Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Early warning signs emerge for GOP after US Capitol riots

  1. #1

    Post Early warning signs emerge for GOP after US Capitol riots

    As GOP fragments and Dems control expands, time is ripe for a pro-liberty 3rd party?

    With the coming funding freezes for good chunk of Trump-GOP (formerly GOPA wing), don't think Trump has ideological clarity or drive to lead any revolution without gravy train that comes with being in power. Will he go back to "Self-interest First" phase of funding social liberal Dems again as a payback for GOP/Mitch wing for not standing with him to "stop the steal"? Unlikely, but he's not cut out to lead any cohesive principled movement with longterm vision without immediate glory or rewards in sight.


    Early warning signs emerge for GOP after US Capitol riots

    MARC LEVY, THOMAS BEAUMONT and NICHOLAS RICCARDI
    Tue, January 12, 2021, 12:14 AM EST

    HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Since last week’s deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, about 225 Republicans logged in to the election office in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to change their party registration. Ethan Demme was one of them.

    “Ever since they started denying the election result, I kind of knew it was heading this way," said Demme, the county's former Republican Party chairman who has opposed President Donald Trump and is now an independent. "If they kept going, I knew there’s no way I can keep going. But if you’ve been a Republican all your life, it’s hard to jump out of a big boat and into a little boat.”
    Officials are seeing similar scenes unfold elsewhere.
    In Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 192 people have changed their party registration since the Jan. 6 riot. Only 13 switched to the GOP — the other 179 changed to Democrat, independent or a third party, according to Bethany Salzarulo, the director of the bureau of elections.
    In Linn County, Iowa, home to Cedar Rapids, more than four dozen voters dropped their Republican Party affiliations in the 48 hours after the Capitol attack. They mostly switched to no party, elections commissioner Joel Miller said, though a small number took the highly unusual step of cancelling their registrations altogether.
    The party switching pales in comparison to the more than 74 million people who voted for Trump in November. And it's unclear whether they're united in their motivations. Some may be rejecting politics altogether while others may be leaving a Republican Party they fear will be less loyal to Trump.
    But they offer an early sign of the volatility ahead for the GOP as the party braces for political fallout of the riots that Trump incited.
    “I do think there’s a palpable shift, from knee-jerk defense of the president to ‘wow, that was a bridge too far,’” said Kirk Adams, the former Republican speaker of the Arizona House of Representatives.
    Adams said he knew several people, including once-solid Trump supporters, who are switching their registrations. He said it may be weeks or months before the full impact of the insurrection is clear.
    “Minds are being changed," he said. "But you can’t go overnight from ‘I think the president’s right and the election is being stolen’ to ‘I guess he was wrong about everything.’”

    “Increasingly I’ve looked at my party in this state and our numbers are dwindling,” said Gary Eichelberger, a commissioner in suburban Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. “If we narrow the base of the party, we are going to lose this county.”

    Republicans in Washington are approaching the moment with caution, denouncing the insurrection and providing scant defense of Trump. But so far, few have joined Democratic calls for the president's impeachment and immediate removal.

    Just two Senate Republicans, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Patrick Toomey of Pennsylvania, have called on Trump to resign.

    Multiple GOP officials said there was some unease about the party’s direction at the RNC winter meeting on Amelia Island, Florida, which took place a few days after the attack. Serious conversations are underway at the committee to conduct a comprehensive look at the 2020 election results to determine what the party did wrong and how to better appeal to voters, according to Henry Barbour, a RNC member from Mississippi.

    But Trump still has a pull on swaths of the GOP base.

    ...
    “They just believe it was a stolen election, and they’re not going to back off that position,” Chornenky said. “He’ll be the driving force” of the GOP for years to come, Chornenky predicted of Trump.

    The 2022 midterm elections may provide a test of that. Former Rep. Ryan Costello is strongly considering a run for Pennsylvania’s open Senate seat as a Republican. A longtime Trump critic, he sees the time as ripe for an explicitly anti-Trump GOP candidate.
    “We need people willing to lose races, lose political campaigns, over this,” Costello said. “We need campaigns about the cleansing of the party. Sometimes it’s not possible to dance around landmines. Sometimes, you’ve just got to jump in there.”
    news.yahoo.com/early-warning-signs-emerge-gop-051435341.htm



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Trum-pan-zee idiocy killed the GOP. The LP is the closest to a common sense party left. The left is busy trying to destroy the economic engine, Wall St is afraid they might not be able to run their scams, and the so-called "patriots" (LOL!) are too busy sucking off Drumpf.

  4. #3
    Yahoo.

    LoL

    Concerned Marxist media organ is concerned.

    That said, who knows what will happen to the GOP.

    Who cares?

    The Marxists now have full power of all branches of government.

    They will use the next two years to do nothing but solidify their position and brutally quell dissent of any kind.

    Now, more than ever, it is abundantly clear that this situation will not be rectified through the "political process".

    Thus making "loyal opposition" like the GOP redundant.

    Now, if they want to re-evaluate their position, purge the internal globalists, Quislings and collaborators and become a true resistance party, then maybe they will survive.

    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    As GOP fragments and Dems control expands, time is ripe for a pro-liberty 3rd party?

    With the coming funding freezes for good chunk of Trump-GOP (formerly GOPA wing), don't think Trump has ideological clarity or drive to lead any revolution without gravy train that comes with being in power. Will he go back to "Self-interest First" phase of funding social liberal Dems again as a payback for GOP/Mitch wing for not standing with him to "stop the steal"? Unlikely, but he's not cut out to lead any cohesive principled movement with longterm vision without immediate glory or rewards in sight.


    Early warning signs emerge for GOP after US Capitol riots

    MARC LEVY, THOMAS BEAUMONT and NICHOLAS RICCARDI
    Tue, January 12, 2021, 12:14 AM EST

    HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Since last week’s deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, about 225 Republicans logged in to the election office in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to change their party registration. Ethan Demme was one of them.

    “Ever since they started denying the election result, I kind of knew it was heading this way," said Demme, the county's former Republican Party chairman who has opposed President Donald Trump and is now an independent. "If they kept going, I knew there’s no way I can keep going. But if you’ve been a Republican all your life, it’s hard to jump out of a big boat and into a little boat.”
    Officials are seeing similar scenes unfold elsewhere.
    In Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, 192 people have changed their party registration since the Jan. 6 riot. Only 13 switched to the GOP — the other 179 changed to Democrat, independent or a third party, according to Bethany Salzarulo, the director of the bureau of elections.
    In Linn County, Iowa, home to Cedar Rapids, more than four dozen voters dropped their Republican Party affiliations in the 48 hours after the Capitol attack. They mostly switched to no party, elections commissioner Joel Miller said, though a small number took the highly unusual step of cancelling their registrations altogether.
    The party switching pales in comparison to the more than 74 million people who voted for Trump in November. And it's unclear whether they're united in their motivations. Some may be rejecting politics altogether while others may be leaving a Republican Party they fear will be less loyal to Trump.
    But they offer an early sign of the volatility ahead for the GOP as the party braces for political fallout of the riots that Trump incited.
    “I do think there’s a palpable shift, from knee-jerk defense of the president to ‘wow, that was a bridge too far,’” said Kirk Adams, the former Republican speaker of the Arizona House of Representatives.
    Adams said he knew several people, including once-solid Trump supporters, who are switching their registrations. He said it may be weeks or months before the full impact of the insurrection is clear.
    “Minds are being changed," he said. "But you can’t go overnight from ‘I think the president’s right and the election is being stolen’ to ‘I guess he was wrong about everything.’”

    “Increasingly I’ve looked at my party in this state and our numbers are dwindling,” said Gary Eichelberger, a commissioner in suburban Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. “If we narrow the base of the party, we are going to lose this county.”

    Republicans in Washington are approaching the moment with caution, denouncing the insurrection and providing scant defense of Trump. But so far, few have joined Democratic calls for the president's impeachment and immediate removal.

    Just two Senate Republicans, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Patrick Toomey of Pennsylvania, have called on Trump to resign.

    Multiple GOP officials said there was some unease about the party’s direction at the RNC winter meeting on Amelia Island, Florida, which took place a few days after the attack. Serious conversations are underway at the committee to conduct a comprehensive look at the 2020 election results to determine what the party did wrong and how to better appeal to voters, according to Henry Barbour, a RNC member from Mississippi.

    But Trump still has a pull on swaths of the GOP base.

    ...
    “They just believe it was a stolen election, and they’re not going to back off that position,” Chornenky said. “He’ll be the driving force” of the GOP for years to come, Chornenky predicted of Trump.

    The 2022 midterm elections may provide a test of that. Former Rep. Ryan Costello is strongly considering a run for Pennsylvania’s open Senate seat as a Republican. A longtime Trump critic, he sees the time as ripe for an explicitly anti-Trump GOP candidate.
    “We need people willing to lose races, lose political campaigns, over this,” Costello said. “We need campaigns about the cleansing of the party. Sometimes it’s not possible to dance around landmines. Sometimes, you’ve just got to jump in there.”
    news.yahoo.com/early-warning-signs-emerge-gop-051435341.htm
    We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment. - C. S. Lewis

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yahoo.

    LoL

    Concerned Marxist media organ is concerned.

    That said, who knows what will happen to the GOP.

    Who cares?

    The Marxists now have full power of all branches of government.

