Thread: What does the community think of the Ruger LCP?

Exclamation What does the community think of the Ruger LCP?

Going to bite the bullet so to speak and pick up a couple of these.

I know I know...Little Crappy Pistol.

But I like the ease of carry.

What's the board's thoughts on these...anybody have one?

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not a big fan. It is small and does conceal well. But, having shot them I'd give them 3-7 yds. in a fight. I had a derringer that shot about as well.

If you want concealed you have a big enough frame for a Springfield Hellcat. 13 in mag and one in chamber = 14. 9mm. I'm a scrawney assed 160# 5'9". I don't have a problem with it printing when using my JM4 holster. And the Springfield cycles every manufacturer rd. I have put through it. Not something I can say with the LCP I got to try. My experience with the LCP was limited to a day. So I don't know that I can judge. Just wasn't impressed with the one I shot.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    . I'm a scrawney assed 160# 5'9".
    120-130,, 5'8" , and can carry a full size 1911,, concealed..

I personally don't care to conceal,, and have only done so when it was nefarious.

I really don't like most of the "new" guns,, with funky triggers..
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Size comparisons. And I've been told by Progressives that I have a small dick because I drive a pick-up. So I must have a small hand.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

I personally don't care to conceal,, and have only done so when it was nefarious.

I get you on the "funky" triggers. But, well, adaption.... it comes with life. The Hellcat has a pretty good trigger considering. IMHO. And things like this vary for anyone.

My advise AF is find a local shooting range that rents firearms. Bring your own ammo because they will charge you out the ass. Try a couple guns out.

I prefer Micro-compacts to the sub compacts. Larger caliber more rounds. Half-way between full and sub.

I have no experience with either but consider this:

A subcompact pistol with a compact length Bbl

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I get you on the "funky" triggers. But, well, adaption.... it comes with life. The Hellcat has a pretty good trigger considering. IMHO. And things like this vary for anyone.

My advise AF is find a local shooting range that rents firearms. Bring your own ammo because they will charge you out the ass. Try a couple guns out.

I prefer Micro-compacts to the sub compacts. Larger caliber more rounds. Half-way between full and sub.
    Just what I am going to do.

I find that, while well equipped long gun wise, I find myself coming up short WRT handguns,

An M-9, a pair of 686s and a Taurus .38 are about it.

None really suited to daily, without exception carry, which is required these days.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

How much will you get for it thru the upcoming buyback program?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    .380 ACP Battle: The Kel-Tec P-3AT vs. The Ruger LCP

I've been carrying a Kel-Tec P-3AT for the past 15 years and like it just fine for what it is.

After reading this article, I may buy the Ruger LCP just to find out for myself if it's really that much better.

This is my EDC gun. I have it in .32 and .380. I like that it’s steel and disappears in my pocket. I carry in a wallet or pocket holster.
    Nothing wrong with Ruger, the Seecamp is just smaller. Had a Beretta Tomcat in .32 before the Seecamp. Liked the tip up barrel but it just wasn’t reliable.

"Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Size comparisons. And I've been told by Progressives that I have a small dick because I drive a pick-up. So I must have a small hand.

I drive a pick-up. And have no dick. And small hands. Leftards are spot on.

I'm actually jealous of you. I look like I'm sporting a hernia when I attempt CC.

I'm looking to purchase a Sig Sauer p365. I know sig is $$$ but I like the way they feel/fire (I have arthritis in my hands).

Heard ammo backorders are to the tune of over 1 billion $ and companies are a solid year behind production. Rumor: do not expect .380 acp to be produced for years to come.
    a comprehensive website about critical theory and how it's destroying our civilization: https://newdiscourses.com

Skip the LCP and go to the LCPII. It's a MUCH better trigger and uses the same accessories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    How much will you get for it thru the upcoming buyback program?
    I'm sorry sir, but I lost all my firearms in a tragic boating accident.

Good advice, keep it coming.

I admit to having a soft spot for .380 pistols, years ago I carried a Sig P230 on a regular basis.

Never should have sold that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by flightlesskiwi View Post
    I drive a pick-up. And have no dick. And small hands. Leftards are spot on.

I'm actually jealous of you. I look like I'm sporting a hernia when I attempt CC.

I'm looking to purchase a Sig Sauer p365. I know sig is $$$ but I like the way they feel/fire (I have arthritis in my hands).

Heard ammo backorders are to the tune of over 1 billion $ and companies are a solid year behind production. Rumor: do not expect .380 acp to be produced for years to come.
    https://www.ammograb.com/380-acp/

Thanks fam.

I'm stocked. Thank god.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Had one at one point and it jammed like a SOB.

Helped reflexes on clearing malfunctions if nothing else.

I would go for the Shield if budget is what you are looking for.

Or a good old FN if not.

Sight profile is amazing and works everytime.

FWIW the only Ruger I'd give a pass on is the Mini 14.

Every other Ruger I've had has had significant failures.

There's just better options out there for similar price point and I'm at the point of $#@!ting on their brand on principle.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 11-21-2020 at 06:43 PM.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Had one at one point and it jammed like a SOB.

Helped reflexes on clearing malfunctions if nothing else.

I would go for the Shield if budget is what you are looking for.

Or a good old FN if not.

Sight profile is amazing and works everytime.

FWIW the only Ruger I'd give a pass on is the Mini 14.

Every other Ruger I've had has had significant failures.

There's just better options out there for similar price point and I'm at the point of $#@!ting on their brand on principle.
    I've got two FN rifles that are my "go - to" weapons. I've shot the FNX .45

Of course both of those are outstanding guns, FN makes nothing but high quality.

But the FNS you showed weighs twice as much as the LCPII. Of course it is substantially more gun, but the only reason for even looking at the LCPII is the extremely low weight and small size. There are a couple of carry hurdles I'm trying to get around, and if the LCPII is too unreliable, then I'll just continue to wear my shoulder rig and M9. It's PITA but I know that works, I know I've got at least 32 rounds, and I don't have to spend anything extra.

Tell me, what wouldn't the gun run on: JHP round nosed, FMJ rounds, JHP flat nose? Any particular brand? Did you finally nail an ammo that worked properly all the time?

I agree about the Mini14 - that and a pair of 10/22s are the only Rugers I've owned, of course they are both legends.

It certainly looks like a well designed gun.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I've got two FN rifles that are my "go - to" weapons. I've shot the FNX .45

Of course both of those are outstanding guns, FN makes nothing but high quality.

But the FNS you showed weighs twice as much as the LCPII. Of course it is substantially more gun, but the only reason for even looking at the LCPII is the extremely low weight and small size. There are a couple of carry hurdles I'm trying to get around, and if the LCPII is too unreliable, then I'll just continue to wear my shoulder rig and M9. It's PITA but I know that works, I know I've got at least 32 rounds, and I don't have to spend anything extra.

Tell me, what wouldn't the gun run on: JHP round nosed, FMJ rounds, JHP flat nose? Any particular brand? Did you finally nail an ammo that worked properly all the time?

I agree about the Mini14 - that and a pair of 10/22s are the only Rugers I've owned, of course they are both legends.
    It didn’t like much of any ammo. Shot white box, Remington, Federal, Shockwaves... it had issues with everything. It did the best with Shockwaves surprisingly enough.

Read a little bit about it and they mentioned similar problems. Most polished the feed ramp or replaced magazines. I polished the feed ramp and it still gave me problems.

Probably just a dud and it happens.

If I’m pocket carrying now it’s a revolver. Of the two ultra compacts I’ve carried both have had issues of one sort or another. The other one was a $169 Taurus TCP. Thought my hands might have been too big or something causing it to move around but it gave problems to anyone who shot them.

The Shield is a nice option. Probably 40% more weight but I don’t notice it much.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Guy like AF should just be carrying a Desert Eagle and a half dozen mags . That'd give ya 42 rounds of hollow point .50 Cal . LOL
    Last edited by oyarde; 11-23-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Guy like AF should just be carrying a Desert Eagle and a half dozen mags . That'd give ya 42 rounds of hollow point .50 Cal . LOL
    That's part of the problem.

I'm already carrying too much AF around.

Your rig would add another 10-15 lbs to haul around.

I got the coyote special back when Rick Perry killed a coyote. Decent gun but I don't carry it. Heck of a long trigger.

@TheTexan
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post

I got the coyote special back when Rick Perry killed a coyote. Decent gun but I don't carry it. Heck of a long trigger.

@TheTexan
    Now that's a gun TheTexan would get.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    Skip the LCP and go to the LCPII. It's a MUCH better trigger and uses the same accessories.

I'll second this!
    Just because it was what i had at the time... I was able to stop a pesky groundhog from undermining my smoke house at ~25 yrds.
    Great shooter LCPII. So much more comfortable to shoot than the LCP too (had that first).

Quote Originally Posted by Lifesoup View Post
    I'll second this!
    Just because it was what i had at the time... I was able to stop a pesky groundhog from undermining my smoke house at ~25 yrds.
    Great shooter LCPII. So much more comfortable to shoot than the LCP too (had that first).
    That's what I did, been carrying and practicing my draw for a couple months now.

So far so good, one single failure to feed on the stock mag was the only failure, with the Ruger OEM 7 round extended mag, had no failures of any type of ammo.

Do not like the inability to safely carry with one in the chamber and no way to cock the striker/hammer.

The only way is to carry Condition One, and that is just not safe with a pocket gun and nothing but that plastic trigger dongle to prevent an unintended discharge.

Other than that it shoots nice for what it is, and is extremely easy to carry, which is its primary function.

That's what I did, been carrying and practicing my draw for a couple months now.

So far so good, one single failure to feed on the stock mag was the only failure, with the Ruger OEM 7 round extended mag, had no failures of any type of ammo.

Do not like the inability to safely carry with one in the chamber and no way to cock the striker/hammer.

The only way is to carry Condition One, and that is just not safe with a pocket gun and nothing but that plastic trigger dongle to prevent an unintended discharge.

Other than that it shoots nice for what it is, and is extremely easy to carry, which is its primary function.
    I carry mine with one in the chamber, every day.

In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    I carry mine with one in the chamber, every day.

Is that the LCP or the LCPII?

The first versions were DAO which I'd have no problem with carrying with one chambered.

The LCPII is hammerless SAO with no "bar" safety, which I have seen too many people shoot themselves with Glocks with the same trigger.

YMMV of course and it's not for me to say how much risk one wants to take on something like that.

But I'll stick with the 7 round mags and just make sure my draw practice always includes charging the chamber.

Who made that holster by the way...can't quite read the tag.

The first versions were DAO which I'd have no problem with carrying with one chambered.

The LCPII is hammerless SAO with no "bar" safety, which I have seen too many people shoot themselves with Glocks with the same trigger.

YMMV of course and it's not for me to say how much risk one wants to take on something like that.

But I'll stick with the 7 round mags and just make sure my draw practice always includes charging the chamber.

I think it is a Tiger holster . I use some Israeli Mossad holster ( Fobus ) for my 9 in honor of ED .
    Do something Danke

It's the II. The holster is a Tagua. I'm not sure this holster is available any more, it was in the box o' deals when I bought the pistol. They come new with a similar sleeve from Ruger so the LGS threw it in.
    It is just like a Remora and holds the pistol pretty well in the pocket blocking access to the trigger.
    I understand your thoughts on this, I sold a Bersa BP9CC for that very reason. Sweet, sweet trigger but it had a wide tilting "trigger safety" that was very easy to engage accidentally. So far I am confident in this setup as it takes pushing the holster off the gun with two fingers as it is drawn to get it out of the holster.