Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Greenwald resigns from The Intercept citing censorship of Joe Biden article

Glenn Greenwald resigns from The Intercept citing censorship of Joe Biden article

NEW: Glenn Greenwald Resigns From The Intercept With Scorched Earth Letter Accusing Editors of Censoring His Article on Joe Biden

By Charlie Nash
    Oct 29th, 2020, 1:51 pm

The Intercept co-founder Glenn Greenwald resigned from the news outlet, alleging censorship of his articles.

In a lengthy resignation letter on Thursday, Greenwald wrote, “The same trends of repression, censorship and ideological homogeneity plaguing the national press generally have engulfed the media outlet I co-founded, culminating in censorship of my own articles.”

Greenwald says the the outlet refused to publish an article he’d written critical of former Vice President Joe Biden. The Intercept co-founder alleges that the piece — which he plans to self-publish shortly — raises “critical questions about Biden’s conduct.”

“The Intercept’s editors, in violation of my contractual right of editorial freedom, censored an article I wrote this week, refusing to publish it unless I remove all sections critical of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, the candidate vehemently supported by all New-York-based Intercept editors involved in this effort at suppression,” Greenwald wrote.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/new-gl...-on-joe-biden/

resignation letter:
    https://greenwald.substack.com/p/my-...-the-intercept
    Last edited by jct74; 10-29-2020 at 12:52 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Start your own website", they said.

"You can write whatever you want", they said.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Hopefully traffic at that website drops to zero, and they all move over to GlennGreenwald.com or whatever website he is creating next.

And then he sues the $#@! out of them.
    Last edited by dannno; 10-29-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The defense of Joe Biden seems to be desperation.
    This isn't is a sign of someone winning election according to polls.

Not to surprised to see leftist democrats in favor of censorship and who are RBG supporters. Who never liked Glenn Greenwald.

Is this a parody account?
    Last edited by AngryCanadian; 10-29-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Good on Glenn!!!
    There is no spoon.

Good on him for doing that.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I was just about to post this story. jct74 beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    [...] GlennGreenwald.com or whatever website he is creating next.
    For the time being, he will be self-publishing his own stuff (including the Biden article) at his Substack account.

Apparently, they tried to intimidate him with lawyer-speak into not releasing his Biden article elsewhere, even though he is contractually permitted to publish any of his stories elsewhere if the The Intercept doesn't accept them.

Here's his public announcement of his resignation:

My Resignation From The Intercept
    https://greenwald.substack.com/p/my-...-the-intercept
    Glenn Greenwald (29 October 2020)

Today I sent my intention to resign from The Intercept, the news outlet I co-founded in 2013 with Jeremy Scahill and Laura Poitras, as well as from its parent company First Look Media.

The final, precipitating cause is that The Intercept’s editors, in violation of my contractual right of editorial freedom, censored an article I wrote this week, refusing to publish it unless I remove all sections critical of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, the candidate vehemently supported by all New-York-based Intercept editors involved in this effort at suppression.

The censored article, based on recently revealed emails and witness testimony, raised critical questions about Biden’s conduct. Not content to simply prevent publication of this article at the media outlet I co-founded, these Intercept editors also demanded that I refrain from exercising a separate contractual right to publish this article with any other publication.

I had no objection to their disagreement with my views of what this Biden evidence shows: as a last-ditch attempt to avoid being censored, I encouraged them to air their disagreements with me by writing their own articles that critique my perspectives and letting readers decide who is right, the way any confident and healthy media outlet would. But modern media outlets do not air dissent; they quash it. So censorship of my article, rather than engagement with it, was the path these Biden-supporting editors chose.

The censored article will be published on this page shortly. My letter of intent to resign, which I sent this morning to First Look Media’s President Michael Bloom, is published below.

As of now, I will be publishing my journalism here on Substack, where numerous other journalists, including my good friend, the great intrepid reporter Matt Taibbi, have come in order to practice journalism free of the increasingly repressive climate that is engulfing national mainstream media outlets across the country.

[...]

[T]he brute censorship this week of my article - about the Hunter Biden materials and Joe Biden’s conduct regarding Ukraine and China, as well my critique of the media’s rank-closing attempt, in a deeply unholy union with Silicon Valley and the “intelligence community,” to suppress its revelations - eroded the last justification I could cling to for staying. It meant that not only does this media outlet not provide the editorial freedom to other journalists, as I had so hopefully envisioned seven years ago, but now no longer even provides it to me. In the days heading into a presidential election, I am somehow silenced from expressing any views that random editors in New York find disagreeable, and now somehow have to conform my writing and reporting to cater to their partisan desires and eagerness to elect specific candidates.

[...]

Numerous other episodes were also contributing causes to my decision to leave: the Reality Winner cover-up; the decision to hang Lee Fang out to dry and even force him to apologize when a colleague tried to destroy his reputation by publicly, baselessly and repeatedly branding him a racist; its refusal to report on the daily proceedings of the Assange extradition hearing because the freelance supporter doing an outstanding job was politically distasteful; its utter lack of editorial standards when it comes to viewpoints or reporting that flatter the beliefs of its liberal base (The Intercept published some of the most credulous and false affirmations of maximalist Russiagate madness, and, horrifyingly, took the lead in falsely branding the Hunter Biden archive as “Russian disinformation” by mindlessly and uncritically citing — of all things — a letter by former CIA officials that contained this baseless insinuation).

[...]

And none of the critiques I have voiced about The Intercept are unique to it. To the contrary: these are the raging battles over free expression and the right of dissent raging within every major cultural, political and journalistic institution. That’s the crisis that journalism, and more broadly values of liberalism, faces. Our discourse is becoming increasingly intolerant of dissenting views, and our culture is demanding more and more submission to prevailing orthodoxies imposed by self-anointed monopolists of Truth and Righteousness, backed up by armies of online enforcement mobs.

And nothing is crippled by that trend more severely than journalism, which, above all else, requires the ability of journalists to offend and anger power centers, question or reject sacred pieties, unearth facts that reflect negatively even on (especially on)the most beloved and powerful figures, and highlight corruption no matter where it is found and regardless of who is benefited or injured by its exposure.

Prior to the extraordinary experience of being censored this week by my own news outlet, I had already been exploring the possibility of creating a new media outlet. I have spent a couple of months in active discussions with some of the most interesting, independent and vibrant journalists, writers and commentators across the political spectrum about the feasibility of securing financing for a new outlet that would be designed to combat these trends. The first two paragraphs of our working document reads as follows:

American media is gripped in a polarized culture war that is forcing journalism to conform to tribal, groupthink narratives that are often divorced from the truth and cater to perspectives that are not reflective of the broader public but instead a minority of hyper-partisan elites. The need to conform to highly restrictive, artificial cultural narratives and partisan identities has created a repressive and illiberal environment in which vast swaths of news and reporting either do not happen or are presented through the most skewed and reality-detached lens.

With nearly all major media institutions captured to some degree by this dynamic, a deep need exists for media that is untethered and free to transgress the boundaries of this polarized culture war and address a demand from a public that is starved for media that doesn’t play for a side but instead pursues lines of reporting, thought, and inquiry wherever they lead, without fear of violating cultural pieties or elite orthodoxies.

I have definitely not relinquished hope that this ambitious project can be accomplished. And I theoretically could have stayed at The Intercept until then, guaranteeing a stable and secure income for my family by swallowing the dictates of my new censors.

But I would be deeply ashamed if I did that, and believe I would be betraying my own principles and convictions that I urge others to follow. So in the meantime, I have decided to follow in the footsteps of numerous other writers and journalists who have been expelled from increasingly repressive journalistic precincts for various forms of heresy and dissent and who have sought refuge here.

I hope to exploit the freedom this new platform offers not only to continue to publish the independent and hard-hitting investigative journalism and candid analysis and opinion writing that my readers have come to expect, but also to develop a podcast, and continue the YouTube program, “System Update,” I launched earlier this year in partnership with The Intercept.

To do that, to make this viable, I will need your support: people who are able to subscribe and sign up for the newsletter attached to this platform will enable my work to thrive and still be heard, perhaps even more so than before. I began my journalism career by depending on my readers’ willingness to support independent journalism which they believe is necessary to sustain. It is somewhat daunting at this point in my life, but also very exciting, to return to that model where one answers only to the public a journalist should be serving.

[... ARTICLE CONTINUED AT LINK ...]
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 10-29-2020 at 01:18 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Glenn Greenwald alright in my book.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He's a lefty, but despite any disagreements I might have with his politics, Glenn Greenwald is one of the few journalists (along with Ben Swann) that I am inclined to trust by default, unless and until I am given a good reason to do otherwise.

"Start your own website", they said.

"You can write whatever you want", they said.
    Hopefully traffic at that website drops to zero, and they all move over to GlennGreenwald.com or whatever website he is creating next.

And then he sues the $#@! out of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

The leftists had taken over his own network which he had started i was shocked that he didn't prepare to find out who these leftists to kick them out?

Greenwald just posted this:

Emails With Intercept Editors Showing Censorship of My Joe Biden Article
    https://greenwald.substack.com/p/ema...ditors-showing

Given The Intercept's vehement denials, readers are entitled to see for themselves what the truth is [...]