    They will use the next two years to do nothing but solidify their position and brutally quell dissent of any kind.

    Now, more than ever, it is abundantly clear that this situation will not be rectified through the "political process".

    Thus making "loyal opposition" like the GOP redundant.

    Now, if they want to re-evaluate their position, purge the internal globalists, Quislings and collaborators and become a true resistance party, then maybe they will survive.
    Well, as I wind out my days on FedBook I'm seeing on a number of GOP leader pages contributors saying "$#@! the GOP." Time for a "Trump Party."

    "Done with these spineless $#@!s" "They are part of the globalist agenda."

    So, at least Trump has something, 70 million?, questioning the Uni-party?

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rpfocus View Post
    Trum-pan-zee idiocy killed the GOP. The LP is the closest to a common sense party left. The left is busy trying to destroy the economic engine, Wall St is afraid they might not be able to run their scams, and the so-called "patriots" (LOL!) are too busy sucking off Drumpf.
    Trump may have killed the GOP, but not by unpopularity. He has the most votes from real, alive, legal people than any president ever. And his support is more loyal and committed than even Ron Pauls in 2008. If anything, the GOP committed suicide by not getting on board. Trump could easily be the end to the GOP if he so chooses and hopefully he does make that choice. The best thing that can come from him now is using him as a tool to destroy the uniparty by finally delivering a third party that can yield electoral and policy results. Sorry, but the LP has done its best to prove over and over that it will never be them.

    Also, "Drumpf" isn't very original.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Well, as I wind out my days on FedBook I'm seeing on a number of GOP leader pages contributors saying "$#@! the GOP." Time for a "Trump Party."

    "Done with these spineless $#@!s" "They are part of the globalist agenda."

    So, at least Trump has something, 70 million?, questioning the Uni-party?
    If he manages to create some sort of America First party with constitutional conservatism, for want of a better term, at it's core, I'm in.

    Better he should start funding Washington's Army Part Two.

    I have no overwhelmingly strong favorable opinion of him, nor do I suffer from TDS.

    If he's the only one that could pull something like that off, so be it.

    He does seem to be the only motherfucker in the public eye willing to pick a fight with this Marxist filth, instead of backpedaling, cowering and crying for peace.

    "If this is your Army, then why does it go?"
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-12-2021 at 11:44 PM.
    We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment. - C. S. Lewis

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    If he manages to create some sort of America First party with constitutional conservatism, for want of a better term, at it's core, I'm in.

    Better he should start funding Washington's Army Part Two.

    I have no overwhelmingly strong favorable opinion of him, nor do I suffer from TDS.

    If he's the only one that could pull something like that off, so be it.

    He does seem to be the only motherfucker in the public eye willing to pick a fight with this Marxist filth, instead of backpedaling, cowering and crying for peace.

    "If this is your Army, then why does it run away?"
    Well, looking forward if things DON'T go hot, Which they will. I'm drafting Mike Rowe 2024. Whether he wants is or not..
    Mike Rowe

    Off the Wall
    Louis Warfield writes...
    Is this what you have to say about today? Is this what you say to Americans? Is this how you dismiss an insurrection? Is this what you think of the death of an ignorant mislead woman who left children behind because of lies and deceit by Trump? Is this what you say when a sitting president encourages people to march on the Capitol with his insanity? I used to really admire you, I used to want to be like you, hell I used to want to be you...Now? I can't even look at you.

    Louis Warfield

    Hi there, Louis.

    First of all, Happy New Year, and congratulations on not becoming me. Doing so would have forced you into a body you canít bear to look at, and that, my friend, is no way to go through life! Secondly, no - my last post was not a ďMessage to America.Ē It was just a bit of world-weary sarcasm I shared with six million friends who follow this page - friends who, like me, were no doubt hoping the new year would usher in a kinder, gentler age.

    Obviously, our optimism was premature, so I shared an ironic acknowledgment of the undeniable fact that 2020 was still with us. Since then, Iíve been struggling to get my head around whatís happening in our country, but since you asked, these are my current thoughts, six days in.

    In short, I was nauseated by what I saw on Wednesday. Nauseated, in the same way I was last summer, when I watched another group of anarchists try to burn down a federal courthouse with government workers still inside. Not since then, have I felt such a sadness for my country. My sympathies to the family of Brian Sicknick, the officer who died in the attack, along with the other cops who were injured in the riot. Condolences too, to the family of the woman who was shot, and the families of all the others who died on that day. So much senseless and completely avoidable death.

    To state the obvious, Louis, I think President Trump was wrong to wait so long to react to the chaos. I canít excuse what he said or justify the time it took him to condemn the individuals who entered the Capitol illegally. The whole thing was irresponsible. No less obvious, is the critical distinction that must be made between those who marched to the Capitol, and those who broke into it. The overwhelming majority of Americans who rallied in DC didnít break the law. Neither did the overwhelming majority of Americans who marched in the wake of George Floydís death. Thereís a bright line between a protest and a riot, and I strongly disagree with those who have attempted to blur that line, then and now. As for the future, I think itís wishful thinking to assume that our country will come together when Donald Trump is no longer president. The morning after he leaves office, whenever that may be, millions of Americans will wake up believing our country is systemically racist. Millions of others will wake up believing we can no longer hold a free and fair election. This is the essential problem, Louis, because a house divided, as you may recall, cannot stand.

    The way forward is difficult, and hugely complicated by a crisis of credibility. Lots of worried Americans, including many who donít support Trump, have lost their faith in the institutions we rely on to tell us the truth - most notably, the mainstream media. This has been the case for some time, but now it feels different. Now, the patina of fake news has covered everything with a sheen of doubt and suspicion. Politics, science, law, medicine, academiaÖexperts from every discipline are subject to new levels of skepticism, in part, because those experts hold forth on platforms that are no longer credible to half the country.

    How many friends do you have who dismiss anything they hear on FOX, simply because itís on FOX? Likewise, CNN? I have many. Thatís why we canít blame millions of Americans for dismissing the academic studies that contradict their belief that racism in law enforcement is systemic; they simply donít trust the studies. Nor can we blame millions of other Americans for dismissing the findings of multiple courts who say the election wasnít fraudulent; they simply donít trust the courts. This level of mistrust is the real enemy, and Iím afraid itís about to get a lot worse.

    According to the exit polls I read, a lot of Americans who voted for Biden werenít voting for the Democratic agenda; they were simply voting against Trump. Likewise, a lot of Trump voters had grave concerns about the President, but voted for him anyway, because they had graver concerns about the policies that Pelosi and Schumer have been promising to enact. Iím not saying Trump doesnít have a lot of ardent supporters. Clearly, he does.

    Iím just saying that a divided republic is a lot safer with a divided government. The deeper the divide, the more important the balance of power.

    Well, we now have the deepest divide since 1860, and one party is about to hold all the cards. In other words, the Democrats have a lot of power, but nothing close to a mandate from a significant majority. Thatís worrisome, because Biden will be under incredible pressure from his own base to enact a lot of very controversial policies, because ďelections have consequences.Ē But that old chestnut wonít go over well with millions of Americans, especially those who believe the election was fundamentally unjust. And as we saw over the summer, when people believe something is fundamentally unjust, the wheels come off the bus pretty quick.

    Complicating matters even further, is a new level of censorship in our country unlike anything Iíve ever witnessed. As we all know, the President has been banned from Facebook and Twitter. Kind of amazing, but if thatís all there was to it, I imagine that many Americans would shrug and say, ďOh well, he had it coming.Ē But banning Trump seems to have opened the floodgates. Simon & Schuster just cancelled a book deal with Josh Hawley, a conservative senator. The reasons appear to be purely political. The editor of Forbes has just ďwarnedĒ companies not to hire Trump supporters. Other big corporations have followed suit. And now, two conservative social platforms, Parler and Rumble, have been dropped by Apple and Amazon.

    This is extraordinary. Parler had 20 million members yesterday. Today, those people learned they can no longer talk to each other on their platform of choice. Whatever else these actions might accomplish, they're absolutely going to reinforce the perception among millions of Americans that Big Tech and the mainstream media are now in lockstep with the new administration - not only to silence Trump, but to silence them. And that, as my grandmother used to say, will go over like a fart in church.

    I donít have the answers, Louis, nor do I have a crystal ball. But I can promise you that banishing people from platforms, or banishing platforms from people, or deliberately cutting off the way millions of people communicate is not the way forward. What we need in a divided country, is more communication, not less. And if we canít talk to each other, how can we ever hope to come together? Consider your own post, and your own trenchant questions. I could have easily deleted them. They were kinda nasty, after all, and on this page, I have the option to delete comments I donít like. I never do that though, (porn notwithstanding,) because silencing people who donít like me isnít productive. Nor is it effective. Nor is it interesting.

    Thatís why I responded to you, Louis, and thatís why Iím worried Ė sincerely and genuinely worried Ė that trying to silence millions of Americans at such a tumultuous time is going to have some consequences that are both serious, and unintended. Thatís why Iím choosing my words carefully, doubling down on the bourbon, while once again wishing you and yours, a very happy, 2022.

    Good luck,
    Mike
    https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2021, 10:28 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-08-2021, 09:38 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2021, 08:41 PM
  4. WSJ: Signs of Risky Lending Emerge
    By bobbyw24 in forum Economy & Markets
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 09:16 AM
  5. Early Warning Signs of Facism
    By -lotus- in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 08:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •