the way, usually a troll would be someone who comes to a site like this with an agenda that is contrary to that site's mission. But I have only ever supported this site's mission and the policies and candidates it supports. It's worth pointing out that Trump isn't one of those candidates. And it's funny how often Trump supporters have come here and accused long time Ron Paul supporters of being trolls on account of their failure to toe the Trumper line.

I said my piece in this thread. "Charitable..." LOL!

Later.

Yes. People should read the thread and ask themselves why multiple people of varying beliefs are equally tired of your bull$#@!. You have a history that goes beyond this current sock puppet.
    It's not a sock puppet. It's a replacement account of one that I no longer use. And I've always been forthright about that. One of my first posts after I started posting with this account was a thread I made to announce my presence and that I used to post here with the handle Superfluous Man.

So you can't find examples of me doing whatever it is you are accusing me of in this thread, it sounds like. But you are certain that there are plenty of old ones in some other threads that I posted in with either this account or my old one. Although you don't know of any specifics.

I doubt that I'm guilty of what you say. But you're welcome to try to prove it. And if you don't see anything wrong with anything I've said in this particular thread that you can actually point to, that's telling in itself.

Speaking of history, I recall this kind of exchange with you from before as well. You would repeatedly accuse me of things, and then when I would ask you to provide the quote from me that would support your accusation, you never could.

My question to you is the same as it was to Damien. What's so wrong with just taking what I actually say at face value? When you do that, you might find that it's not as bad as you assume when you insist on reading things between the lines.

I don't call people names. I don't use all caps and huge bold in-your-face fonts. I don't use profanity. I don't belittle people. I don't make posts expressing laughter at them. I don't accuse people of having hidden agendas or believing things other than what they actually say. The same can't be said for how others often talk to me. You want me to believe that when they do that it means I'm the problem. But just consider the possibility that it's the opposite.

This thread is actually a good example of one where I put in a fair amount of time researching and presenting the fruit of that research here in posts that I believed would be helpful to those who are interested in dispassionately discussing and learning about the subject. Not everybody will want to look into it or discuss it, and not everybody has to. But some people may want to. It's hard for me to see what's wrong with even so much as trying to engage in that discussion with those who might like it. Not everybody is going to agree on everything, and that should be fine.
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 01-27-2021 at 12:18 PM.

What is the reason for thinking the trial is unconstitutional?
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Not bad for a traitor prone to dereliction of duty, eh?

Where in the Constitution is there a provision for impeaching private citizens, again?

Quotes, please.
    LOL. Only at RPF can a thread about a boss move showing how Rand destroyed the substance of the Dems impeachment article can it turn into a debate about an obscure constitutional issue.

Anyhow....

1) Trump was still president when he was impeached as impeachment is done in the House and it occurred prior to Biden being sworn in.

2) There is precedent for an impeachment trial occurring after someone had already left office.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/can...residents-term

Now, since that trial resulted in an acquittal, it's an open question as to what the court would do if someone out of office was "convicted" and then there was a vote to bar him from future office. But...none of that matters because Rand is a boss.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    LOL. Only at RPF can a thread about a boss move showing how Rand destroyed the substance of the Dems impeachment article can it turn into a debate about an obscure constitutional issue.

Anyhow....

1) Trump was still president when he was impeached as impeachment is done in the House and it occurred prior to Biden being sworn in.

2) There is precedent for an impeachment trial occurring after someone had already left office.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/can...residents-term

Now, since that trial resulted in an acquittal, it's an open question as to what the court would do if someone out of office was "convicted" and then there was a vote to bar him from future office. But...none of that matters because Rand is a boss.
    Good post.

I think that you probably got to the point of why people got so upset with me in the thread. It was an opportunity to talk up Rand that I missed. So maybe that was my big faux pas more than anything else.

I'm always interested in looking at the other side of things. It's within the realm of possibility that the shoe will be on the other foot one day, and Rand and the Republicans may want to impeach and convict a Democrat office holder after they've left office, and if that day comes his history of saying that it's unconstitutional could come back to bite him. Also, for me, even more than that, is the basic question of, "Is it really unconstitutional?" If it's not unconstitutional, then I would want to refrain from saying it is.

Good post.

I think that you probably got to the point of why people got so upset with me in the thread. It was an opportunity to talk up Rand that I missed. So maybe that was my big faux pas more than anything else.

I'm always interested in looking at the other side of things. It's within the realm of possibility that the shoe will be on the other foot one day, and Rand and the Republicans may want to impeach and convict a Democrat office holder after they've left office, and if that day comes his history of saying that it's unconstitutional could come back to bite him. Also, for me, even more than that, is the basic question of, "Is it really unconstitutional?" If it's not unconstitutional, then I would want to refrain from saying it is.
    Hey. Ya can't hang around this place for more than a year and not be or become a constitution nerd.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Hey. Ya can't hang around this place for more than a year and not be or become a constitution nerd.
    Damn it, that's not why this more perfect forum was ordained and established!
    Last edited by acptulsa; 01-27-2021 at 01:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's within the realm of possibility that the shoe will be on the other foot one day, and Rand and the Republicans may want to impeach and convict a Democrat office holder after they've left office, and if that day comes his history of saying that it's unconstitutional could come back to bite him.
    I don't think you understand how Rand works. To him, the Constitution doesn't change its meaning depending on whether the person in question is a Republican or Democrat.

He's funny that way.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I don't think you understand how Rand works. To him, the Constitution doesn't change its meaning depending on whether the person in question is a Republican or Democrat.

He's funny that way.
    You must spread some reputation to the other 49 states before you send any more south.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I don't always agree with you but I definitely agree about Sola Fide & Zippy. I could actually have a discussion with them- especially Zippy, with no name-calling & insults.

I have never understood why he was hated so much while other obvious trolls are still here, praised, & allowed to continue the hate & division.

Members- if you don't like someone, put them on Ignore, then not only do you not have to read their stuff, but their POV, that you are hatin' on, isn't constantly bumped.

Rocket Science.
    There is no spoon.

Prediction: When the Democrats end up taking more Senate seats in the midterms, they will push impeachment once again and successfully convict Trump.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

He's funny that way.
    Winner!

He's funny that way.
    I hope you're right. And in this case I wouldn't call it likely that a similar case will come up in the future. But it's a reason for him to be extra careful about declaring this to be unconstitutional. And it doesn't appear that he was here.

I hope you're right. And in this case I wouldn't call it likely that a similar case will come up in the future. But it's a reason for him to be extra careful about declaring this to be unconstitutional. And it doesn't appear that he was here.
    Why would you say he wasn't careful
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Don't be an idiot. I know how it works. And I never said anything like what you're suggesting.

I said the "purpose" for impeaching someone...

And the judgment for impeachment can include removal from office and disqualification from future office. Not "or".

You are either being stupid or disingenuous. I suspect it's the TDS that's got you.
    For those who missed the live Senate vote, "invisible" is restating the Chuck Schumer rebuttal to Rand Paul's call to dismiss the impeachment trial.

The Democrats are making their stand on separating that clause into two completely separate things. One is to remove from office, the other, newly separate power is to permanently ban a person from office.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    AND =/= OR
    Exactly. A conviction results in removal from office AND a permanent ban. It wasn't an "or".

Rand was right. The Supreme Court has already weighed in on this by not sending the Chief Justice to preside. This is not a constitutional impeachment trial, this is partisan Senate shenanigans.

But let's indulge this new Congressional power to disqualify people from office for a moment. What are the long term ramifications? How might it be used?

If the Democrats had a 2/3 majority in Congress, possibly including RINOs like Romney, they would surely impeach and convict ex-President Trump, the private citizen. Would they stop there? Why not impeach and convict Rand so that he can be removed and never run again? How about those pesky children of Trump? Perhaps some other promising GOP candidates that might strike the establishment or the Pelosi mob the wrong way? Too bad Tulsi, you will probably be a priority item.

Behind closes doors, Nancy Pelosi will probably shout, to the extreme amusement of her guests, that she can impeach a ham sandwich!

Or turn it around. A mythical Trump majority in the house, and a 2/3 majority in the Senate. The list of prospects would be truly long. Obama (Barry and Michelle), Romney, Pelosi, Schumer, they could be busy for a year doing one impeachment and trial a day.

What a wondrous new power for the Congress. Considering how they treat some candidates during primaries, it could make the process much easier. Instead of continually changing debate criteria and blacking out candidates, they could just impeach and convict the candidates they don't like.

Welcome to Soviet Amerika.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why would you say he wasn't careful
    I could be wrong. There may be a point in favor of his view that hasn't come up in this thread. But it looks like he's defaulting to a position that isn't supported by a careful reading of what the Constitution does and does not say.

There's a popular tendency to think that impeachment is strictly for the purpose of removing someone from office, and would thus be only applicable to current office holders. This seems to be a misconception that's based on the fact that this is normally the case with impeachment, as opposed to having any basis in the text of the Constitution or the understanding of impeachment that prevailed when it was ratified. Some posters in this thread have even expressed that view. Unless there's more to Rand's position than has been brought out so far, it looks like that's what he's basing it on.

Exactly. A conviction results in removal from office AND a permanent ban. It wasn't an "or".
    A conviction can result in a punishment up to both of those. But it doesn't have to, as you imply. The Constitution merely stipulates that it cannot be anything more than those. If the Senate issues a punishment that is less than that maximum (e.g. one of those things and not the other), then it would be within the requirement of its judgement not extending beyond the two of them.

But let's indulge this new Congressional power to disqualify people from office for a moment. What are the long term ramifications? How might it be used?
    It isn't a new Congressional power. It's a power that Congress has used before, not for any former presidents, but for others who had formerly held lower offices.

Why not impeach and convict Rand so that he can be removed and never run again? How about those pesky children of Trump?
    The power to do that is a power Congress has, and has always had. What stops them from doing it? Nothing but politics. Impeachment is first and foremost a political process and not a juridical one.
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 01-27-2021 at 03:43 PM.

I could be wrong. There may be a point in favor of his view that hasn't come up in this thread. But it looks like he's defaulting to a position that isn't supported by a careful reading of what the Constitution does and does not say.
    You're entitled to your opinion in what you think the Constitution says, but that in no way means that Rand wasn't careful when he came to his own opinion.
    - Kim Kardashian

At this point my previous post of this article is buried back in an earlier page of this thread, so people currently catching up on the discussion may have missed it. But I encourage anyone who's interested in a thorough overview of the issues involved, from an the historical context of how impeachment was understood at the time the Constitution was ratified, to an analysis of the relevant text of the Constitution, to the historical precedent of impeachments and impeachment trials of ex-federal office holders, to check this out. The pdf download is available for free.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....ract_id=286277

A conviction can result in a punishment up to both of those. But it doesn't have to, as you imply. The Constitution merely stipulates that it cannot be anything more than those. If the Senate issues a punishment that is less than that maximum (e.g. one of those things and not the other), then it would be within the requirement of its judgement not extending beyond the two of them.

It isn't a new Congressional power. It's a power that Congress has used before, not for any former presidents, but for others who had formerly held lower offices.

The power to do that is a power Congress has, and has always had. What stops them from doing it? Nothing but politics. Impeachment is first and foremost a political process and not a juridical one.
    You say that like it's settled science. Can you quote where this power to ban a civilian from any public office is granted to Congress in the Constitution?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

You're entitled to your opinion in what you think the Constitution says, but that in no way means that Rand wasn't careful when he came to his own opinion.
    I agree. It's possible that he was and that there's some point in favor of his view that hasn't come out. If there is one, it's unfortunate that he didn't seem to make that point, so that we'd know for sure.

You say that like it's settled science. Can you quote where this power to ban a civilian from any public office is granted to Congress in the Constitution?
    Article 1, Section 3:
    The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments....
    Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.
    Of course not just any civilian can be banned from public office by this process, it has to be someone who first can be impeached. And impeachment, by definition, is limited to offenses that involve the abuse of public trust (see, e.g., Federalist 65), such that people who have never held an office of public trust logically cannot be guilty of such offenses. But a civilian who is a former office holder, who committed offenses of that nature while in office, can be.

And my claim that this has been done before is settled science. It has been done before. One may argue that it was unconstitutional in those instances. But it is certainly not a "new congressional power."
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 01-27-2021 at 04:02 PM.

I agree. It's possible that he was and that there's some point in favor of his view that hasn't come out. If there is one, it's unfortunate that he didn't seem to make that point, so that we'd know for sure.
    I would presume his rationale for why he thinks the Constitution says what it does, is 2nd grade English reading ability, and shouldn't require a graduate level thesis on why "and" =/= "or".

Your understanding of the various nuances of the English language as used in the Constitution may be quite complicated, but for many people especially here, we believe the Constitution means what it says it means.

(As an unrelated example, "shall not be infringed" does not leave a lot of room for exceptions. Unless you're a clown in a gown with graduate degrees and have clearly a more thorough understanding of the English language than we do)
    Last edited by TheTexan; 01-27-2021 at 04:01 PM.
    - Kim Kardashian

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast