Thread: Pandemic Reading List

Pandemic Reading List

So, I was just looking at my book shelf and realized how many books I've read since this whole thing started and began thinking that maybe others have done the same. I've always been a reader, but I've never piled them up by a timeline before. It's always kinda been finish one than start another so I don't know if my pace has changed (maybe it has), but I've been putting my "Covid Collection" aside. Here's my list and I really hope to see yours! (even if it's only one or two):

• The Grid - Gretchen Bakke (a leftist sociological take on the electric grid)
    • The Man Versus the State - Herbert Spencer (Must read if you haven't yet. I picked it up the day they closed the schools )
    • Free to Choose - Milton Friedman
    • Outliers - Malcom Gladwell
    • The Art of Strategy - Avinash Dixit and Barry Nalebuff
    • Undaunted Courage - Stephen Ambrose (I took a trip and traced the L&C trail from Pittsburgh to Oregon and back after reading this book)
    • Thomas Jefferson, The Art of Power - Jon Meachem
    • Total Recall - Arnold Schwarzenegger
    • Intellectuals and Race - Thomas Sowell (got this when society turned a cop issue into a race issue)
    • Don Quixote - Cervantes (This one was recorded - listened to it on that long road/camping trip - he he, during a pandemic )
    • A Personal Odyssey - Thomas Sowell
    • The Indifferent Stars Above - Daniel James Brown
    • Thomas Paine and the Clarion Call for American Independence - Harlow Giles Unger
    • Don't Hurt People and Take Their Stuff - Matt Kibbe
    • Electricity Restructuring: The Texas Story - Lynne Kiesling (I work in energy policy - you haven't seen regulation until you've seen the electric sector and Texas is sadly one of the best)
    • Contagious: Why Things Catch On - Jonah Berger
    • Endurance - Alfred Lansing (One of the most incredible true stories ever!)
    • Stay Fit and Healthy Until Your Dead - Dave Barry
    • Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman
    • Nudge - Richard Thaler & Cass Sunstein
    • Range - David Epstein (reading now)
    • Conscious Leadership - John Mackey (next up)

Yours?
    Last edited by CaptUSA; 11-25-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "The Canadian Mounted"

We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment. - C. S. Lewis

The Plague, Albert Camus

So far...

The Collected Ghost Stories - E. F. Benson

Orthodoxy And The Kingdom Of Satan - Father Spyridon Bailey
    "People constantly speak of 'the government'
    doing this or that, as they might speak of God doing it.
    But the government is really nothing but a group of men,
    and usually they are very inferior men."
    -- H. L. Mencken

“Discipline must come through liberty... We do not consider an individual disciplined when he has been rendered as artificially silent as a mute and as immovable as a paralytic. He is an individual annihilated, not disciplined.” -- Maria Montessori

Currently reading "The Fighting Bunch: The Battle of Athens and How World War II Veterans Won the Only Successful Armed Rebellion Since the Revolution."
    At the half-way point. So far it has detailed some of the key individuals and the battles they fought in as well as the many abuses of the Democrat machine. This was in the 1940's and it's the same $#@! going on today. Not allowing election observers, ballot stuffing, absentee ballot fraud, etc. Even election machine tampering.

Adding to the list for future refence...

• Range - David Epstein (complete)
    • Conscious Leadership - John Mackey (complete)
    • Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World - Jack Weatherford
    • Son of a Milkman - Brian Wheat
    • Enlightenment Now - Steven Pinker (reading now)
    • Originals - Adam Grant (on deck)
    • Flow - The Psychology of Optimal Experience - Mihaly Csikzentmihalyi (in the queue)

Running low on literary fiction, if anyone has some suggestions...
    Last edited by CaptUSA; 12-28-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

I have completed maybe three fiction books in ten years but I highly recommend all three.

I couldn't put Speculator and Drug Lord by Doug Casey down. I kind of think of Casey as screwy gold anarchist but he writes really well. They are like Ayn Rand novels but readable and about more interesting topics. I give both of them A+ grades.

Also watching Queens Gambit on Netflix. Great show. Based on a novel by a guy who wrote The Hustler and Color of Money so the novel is probably good.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 12-28-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I have completed maybe three fiction books in ten years but I highly recommend all three.

I couldn't put Speculator and Drug Lord by Doug Casey down. I kind of think of Casey as screwy gold anarchist but he writes really well. They are like Ayn Rand novels but readable and about more interesting topics. I give both of them A+ grades.

Also watching Queens Gambit on Netflix. Great show. Based on a novel by a guy who wrote The Hustler and Color of Money so the novel is probably good.
    Thanks for this. I see that those Doug Casey books are part of a "High Ground" series... There's a third one that was released in October, if you're interested. I'm going to add the first one to my January list and I'll let you know what I think. +Rep.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.