View Poll Results: Is the Death Penalty Ever Justified?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, sometime's it is

5 71.43%
  • No, never

2 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty

Death Penalty

I don't remember seeing much talk about this over the years.

We have a bit of a crime wave at the moment, so it seems apropos.

Vote and comment.

I vote yes, FYI, it's justified for certain crimes.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 10-28-2020 at 06:10 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Justified? Ya, probably. From a logistical standpoint, probably not a good idea to put the government in charge.

How am I supposed to vote again?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It is justified, as is corporal punishment. Far better than this massive prison bureaucracy we have today.

The myopic progressive focus on rehabilitation is incoherent.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Only for serial killers when evidence is over whelming.

I oppose the death penalty, but it is not forbidden under the NAP or libertarian theory.

So depending on what one means by "justified," that can be parsed as "justified" or "unjustified" - or even as "not unjustified" if, contra Orwell, one is willing to permit the "not un-" construction (and/or if one is willing to consider the distinction as not being logically binary).
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Only for serial killers when evidence is over whelming.
    For any killer when the evidence is overwhelming.
    And for spies, traitors and rapists and possibly a few other extremely serious crimes like voter fraud.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Certainly isn't justified when an innocent person get executed.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

If a Judge imposes it, then I'm OK with it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm against government imposing or executing the death sentence.

But I'm absolutely NOT against killing those who need killing.

A jury of 12 to convict then the sentence carried out by the aggrieved would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I oppose the death penalty, but it is not forbidden under the NAP or libertarian theory.

So depending on what one means by "justified," that can be parsed as "justified" or "unjustified" - or even as "not unjustified" if, contra Orwell, one is willing to permit the "not un-" construction (and/or if one is willing to consider the distinction as not being logically binary).
    Yes, this...the question is ambiguous and confusing.

As a justified means of punishment, yes.

Is it justified being carried out by the state, especially one as broken as ours...no.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Yes but the standard of proof needs to be very high. Like multiple eyewitnesses and DNA.

I support the Death Penalty for Rapists,pedophiles & mass murders.

The only reason to take a life is to protect another life or property.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yes, this...the question is ambiguous and confusing.

As a justified means of punishment, yes.

Is it justified being carried out by the state, especially one as broken as ours...no.
    I didn't and don't think the question is ambiguous.

As we do not in fact live in an anarcho-capitalist society, or a state society in which vigilantism is either common or accepted, I thought it was fairly obvious that I was referring to the execution by the state of individuals convicted of certain crimes in state courts.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Certainly isn't justified when an innocent person get executed.
    Neither is forty years in a cage for an innocent person..

And yet, it is not possible to have any kind of functional society without penalizing evidently guilty people, despite the lack of apodictic certainty. The maxim is along the lines of "better 1000 guilty people be acquitted than 1 innocent person be convicted" not "better every guilty person be acquitted on the off-chance he's actually innocent."

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    It is justified, as is corporal punishment. Far better than this massive prison bureaucracy we have today.

The myopic progressive focus on rehabilitation is incoherent.
    Indeed

Take a look at the output of the prisons and tell me that's rehabilitation.

Man goes in petty thief, comes out gang member ready to kill for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Yes but the standard of proof needs to be very high. Like multiple eyewitnesses and DNA.
    Yes, and they should have a reasonable period to appeal: e.g. one year.

As things stand, however, even in states that in theory have the death penalty, it takes many decades and in effect doesn't exist.

So these people rot in prison, at taxpayer expense.

P.S. How about Charlie Manson?

He benefited, AFAIK, from a timely abolition of the death penalty in CA.

Is there any question that he was guilty? He admitted it himself, if one can parse the insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by tebowlives View Post
    The only reason to take a life is to protect another life or property.
    Hanging murderers, among others, deters just that harm.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 12-07-2020 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Hanging murderers, among others, deters just that harm.
    The individual owns their own life and can take it themselves but revenge killing, when there is no threat, should not be allowed.

If you kill them they won't learn.

The individual owns their own life and can take it themselves but revenge killing, when there is no threat, should not be allowed.

Government should never be permitted to kill a citizen but in the same vein government should never be permitted to stop, detain or punish a citizen who kills another for cause.

Some people need killing and the only reason they're breathing right now is government interference.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Go back to the Wild West days. Abiding by the NAP, if my [and/or my immediate family] property, life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness is threatened or stolen, I will handle it myself. I do not need or want strangers [government] "figuring it out" for me.

It will be cheaper for you, me and gets right to the point.

How many innocent people are jailed, executed, pay excess fines by corrupt politicians and bureaucrats. How many are palm-grease released by those same hands. Cut the red tape. There will be less laws, cheaper on society, and individuals will learn to stand on their own.

Ron Paul was right yet again: how many "felonies" are committed by each person everyday? I never signed those contracts.

Oh, and I did not "vote".

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

If not death, what penalty would you impose on murderers, and what specifically is the benefit of that lesser penalty? I fail to see how life in prison at taxpayer expense, for instance, helps anyone other than (arguably) the murderer, who can hardly complain that execution is unjust.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 12-09-2020 at 06:17 PM.

I think the easiest way for me to answer this is it's justified under certain circumstances.
    But, I guess I'm open to all arguments.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Okie RP fan View Post
    I think the easiest way for me to answer this is it's justified under certain circumstances.
    But, I guess I'm open to all arguments.
    Would you elaborate on that?

