Thread: Body armor: Holiday sale.

Body armor: Holiday sale.

Just picked up cold hard cash from my local firearms dealer from the sale of an S&W .40 package. Decided to put some of it into some armor.

I've looked through some various mix & match etc. Positive negatives regarding steel vs. plate. Spalling, carriers etc. It's a deep hole to dive in.

Honestly you can spend hours and hours researching this product. I have.

Talked to my paramours son today. Iraq Army vet. A ceramic plate saved his life. Not from a bullet but from some ordinance frag. He actually wanted to bring the plate home to frame and the $#@!ers wouldn't let him. He said he's never worn steel, but he heard the weight was cumbersome. Said he would go ceramic, because the pounds added by steel were not worth it. Better to carry more ammo. "The point is to shoot the other motherfucker, not to stand there and get shot multiple times. The more you have to put down range the better."

So I just decided to make a Black Friday purchase.

RTS tactical carrier with two level IV SAPI curved ceramic plates. $399.99. Apply discount code "Ceramic30" for a $30 discount. So $369.99. And a $10 gift card. So maybe in the future some side plates, but don't intend much CQC, so...

Anyways here is the link...

https://www.rtstactical.com/brands/r...SABEgJhk_D_BwE

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The old frag/flak vests are too heavy unless your a college level linebacker who can run an 11 second 100 . I never wore mine because I couldnt move fast enough in it but I weighed less than 150 at the time. I'm 200 now and could wear it if I was still as quick now as then but I'm not. So the ceramic is the way to go . Been thinking about it for 12 yrs or so but have not yet .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    The old frag/flak vests are too heavy unless your a college level linebacker who can run an 11 second 100 . I never wore mine because I couldnt move fast enough in it but I weighed less than 150 at the time. I'm 200 now and could wear it if I was still as quick now as then but I'm not. So the ceramic is the way to go . Been thinking about it for 12 yrs or so but have not yet .
    Yeah, I'm no spring chicken. Even the weight from the smallest things add up quick.

Well, I like my RTS Level IV and carrier.

First off the customer service is A-1. For some reason my Black Friday discount code didn't apply. I emailed. 2 days later they responded saying they would refund me. The next day a Rep called asking if I wanted to forego the repayment for a mag holder. said "I got one," two days later was refunded the difference.

Without a lot of ammo, 300 rds, to waste through much practice I can only give this impression.

I've never worn body armor. It's heavy. These RTS level IV are ceramic so they are supposed to be lighter than steel plate. I suppose someone that has served and worn these understand. But, there is a significant weight factor.
    Now, given the weight, the RTS load out was tight and centered. The vest is a good one. Well constructed.
    I've shot standing, kneeling and on the ground side-prone. It's a weight, bulk, that can be adapted to.
    My observation is this. If I were defending I would wear one. If I were doing standard patrols, I would wear one. If I were doing some miles of infil I'd forego it. Hit and run.
    I'm 56 yrs. old and a smoker. I'm NOT going to do much of "runnin' and gunnin'."
    So, it's a good tool. To be used in certain instances. From my view, doing the best I can for a strategic retreat.

I have been thinking about trying to make some body armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Now that's thinking outside the box!
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kevlar+cl...l_9rpk1j8uab_e

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Now that's thinking outside the box!
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kevlar+cl...l_9rpk1j8uab_e
    Thanks for the link I was thinking of making all the components myself but the already made kevar fabric could make it easier. I am into ceramics I have combined several different substances and molded and poured some interesting stuff. I started out makeing stepping stones out of mud and started meting down plastic grocery bags to a liquid and mixed with mud and gravel. It is a lot of fun playing in the mud. I think I am going to pave my drive with it I gotta get rid of some old cars and an old camper laying around first.

BTW my dad was in the navy during WW11 on a submarine.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks for the link I was thinking of making all the components myself but the already made kevar fabric could make it easier. I am into ceramics I have combined several different substances and molded and poured some interesting stuff. I started out makeing stepping stones out of mud and started meting down plastic grocery bags to a liquid and mixed with mud and gravel. It is a lot of fun playing in the mud. I think I am going to pave my drive with it I gotta get rid of some old cars and an old camper laying around first.

BTW my dad was in the navy during WW11 on a submarine.
    That is very interesting and you are obviously very innovative and intelligent. I have a great deal of admiration and respect for the submariners of WW2. We owe them a lot. I would like to hear how your paving comes out and please be careful. Those fumes can't be healthy.

I would like to hear how your paving comes out and please be careful. Those fumes can't be healthy.
    I cover my with a fume mask and also stand down wind.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrp12 View Post
    I sold my ar500's just too heavy. Been giving these a look. https://www.shotstop.net/rifle-plates-duritium-ivhs
    Those are really interesting plates. Wish I'd have seen them before ordering. My nephew asked me about armor and I forwarded this info to him. If he buys I'll ask his opinion and get back to you.

Just a heads up to those thinking of constructing their own, Kevlar may stop pistol rounds but Kevlar is not really rated to stop rifle rds. in a practical way. It would be seriously bulky from what I understand. I'm not an expert by any means. And if someone wants to prove me wrong, then please do. My research was specifically into body armor that could stop most rifle rounds. For that it seems that you have two choices. Thinner/heavier AR500 steel or thicker lighter ceramics. If you were concerned with pistol rounds such as you might be as a security guard then "soft" armor like Kevlar would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Those are really interesting plates. Wish I'd have seen them before ordering. My nephew asked me about armor and I forwarded this info to him. If he buys I'll ask his opinion and get back to you.
    Much appreciated.

Just a heads up to those thinking of constructing their own, Kevlar may stop pistol rounds but Kevlar is not really rated to stop rifle rds. in a practical way. It would be seriously bulky from what I understand. I'm not an expert by any means. And if someone wants to prove me wrong, then please do. My research was specifically into body armor that could stop most rifle rounds. For that it seems that you have two choices. Thinner/heavier AR500 steel or thicker lighter ceramics. If you were concerned with pistol rounds such as you might be as a security guard then "soft" armor like Kevlar would be a better choice.
    Maybe a Marshmallow man outfit with ceramic, Kevlar, and Lexan plates?

I cover my with a fume mask and also stand down wind.
    I figured ya had that covered.

Maybe a Marshmallow man outfit with ceramic, Kevlar, and Lexan plates?
    Lol.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lol.
    Seriously, that's where this seems to be going lol. As for me, I opt to avoid being in the line of fire. A head shot for instance, makes even the best armor useless.
    Last edited by navy-vet; 02-02-2021 at 01:59 PM.

If I decide to use kevlar it will be used to cover the ceramic. I want it to be as light weight as possible because I am small and old. But to get used to it I would probably wear it doing yard work and stuff that way I can tweak it as I work with it.

If I decide to use kevlar it will be used to cover the ceramic. I want it to be as light weight as possible because I am small and old. But to get used to it I would probably wear it doing yard work and stuff that way I can tweak it as I work with it.
    I love ingenuity and creation. Keep us posted.