Thread: Eric Clapton joins Van Morrison's anti-lockdown campaign with new song, 'Stand and Deliver'

Eric Clapton joins Van Morrison's anti-lockdown campaign with new song, 'Stand and Deliver'

Eric Clapton joins Van Morrison's anti-lockdown campaign with new song, 'Stand and Deliver'

Music legend Eric Clapton is joining Van Morrison’s efforts to reopen the live music industry amid the coronavirus pandemic by releasing a new anti-lockdown song called, “Stand and Deliver.”

The song, which was written by Mr. Morrison and performed by Mr. Clapton, will debut Dec. 4 and the proceeds will go toward Mr. Morrison’s Lockdown Financial Hardship Fund, which supports U.K. musicians who are facing financial hardship because of widespread government restrictions on live music, Variety reported.

“There are many of us who support Van and his endeavors to save live music; he is an inspiration,” Mr. Clapton told Variety. “We must stand up and be counted because we need to find a way out of this mess. The alternative is not worth thinking about. Live music might never recover.”

“Eric’s recording is fantastic and will clearly resonate with the many who share our frustrations,” Mr. Morrison told the outlet. “It is heartbreaking to see so many talented musicians lack any meaningful support from the government, but we want to reassure them that we are working hard every day to lobby for the return of live music, and to save our industry.”

Mr. Morrison launched his Save Live Music campaign in August and begged fellow musicians to “fight the pseudo-science” and join him. The “Brown Eyed Girl” singer recently released three songs protesting the U.K. lockdowns, titled “Born To Be Free,” “As I Walked Out” and “No More Lockdown.”

“I’m not telling people what to do or think, the government is doing a great job of that already,” Mr. Morrison said at the time. “It’s about freedom of choice, I believe people should have the right to think for themselves.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-lockdown-cam/
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Glad to see someone join Van. The poor guy has been taking a beating from the covid cultists. Many musicians are too afraid of that crowd.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

About 15 years ago Van Morrison was going to perform at a nearby facility. I thought about going until I found out tickets were $300 per seat.
    The only people that even know of these artists are old timers. Over Thanksgiving, put on George Michael and Elton John performing Don't Let the Sun Go Down on me. The young adults at the table never heard the song before and don't know any Elton John songs.
    When the less than middle class are suffering, I have little sympathy for the stars of yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Glad to see someone join Van. The poor guy has been taking a beating from the covid cultists. Many musicians are too afraid of that crowd.
    Indeed. Most people in the music industry and hyping up the coronavirus.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    About 15 years ago Van Morrison was going to perform at a nearby facility. I thought about going until I found out tickets were $300 per seat.
    The only people that even know of these artists are old timers. Over Thanksgiving, put on George Michael and Elton John performing Don't Let the Sun Go Down on me. The young adults at the table never heard the song before and don't know any Elton John songs.
    When the less than middle class are suffering, I have little sympathy for the stars of yesteryear.
    They aren't suffering. They just want to play music live. And more than likely, because of their position, they are puttiing out a narrative that younger musicians cannot make without being eviscerated as "selfish."

“Eric’s recording is fantastic and will clearly resonate with the many who share our frustrations,” Mr. Morrison told the outlet. “It is heartbreaking to see so many talented musicians lack any meaningful support from the government,
    Full stop, right there. As if I didn't know that was coming. Hahahaha.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Full stop, right there. As if I didn't know that was coming. Hahahaha.
    No, this is one of those cases where you don't want to stop there. This is Van Morrison. He's saying that government needs to support the music industry by giving the the freedom to perform as they wish. He's not asking for handouts. (although, if he got music venues or session musicians handouts as recompense for what the government did to them, I'm sure he wouldn't ask them throw it back.)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    No, this is one of those cases where you don't want to stop there. This is Van Morrison. He's saying that government needs to support the music industry by giving the the freedom to perform as they wish. He's not asking for handouts. (although, if he got music venues or session musicians handouts as recompense for what the government did to them, I'm sure he wouldn't ask them throw it back.)
    Well, you may be right. I'm not sure that's 100% correct considering the personalities involved.
    "The Patriarch"

I like that Van Morrison song where it's like
    Naaaaa Na Nana Na
    Na Nana Na
    Na Nana Na
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

I supported some live music just last night. I went to a local tavern to grab a couple tacos and a couple beers and one of the musicians came in early to set up. Only three customers in the venue at that point. I bought him a beer when he was setting up and when he and his partner were playing, I dropped a $20 in the tip can. I doubt I'll ever see another stadium concert again. They were fun in my teens and 20s, but too much overhead these days even without covid passports and TSA. Three figure ticket prices? I'm pretty much tavern-only these days.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

I guess they will support the vaccine passport thing too right?

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    I like that Van Morrison song where it's like
    Naaaaa Na Nana Na
    Na Nana Na
    Na Nana Na
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·