Following are the communications I had over the last week with Intercept editors regarding my article on Joe and Hunter Biden, which they refused to publish absent the removal of all sections critical of the front-running Democratic presidential candidate whom they uniformly and enthusiastically favor. This is the final exchange that precipitated my resignation from The Intercept and First Look Media, though, as I set out in my article of early today, by no means the sole or primary reason for leaving.

Recall that under my contract, and the practice of The Intercept over the last seven years, none of my articles is edited unless it presents the possibility of legal liability or complex original reporting, and not one of my articles in the last fifteen years — published with dozens of major media outlets around the world — has ever been retracted or even had appended to it a serious correction.

This article should never have been subject to the whims and views of editors at all, let alone this heavy-handed attempt to protect Joe Biden:

[... CONTINUED AT LINK ...]

And here is the draft of the Biden article:

Article on Joe and Hunter Biden Censored By The Intercept
    https://greenwald.substack.com/p/art...biden-censored

An attempt to assess the importance of the known evidence, and a critique of media lies to protect their favored candidate, could not be published at The Intercept

I am posting here the most recent draft of my article about Joe and Hunter Biden — the last one seen by Intercept editors before telling me that they refuse to publish it absent major structural changes involving the removal of all sections critical of Joe Biden, leaving only a narrow article critiquing media outlets. I will also, in a separate post [see above - OB], publish all communications I had with Intercept editors surrounding this article so you can see the censorship in action and, given the Intercept’s denials, decide for yourselves (this is the kind of transparency responsible journalists provide, and which the Intercept refuses to this day to provide regarding their conduct in the Reality Winner story). This draft obviously would have gone through one more round of proof-reading and editing by me — to shorten it, fix typos, etc — but it’s important for the integrity of the claims to publish the draft in unchanged form that Intercept editors last saw, and announced that they would not “edit” but completely gut as a condition to publication:

TITLE: THE REAL SCANDAL: U.S. MEDIA USES FALSEHOODS TO DEFEND JOE BIDEN FROM HUNTER’S EMAILS

[... CONTINUED AT LINK ...]
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 10-29-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Actually he can do that, i mean look at a example tumblr, when leftists took over the audiences for the site dropped 30+ site usage. When they imposed crazy leftist polices and agenda. Barely anyone now uses Tumblr and i had seen news of Tumblr been ready to be sold off. Its a bit ironic that far leftists are willing to defend the corruption in the democrat party.

Source
    Last edited by AngryCanadian; 10-29-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Stupid post of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Actually he can do that, i mean look at a example tumblr, when leftists took over the audiences for the site dropped 30+ site usage. When they imposed crazy leftist polices and agenda. Barely anyone now uses Tumblr and i had seen news of Tumblr been ready to be sold off. Its a bit ironic that far leftists are willing to defend the corruption in the democrat party.

Source
    Oh, I agree... it's just that @dannno 's first post seemed to be mocking the idea that he could create his own site to say whatever he wants, and then his second post was celebrating the same thing that he just mocked. Wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to take away from that pair of posts taken together.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Stupid post of the day.

No, no, what happened was they brought him the bill, he was like wtf is this $#@!, they were like "OH we need to pass this ASAP btw or the govt shuts down..." Then Trump says, "I'm not signing this crap, I heard on the news it included a tunnel from NY to NJ.." So he threatened to veto it, then they said, "Oh, you MUST sign it, it has all this great military stuff in it, don't you like the military? You don't want to shut down the military do you? Think about the vets!! You've gotta sign it!!!!"

Then Trump was probably like, "Alright, well I hope there is nothing else really egregious I should know about in there, is there?"

"Oh no, Mr. President, all completely normal stuff, we promise!!"

Of course Trump didn't have time to read it, but when he finds out they put this stink bomb in there, he will be way more pissed than he was about a tunnel from NY to NJ...
    Pinochet is the model

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, I agree... it's just that @dannno 's first post seemed to be mocking the idea that he could create his own site to say whatever he wants, and then his second post was celebrating the same thing that he just mocked. Wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to take away from that pair of posts taken together.
    No, nothing like what you said ever happened, obviously, obfuscator..

Glenn started his own site, then he partnered up with some folks under CONTRACT, and they disobeyed their CONCTRACT and so now he may be able to SUE them.

My only point is about how dishonest and deceitful leftists are. They are dishonest when they say, "its their site, they should be able to censor" because they would NEVER feel the same way if the same thing happened to them. So to follow their advise, and think that they will then leave you alone and not try to censor you, one way or another, is naive.
    Last edited by dannno; 10-29-2020 at 04:02 PM.

...My only point is about how dishonest and deceitful leftists are.
    The ENTIRE STINKING CESSPOOL OF US GOV IS INFESTED WITH LIARS, CHEATS and THIEVES

Here's the "Secretary of State" - last time I looked this despicable creep wore an (R) after his name

This is who Trump identifies with - because Trump is a Liar, a Cheat and a Thief

Americans aren't calling for this sleazebag Pompous Pompeo to step down because many of today's Americans are Liars, Cheats and Thieves - He's just one of them.

Imagine if a Top Chinese - or Russian - official laughed like a hyena about attending OFFICIAL CLASSES on how to Lie, Cheat and Steal

'Murika is BROKEN and neither the (R)'s or the (D)'s are capable of fixing it because they are CORRUPT BEYOND SALVAGE.

"Divided We Fell" - exactly what they wanted.

It was pretty clear the tone that site took through the years ultimately led to him being pushed out in this manner.

Hopefully he goes through with a lawsuit.

FYI, the left is justifying complete censorship of the news because "orange man bad", 4 years wasn't enough for Trump to implement his "full blown autocracy".

Last edited by eleganz; 10-29-2020 at 06:16 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

No, nothing like what you said ever happened, obviously, obfuscator..

Glenn started his own site, then he partnered up with some folks under CONTRACT, and they disobeyed their CONCTRACT and so now he may be able to SUE them.
    I wasn't sure what to believe until I saw that you'd written some words in all caps, which convinced me.

My only point is about how dishonest and deceitful leftists are. They are dishonest when they say, "its their site, they should be able to censor" because they would NEVER feel the same way if the same thing happened to them. So to follow their advise, and think that they will then leave you alone and not try to censor you, one way or another, is naive.
    Isn't that exactly what 'rightists' have been doing for the last four years?
    Last edited by TheCount; 10-29-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    Pinochet is the model

Can you name specifics? I mean, comparable specifics.
    Last edited by aravoth; 10-29-2020 at 04:51 PM.

I haven't seen much or any censorship coming from the right.

Liberals are losing their base so they're doubling down on suppressing opposing viewpoints. Polls are BS but the latest Rasmussen poll shows 31% of black Americans would vote for Donald Trump if the election was held today.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Then you must have never attempted to post anything pro Ron Paul and Redstate.com back when he was running for president.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On Tucker Carlson right now.

He's pissed.

Scorching interview...will post toob asap.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Peace Piper View Post
    'Murika is BROKEN and neither the (R)'s or the (D)'s are capable of fixing it because they are CORRUPT BEYOND SALVAGE.
    Which is why I am supporting and voting for the man who is arguably neither one of those things and has not spent his life in DC milking the system.

Especially when that man starts quoting Ron Paul's foreign policy word for word.

Just sayin'...
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    On Tucker Carlson right now.

He's pissed.

Scorching interview...will post toob asap.
    Yes, great stuff, I came on to tell people to make sure to find it.
    FJB

This is an important moment. Greenwald has been one of the last classical liberals who had any common sense left and refused to join up with the narrative and be obedient to the establishment.

He was just on Rogan yesterday and was talking about the Hunter Biden lap top being 100% legit. Guessing this has a lot to do with what happened today. He said everyone else he worked with was demanding he do anything within his power to help Biden win.

Eating their own, something just about everyone here has been predicting for the last 4-5 years.

I hope he does something well thought out and planned next, potentially with people more interested in truth and exposing corruption, rather than left vs. right or anything else partisan related. He is too talented to be wasted doing that crap anymore. He should be helping more Snowden-like whistleblowers come forward and exposing the corruption which he does just about better than any other journalist currently alive. Good luck to you Glenn!

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Then you must have never attempted to post anything pro Ron Paul and Redstate.com back when he was running for president.
    I do wonder how well it would be received today.

Ron had it tough because he was fighting neocons on both the left and the right. These days, they've either gone back to the left from whence they came, or they are too weak to make much more than a peep.

I mean, I haven't heard from Bill Kristol in a good while. Under a neocon administration, they couldn't take the camera off of him. If that's Trump's fault, my vote was well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I do wonder how well it would be received today.

Ron had it tough because he was fighting neocons on both the left and the right. These days, they've either gone back to the left from whence they came, or they are too weak to make much more than a peep.

I mean, I haven't heard from Bill Kristol in a good while. Under a neocon administration, they couldn't take the camera off of him. If that's Trump's fault, my vote was well worth it.
    I'm willing to vote Trump just for that reason alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast