Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oregon counties seek to secede from Oregon & join Idaho

Exclamation Oregon counties seek to secede from Oregon & join Idaho

Secession in the Pacific Northwest? Some Oregon residents petition to join Idaho

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...de/4789936002/

Kristin Lam
    USA TODAY

Frustrated by liberal policies, some Oregon residents are petitioning to leave the state –by moving the border with Idaho westward.

The movement has secured initial approval from two counties and aims to get enough signatures to put the proposal on local ballots in November, said the group Move Oregon's Border for a Greater Idaho.

If the group succeeds, voters in southeast Oregon may see a question on whether their county should become part of Idaho by redrawing the border.

“Rural counties have become increasingly outraged by laws coming out of the Oregon Legislature that threaten our livelihoods, our industries, our wallet, our gun rights, and our values,” Mike McCarter, one of the chief petitioners, said in a press release. “We tried voting those legislators out but rural Oregon is outnumbered and our voices are now ignored. This is our last resort.”

more at link...
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    City vs Country.

Again.

Still.

Starve the cities! Thin the heard.

If they form a union with the State of Jefferson (N. California & S. Oregon), that's two States independent of the USMCA clusterflop.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 02-18-2020 at 07:34 AM. Reason: USMCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Something tells me that isn't going to make it to the ballot. Like how Calexit was stopped from being on the ballot last presidential election.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    If they form a union with the State of Jefferson (N. California & S. Oregon), that's two States independent of the USMCA clusterflop.
    I'd love the State of Jefferson!
    There is no spoon.

I am approve these shenanigans.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

So you're saying Harold Covington died too soon?

Greater Idaho for the win!
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some states are too big, and should be more than one state. It’s also nice to give rural areas some say in their states and the federal government.

But any new state that is created will be strategically infiltrated and co-opted. Leftist billionaires and companies will move jobs there, create an urban center, and populate it with leftists until they dominate the new state.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Some states are too big, and should be more than one state. It’s also nice to give rural areas some say in their states and the federal government.

But any new state that is created will be strategically infiltrated and co-opted. Leftist billionaires and companies will move jobs there, create an urban center, and populate it with leftists until they dominate the new state.
    That's why joining another conservative state is such a good idea.

It adds conservatives to an already conservative state and deprives a liberal state of population and taxes.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Good luck.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Oregon's 2020 legislative session imploded Thursday amid a boycott by minority Republicans over a climate change measure, an action they have taken repeatedly and which Democrats say threatens democratic rule.In response, Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, is finalizing executive actions that will reduce Oregon’s greenhouse gas emissions, House Speaker Tina Kotek told the chamber as the session ended early. The GOP walkout resulted in not only the bill aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions being killed, but many other measures, including on gun control and housing for the homeless.
    Frustration boiled into the open after Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger, Jr., said his party would return on Sunday only to vote on emergency budget bills. At a news conference, Democratic lawmakers, some struggling to keep their composure, said representative democracy is at stake by repeated use of walkouts to deny a quorum and freeze all legislation.
    “It's a historical precedent that I think shows us where we're headed and ... that anytime they are not happy with any sort of bill, our government is going to be shut down,” said Rep. Diego Hernandez, a Democrat from Portland.
    Senate President Peter Courtney took the podium and responded to Baertschiger's offer by declaring the session over.
    "All of us are going to be in history one day as the Legislature that failed the fifth short session,” Courtney said. This was the fifth short session since even-year 35-day sessions began in 2012.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/oregon-gop-la...195038482.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Oregon's 2020 legislative session imploded Thursday amid a boycott by minority Republicans over a climate change measure, an action they have taken repeatedly and which Democrats say threatens democratic rule.In response, Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, is finalizing executive actions that will reduce Oregon’s greenhouse gas emissions, House Speaker Tina Kotek told the chamber as the session ended early. The GOP walkout resulted in not only the bill aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions being killed, but many other measures, including on gun control and housing for the homeless.
    Frustration boiled into the open after Senate Republican Leader Herman Baertschiger, Jr., said his party would return on Sunday only to vote on emergency budget bills. At a news conference, Democratic lawmakers, some struggling to keep their composure, said representative democracy is at stake by repeated use of walkouts to deny a quorum and freeze all legislation.
    “It's a historical precedent that I think shows us where we're headed and ... that anytime they are not happy with any sort of bill, our government is going to be shut down,” said Rep. Diego Hernandez, a Democrat from Portland.
    Senate President Peter Courtney took the podium and responded to Baertschiger's offer by declaring the session over.
    "All of us are going to be in history one day as the Legislature that failed the fifth short session,” Courtney said. This was the fifth short session since even-year 35-day sessions began in 2012.

Shut_it_down.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Shut_it_down.
    Civil disobedience and sabotage is the key to making them agree to let the rural counties join Idaho.

Hopefully Washington can follow.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Civil disobedience and sabotage is the key to making them agree to let the rural counties join Idaho.

Hopefully Washington can follow.
    If Eastern Washington joins Idaho I'm in. But it won't happen. Either way I'll be in Idaho or Montana in the next 5 years.
    "The Patriarch"

Good.

We can do just what the Bolshies claim to do:

Become Ungovernable.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In an end run around Republican legislators, Oregon’s Democratic governor ordered the state on Tuesday to lower greenhouse gas emissions, directing a state agency to set and enforce caps on pollution from industry and transportation fuels. Gov. Kate Brown’s sweeping executive order, one of the boldest in the nation, aims to reduce carbon emissions to at least 45% below 1990 levels by 2035 and an 80% reduction from 1990 levels by 2050. It more than doubles a clean fuels program, making it the most ambitious goal for clean fuels in the country, Brown said at a news conference.
    “I’ve heard it loud and clear from our young people in Oregon: climate action is crucial and urgent,” Brown said, surrounded by students. “If we adults don’t take action right away, it is the next generation that will pay the price.”

Republicans lawmakers, a minority in the Legislature, staged a walkout during this year’s short session to sabotage a bill that aimed at many of the same climate goals. The boycott caused the session to end two days early on Friday, with only three bills passed and more than 100 dying, including the climate measure.
    Senate Republican leader Herman Baertschiger Jr. predicted Brown’s executive action would wind up in court.

“I think all this is going to do is initiate a whole bunch of lawsuits,” he said Monday. Brown’s legal team said it is confident they would prevail in any litigation.
    Baertschiger said many rural counties oppose the so-called cap-and-trade concept.
    “It’s obvious Kate Brown is not Oregon’s Governor, she is Portland’s Governor, and as she promised, she is serving revenge, cold and slowly,” he said in a statement.

More at: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...mate-change-e/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Exclamation Rural Oregon counties vote to discuss seceding from state to join ‘Greater Idaho’

Rural Oregon counties vote to discuss seceding from state to join ‘Greater Idaho’

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rural-...-greater-idaho

By Teny Sahakian | Fox News

A deep political divide between urban and rural areas has conservative residents feeling ignored by the state government

(And right there, shows the disconnect that the media organs have. No, Teny, that would would make them happy to have the state government "ignore" them - AF)

A group called Move Oregon's Border is leading an initiative to have Oregon's rural counties secede from the rest of the state and join Idaho.

Mike McCarter, 72, a retired plant nursery worker and lifelong Oregonian, has been leading the effort for almost two years. He said he and many others are eager to “get out from underneath the chokehold of Northwestern Oregon.”

“We’ve watched the shift take place in Oregon politics where the primary concern of the Legislature is Northwest Oregon. That’s where 78% of the state’s population is based. They tend to forget that every law that you pass in the state affects us out in the rural economies, too,” McCarter told Fox News.

He highlighted a number of benefits that come with being a citizen of Idaho, including lower taxes and generally more freedoms. Idaho is ranked No. 3 in regulatory freedom whereas Oregon is ranked No. 43, according to the Cato Institute.

Oregon’s state politics took a sharp left turn during the past 20 years, something that has not gone unnoticed by more conservative residents in the state’s rural communities. McCarter pointed to a recently passed law that made Oregon the first state to decriminalize possession of hard drugs.

“Now you look and you say, 'well, if you're homeless, if you're a hard drug user, if you're a rioter, if you're an illegal, come to Oregon - we’re a sanctuary state and you won't get in trouble.' And that's not the way conservatives feel in Oregon.”

Portland has seen months of violent protests and riots with little government intervention since the death of George Floyd in May in Minneapolis.

“Idaho is not a sanctuary state at all, and they want to protect their citizens. That's comforting, to live in a state like that who enforces the laws and not let the lawbreakers go free.”

A measure requiring local officials to meet on the subject of changing the border was on the ballot in four counties this past election. It passed in Jefferson and Union counties and was voted down by small margins in Douglas and Wallowa counties.

McCarter’s goal, however, is to get the issue as much attention as possible, since the final decision will lie with Oregon and Idaho state legislatures. The group hopes 19 of Oregon’s southern and eastern counties will secede and become part of what they call “Greater Idaho.”

If successful, the border change would no longer make Idaho a land-locked state, giving it two coastal counties, something McCarter said could be a key selling point for the neighboring state.

Move Oregon’s Border will continue collecting signatures for the May 2021 local elections in 11 other counties.

I'm itching to move there, border move or not. Family is all thats keeping us here. I know some who already went.
    "The Patriarch"

I was in Sherman County ,stranded for a while..

it ain't Portland.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Every red county of every blue state should be looking to join a nearby red state.

Because they are not creating a new state they only need either the two states to agree OR Congress to agree, they do not need both.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Every red county of every blue state should be looking to join a nearby red state.

Because they are not creating a new state they only need either the two states to agree OR Congress to agree, they do not need both.

BOOM!

Thanks for adding reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Hopefully this will start a trend that will be impossible to break.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 12-07-2020 at 08:37 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Exactly.

I believe that this is where all our efforts need to be focused on in the coming years.

The Rubicon has been crossed, the Marxist left has imported enough voters and rigged the rest so as to ensure uniparty rule, well, forever.

There is no other option but to carve out a new nation for ourselves.

Separate or Die.

Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

Last edited by Voluntarist; 12-07-2020 at 08:38 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Last edited by Voluntarist; 12-07-2020 at 08:39 PM.

Partition needs to happen everywhere, but it's not an easy task. Entrenched political powers make it near impossible.

Here's a helpful wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tion_proposals

So many big chunks of the country are being screwed by the big cities in their states. Upstate New York. PA west of the Susquehanna. Lower Illinois. The entire west that is not on the coast...

If you're looking for some optimism, it might only take one or two successes to begin a chain reaction.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    That 78% would appear to be an imposing obstacle - they have veto power over the deal. How many of that 78% want to rid themselves of those pesky Oregonians who want to leave Oregon and join Idaho?

Are there resources in the seceding counties (19 of Oregon’s southern and eastern counties) which the 78% would not want to lose control over?
    I've looked into this and the counties that want to leave are a fiscal drag on the state because the left has destroyed their rural economies, they have a outreach program to get the leftist counties to want to give them to Idaho.
    And they don't need the state of Oregon to agree if they get Congress to approve it because they are not making a new state, they are adjusting the borders of two existing states.

So a measure to meet and discuss (not secede) failed in two of the four counties (out of 19) in which the measure was on the ballot. That's not a promising sign.

As much as I'd like to see it - it's not in the cards. I mean, I live in Southern Illinois and would love to see the Illinois counties outside the Chicago metro area join with Missouri or Indiana - but it ain't gonna happen. The only way it's ever going to happen is if more people live in the rural counties than in the cities - and that kinda defeats the whole purpose.
    Few movements succeed right away at their start, the movement will grow and gain strength if they don't give up on it.

Another question I have is how do the people of Idaho look at this? I mean, what's in it for the 1.76 million people who live in Idaho, and why would they go along with it? Looking at this US News and World Report article which specifically mentions Idaho from 2018 to 2019:

If I'm in Idaho, I'm wondering how all of this is going to change the culture and character of my state, and how that's going to impact me in the long run. How many people are in those 19 Oregonian counties and what impact is this going to have on the people already living in Idaho?
    I believe the Governor and Legislature of Idaho have already expressed support for the idea, gaining the rural conservative counties from OR, northern CA and maybe WA in the future would be an excellent counter to all of the leftist CA residents moving to ID.

Would a simple majority vote in Oregon and Idaho be required - or a supermajority? Typically, on issues of such importance, a supermajority is required. Keep in mind that Idaho gave 33.1% of it's 2020 vote to Biden, and I'd expect that all of those Biden voters would be against conservative counties from Oregon (where the average vote for Trump was 75%) further diluting their vote. So if a supermajority is required, you'd have to get all of the remaining 2/3 of the vote in Idaho.
    Only a majority is required in the state legislatures or in Congress to adjust state borders.
    And the Oregon Constitution requires a higher than normal threshold for a quorum in their legislature which gives the Republicans the power to hold OR captive until they agree, they have already been using that to stop some taxes and laws. (This also gives OR another reason to want them gone)

We should all support this in every relevant state.
    Last edited by Swordsmyth; 11-20-2020 at 05:26 PM.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast