View Poll Results: Is the Death Penalty Ever Justified?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, sometime's it is

5 71.43%
  • No, never

2 28.57%

Thread: Death Penalty

Death Penalty

I don't remember seeing much talk about this over the years.

We have a bit of a crime wave at the moment, so it seems apropos.

Vote and comment.

I vote yes, FYI, it's justified for certain crimes.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 10-28-2020 at 06:10 PM.
    "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

-H. L. Mencken

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Justified? Ya, probably. From a logistical standpoint, probably not a good idea to put the government in charge.

How am I supposed to vote again?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It is justified, as is corporal punishment. Far better than this massive prison bureaucracy we have today.

The myopic progressive focus on rehabilitation is incoherent.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Only for serial killers when evidence is over whelming.

I oppose the death penalty, but it is not forbidden under the NAP or libertarian theory.

So depending on what one means by "justified," that can be parsed as "justified" or "unjustified" - or even as "not unjustified" if, contra Orwell, one is willing to permit the "not un-" construction (and/or if one is willing to consider the distinction as not being logically binary).

Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law." - The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      - Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      - Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·
    MOFA (Make Orwell Fiction Again)

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Only for serial killers when evidence is over whelming.
    For any killer when the evidence is overwhelming.
    And for spies, traitors and rapists and possibly a few other extremely serious crimes like voter fraud.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Certainly isn't justified when an innocent person get executed.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

If a Judge imposes it, then I'm OK with it.
    Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Ⅎ˥ƎSWIH ˥˥I⋊ ⊥,NᗡIᗡ N
    IƎ⊥SԀƎ

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm against government imposing or executing the death sentence.

But I'm absolutely NOT against killing those who need killing.

A jury of 12 to convict then the sentence carried out by the aggrieved would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I oppose the death penalty, but it is not forbidden under the NAP or libertarian theory.

So depending on what one means by "justified," that can be parsed as "justified" or "unjustified" - or even as "not unjustified" if, contra Orwell, one is willing to permit the "not un-" construction (and/or if one is willing to consider the distinction as not being logically binary).
    Yes, this...the question is ambiguous and confusing.

As a justified means of punishment, yes.

Is it justified being carried out by the state, especially one as broken as ours...no.
    We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment. - C. S. Lewis

Yes but the standard of proof needs to be very high. Like multiple eyewitnesses and DNA.

I support the Death Penalty for Rapists,pedophiles & mass murders.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Super Joe Biden is already draining the swamp?

The only reason to take a life is to protect another life or property.