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Go back to the Wild West days. Abiding by the NAP, if my [and/or my immediate family] property, life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness is threatened or stolen, I will handle it myself. I do not need or want strangers [government] "figuring it out" for me.

It will be cheaper for you, me and gets right to the point.

How many innocent people are jailed, executed, pay excess fines by corrupt politicians and bureaucrats. How many are palm-grease released by those same hands. Cut the red tape. There will be less laws, cheaper on society, and individuals will learn to stand on their own.

Ron Paul was right yet again: how many "felonies" are committed by each person everyday? I never signed those contracts.

Oh, and I did not "vote".
    This question applies just as well in an anarcho-capitalist world.

The idea that each person will handle it himself is problematic; some people (most of them, in fact) are weak.

Without third party assistance, they will most certainly be brutalized.

Anarcho-capitalism is not anarchism in the pejorative sense, is it?

The idea is only that security services will be provided by market firms in lieu of the state; that at least was Murray's concept.

It is ill-conceived and cannot exist in reality, but, supposing it could, these private courts would have to make the same decisions as state courts.

For instance, should a murderer be hanged? If not, how should he be handled?

This question applies just as well in an anarcho-capitalist world.

The idea that each person will handle it himself is problematic; some people (most of them, in fact) are weak.

Without third party assistance, they will most certainly be brutalized.

Anarcho-capitalism is not anarchism in the pejorative sense, is it?

The idea is only that security services will be provided by market firms in lieu of the state; that at least was Murray's concept.

It is ill-conceived and cannot exist in reality, but, supposing it could, these private courts would have to make the same decisions as state courts.

For instance, should a murderer be hanged? If not, how should he be handled?
    I have contemplated those very things. That is why I live an Agorist lifestyle.

In my perfect world, the NAP would apply in society as a whole. Because I/we do not live in such a world and never, ever will, the Agorist takes the impractical libertarian philosophy and applies it to a practical approach, weighing out the risk versus reward. We strive the best that we can to work via voluntarism, and within our circles we are able to achieve that. But, that only works on a 2-way street, so I have to deal with the force of theft via taxation. Some things in this practical world are unfortunately unavoidable.

I have contemplated those very things. That is why I live an Agorist lifestyle.

In my perfect world, the NAP would apply in society as a whole. Because I/we do not live in such a world and never, ever will, the Agorist takes the impractical libertarian philosophy and applies it to a practical approach, weighing out the risk versus reward. We strive the best that we can to work via voluntarism, and within our circles we are able to achieve that. But, that only works on a 2-way street, so I have to deal with the force of theft via taxation. Some things in this practical world are unfortunately unavoidable.
    A libertarian social order is not impossible or even impractical (though an an-cap one is, it will be minarchism).

In a century or two, when this unpleasant experiment in popular government is ended, and it will be ended, that is what will happen.

In the meantime, well, interesting times...

If not death, what penalty would you impose on murderers, and what specifically is the benefit of that lesser penalty? I fail to see how life in prison at taxpayer expense, for instance, helps anyone other than (arguably) the murderer, who can hardly complain that execution is unjust.
    A long sentence. It's about taking a threat off the street. That's it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A long sentence. It's about taking a threat off the street. That's it.
    A life sentence?

A libertarian social order is not impossible or even impractical (though an an-cap one is, it will be minarchism).

In a century or two, when this unpleasant experiment in popular government is ended, and it will be ended, that is what will happen.

In the meantime, well, interesting times...
    I see where the miscommunication is. You referred to "in a century or two". I referred to the here and now. The Agorist weighs, in my view, according to current surroundings. We may hope for future events and outcomes, but the analysis occurs in the here and now. ie: should I J-Walk and risk a ticket? Should I pay tax to the state, or drive to the Indian Reservation?

I see where the miscommunication is. You referred to "in a century or two". I referred to the here and now. The Agorist weighs, in my view, according to current surroundings. We may hope for future events and outcomes, but the analysis occurs in the here and now. ie: should I J-Walk and risk a ticket? Should I pay tax to the state, or drive to the Indian Reservation?
    J-walk up a storm, but the real solution doesn't lie there (you have to know that).

J-walk up a storm, but the real solution doesn't lie there (you have to know that).
    LOL

Liberty only comes from within. One either realizes it, or doesn't. Perhaps the not-so-great-number of Agorists that I engage with will continue to increase in my favor ;-)

LOL

Liberty only comes from within. One either realizes it, or doesn't. Perhaps the not-so-great-number of Agorists that I engage with will continue to increase in my favor ;-)
    Libertarianism isn't a religion.

Whether a society is free or not is an objective fact.

I don't find all that persuasive PAF the argument that the current tyranny of the state can be avoided by just...

...pretending they don't exist.

Buddhist cows get made into cheeseburgers.

Libertarianism isn't a religion.

Whether a society is free or not is an objective fact.

I don't find all that persuasive PAF the argument that the current tyranny of the state can be avoided by just...

...pretending they don't exist.

Buddhist cows get made into cheeseburgers.
    Rev3, you and I agree on a lot of things. Some, we may disagree. I truly do enjoy debate with you. However, you are seeking answers to questions that only you can ask and answer.

I have found what works for me, which enables me to abide by principles of freedom (as much as I can muster), the NAP, and responsible fiscal conservatism. I am still able to enjoy life, and what the earth has to offer. Time is limited, either socially, due to old age, maybe an historic building that might get torn down. I aim to experience more that life has to offer, and share it with friends and loved ones whenever possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast