Thread: Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five

Finished listening to this book a couple of days ago on audible and apparently people say it is a classic. I knew nothing of this book before I downloaded it and I haven't read any explanations about it since I finished.

I can't say I would recommend this book. The whole book is a series of flashforwards and flashbacks. With a few numbers of people killed in the bombing of Dresden thrown in the mix. I don't get it perhaps someone can explain it to me?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a meh. People like Vonnegut's style. Not my cup of tea.

I think people like it because it came out in 1969 at the height of anti-war protests. And it treated war massacre with a sort of nonchalant humor. So it goes.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by mtr1979 View Post
    I don't get it perhaps someone can explain it to me?
    It is the writing of a Survivor of the Dresden Firebombing.

A fictional recreation of real events..

Slaughterhouse-Five is still being banned in schools.
    for what that is worth.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    It is the writing of a Survivor of the Dresden Firebombing.

A fictional recreation of real events..

Slaughterhouse-Five is still being banned in schools.
    for what that is worth.
    Gee I wonder why it is banned? It might have something to do with the sexually explicit content. While I think it is mild by today's standards. It doesn't matter what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mtr1979 View Post
    Gee I wonder why it is banned? It might have something to do with the sexually explicit content. While I think it is mild by today's standards. It doesn't matter what I think.
    F bombs and Death as commonplace. So it goes.

Might also have to do with the horrors the Author survived to write about.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom