Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Mike Rowe nails it. Yet again.

  1. #1

    Mike Rowe nails it. Yet again.

    Mike Rowe 2024, kicking or screaming.

    Off the Wall
    Mike
    Can you please share your thoughts about why Facebook suppressed the story about Joe Biden’s emails? It’s hard to know what to believe anymore.
    Fran Marsh
    [DEAR MS. MARSH, THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS SITE, PENDING FURTHER REVIEW. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER, WHEN WE’VE HAD TIME TO CONFIRM ITS ACCURACY. THANKS! FACEBOOK. 😀]
    Just kidding, Fran. Facebook doesn’t check my posts for factual accuracy. At least, I don’t think they do. But what if they did? Would it comfort you to know that everything I write had been fact-checked? Would Facebook’s “seal of approval,” make this page a more credible source of information?
    For those who haven’t heard, Facebook and Twitter recently suppressed a front page story in the New York Post that claims Hunter Biden’s personal computer is in the hands of the FBI, along with tens of thousands of emails, some of which appear to claim that Joe Biden was profiting from business deals with foreign governments while serving as Vice President. If the claims are true, the damage to Joe Biden’s campaign could be devastating. However, if the claims are false, the impact could still be very damaging. As Mark Twain said, “a lie can get halfway around the world before the truth has time to put its pants on,” and two weeks before an election, a lie is a dangerous thing. For that reason, Facebook and Twitter apparently decided to suppress the Post article until the claims therein could be confirmed. Consequently, some people are congratulating both companies for taking a stand against the spread of “fake news,” while others are condemning the decision as the very definition of hypocrisy, given the many unconfirmed articles from the mainstream press that both platforms have allowed to be shared – articles with unnamed sources and unsubstantiated claims that turned out to be factually inaccurate, and very bad for Donald Trump.
    This latest drama, as I understand it, is unfolding because Facebook and Twitter are trying to decide what’s true and what isn’t, and that’s making a lot of people really anxious. Why? Because social media platforms are not supposed to be in the business of vetting the accuracy of content – that’s the job of a publisher. How would you feel if you called your best friend to discuss the contents of the Post article, only to have your call disconnected by AT&T because they didn’t believe the information in the article was accurate, and therefore not suitable for discussion? That would be upsetting, because AT&T is not supposed to be deciding what you can discuss. Why? Because AT&T is a platform, not a publisher. So too is Facebook. Social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook can’t be publishers, because they don’t generate their own content. They can’t possibly fact-check everything the mainstream media shares on their platform, or all of the billions of posts their users share every single day. Trust me on this.
    So far this year, dozens of digital thieves have used my name and likeness to solicit people on Facebook for money. The scammers are relentless, and Facebook can’t stop them. Don’t get me wrong – they try. They’re trying to right now. But whenever they shut one down, another one pops up, like Whack-a-Mole. Likewise, my name and image have been used in countless fraudulent advertisements, many of which have also appeared on Facebook and other social media sites. (To add insult to injury, these advertisements are usually directed to men who are balding, overweight, or unable to achieve and maintain an erection. The indignity!) Point is, if Facebook can’t keep these two-bit fraudsters off of this page, how are they supposed to determine the accuracy of a controversial article published in the mainstream press? And why would they even want to?
    Consider the liability that comes with being a publisher. If the Post prints a story that says Mike Rowe is a pedophile who runs a corrupt foundation that discriminates against minorities and skims money, I can sue them for libel. That’s my remedy. Likewise, Hunter Biden can sue the Post if it turns out they published a libelous article about him and his father. But neither of us can sue Facebook for allowing that article to be shared, any more than we can sue AT&T for allowing people to discuss the same article over the telephone. But if Facebook and Twitter start behaving like the Times and the Post, and position themselves as “guardians of the truth,” they expose themselves to the risk of being sued for anything they allow to be shared that turns out to be untrue. Why would they want to do that?
    Yesterday, I had a chat with my neighbor, Claire, a lovely woman who loves Facebook, and thinks Returning the Favor is the best show ever. Like many of my neighbors, Claire applauded Facebook’s decision to suppress the Post article. Yesterday, while walking our respective mutts, she said to me, “How could any fair-minded person possibly object to waiting for a story like this be verified before it shows up in millions of news feeds?”
    As I retrieved one of Freddy’s perfectly formed turds, I considered her question. “Before I answer, Claire, let me ask you something. Imagine the recovered laptop belonged to Donald Trump, Jr. Imagine The New York Times published an article that claimed the FBI was in possession of emails that implicated the President. Would you really want Facebook and Twitter to suppress a New York Times story, simply because they hadn’t verified it as 100% true?”
    To her credit, Claire answered me honestly. “No,” she said. “I’d want that story to be out there for everyone to see.”
    “Why?” I asked.
    “Because Donald Trump has to go,” she said. “And sometimes, the ends justify the means.”
    For a lot of well-intended voters, it really comes down to that. Many people genuinely believe that getting Donald Trump out of The White House is more important than anything else. Just like many others genuinely believe that Joe Biden must be stopped at any cost. Those are not bad people – but they are not unbiased. They are single-minded, and if "the end truly justifies the means," such people will do whatever it takes to achieve their goal. And that can be very, very dangerous. Especially when such people are in positions of power and influence.
    At the base of all this, is the fundamental, undeniable truth that our freedom to speak freely often requires us to hear things we don’t like. We seem to have forgotten this. Once upon a time, the ACLU defended the KKK’s right to march, not because they agreed with them, but because the KKK has a right to be heard, and the ACLU wanted people to see them for what they were, pointy hats and all. “Sunshine,” they said, “is the best disinfectant.”
    I think social media needs more sunshine. We don’t need to be “protected” from fake news, we need to be more skeptical of everything we read in social media, including this post. We don’t need another “safe space” to protect us from hateful speech, we need to see whose being hateful, and confront their bigotry with something more persuasive. It would be nice if hateful speech and fake news didn’t exist, but they do, and our best defense against them is not to suppress them, or hope they go away – lies and hate will always be with us. Our best defense against them is the freedom to confront them in the public square. Ideally, in a place filled with sunshine, that quotes Voltaire at the top of every page:
    “I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it.”
    Over the last ten years, that’s what Facebook has been for me – an open platform where I can share and discuss the news of the day with six million of my closest friends, and answer their questions as honestly as I can. I don’t know what the next ten years holds for journalism or social media, but I sincerely hope the people in charge of what we’re allowed to talk about can see beyond this election. I believe we must insist that they do, or else, risk losing the essential freedoms our ancestors fought so hard to secure. And that would leave us all, well and truly fu…[REMAINDER OF POST DELETED FOR COARSENESS.]

    https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.
    When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? - Miguel de Cervantes, (Don Quixote)

    Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Federal Reserve Notes of patriotic central banks
    Quote Originally Posted by jon4liberty View Post
    You "guys" have the market cornered on transexual satan worshipping anarchists

    "Our Enemy, The State" by Albert Nock. https://famguardian.org/Publications...bertJKnock.pdf

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.
    I like the political acting role he is currently playing but that is all he is, an actor playing a role. Having some experience knowing his actual beliefs I can say it is not pretty to most people.

    He is a card carrying member of the swamp. Again, that is not to say I do not believe in what he has publicly presented which is a means to an end. So we may very well be in a position some day to vote for that fraud - scam artist or against him.

  5. #4
    Rand/Rowe 2024
    We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment. - C. S. Lewis

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I like the political acting role he is currently playing but that is all he is, an actor playing a role. Having some experience knowing his actual beliefs I can say it is not pretty to most people.

    He is a card carrying member of the swamp. Again, that is not to say I do not believe in what he has publicly presented which is a means to an end. So we may very well be in a position some day to vote for that fraud - scam artist or against him.
    So Mike Rowe is a fraud now as well?

    What are his actual beliefs that are not pretty?
    We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment. - C. S. Lewis

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I like the political acting role he is currently playing but that is all he is, an actor playing a role. Having some experience knowing his actual beliefs I can say it is not pretty to most people.

    He is a card carrying member of the swamp. Again, that is not to say I do not believe in what he has publicly presented which is a means to an end. So we may very well be in a position some day to vote for that fraud - scam artist or against him.
    Well, everyone has opinions. Mine is that you are a dip$#@!. <shrug>

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    So Mike Rowe is a fraud now as well?

    What are his actual beliefs that are not pretty?
    He's a $#@!ing CARD CARRYING MEMBER OF THE SWAMP!

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Well, everyone has opinions. Mine is that you are a dip$#@!. <shrug>
    Go ahead and bask in your ignorance. Not worth the risk me posting about it which is why I am being vague.

    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    He's a $#@!ing CARD CARRYING MEMBER OF THE SWAMP!
    A figure of speech. More than you know.
    Last edited by kahless; 10-22-2020 at 11:04 PM.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Elliot's The Hollow Men

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Oh let me lick his boot since he seems Conservative and did an interview with a black woman. Lets amp up the emotion and give a behind the scenes to play it up more. As if this is not staged for a future political run.

    I tried to watch that and felt like I wanted vomit since I know just like Bill Clinton people buy into the cult of personality. Nothing will ever change in the discussion in these forums since it is the nature of people to always gravitate towards the cult of personality rather than on policy. I get it the guy comes across as someone everyone want to have a beer with, but come on lets use logic and policy positions to decide.

    This is why maybe it is best this country breaks-up and maybe in hopes Hollywood would not also dominate the northern hemisphere. Let people who worship at the alter of the guy they want to have a beer with be a local phenomena to individual regions rather than the hemisphere as a whole.

    // with all that said I like watching him, Obama, Bourdain and others. Entertaining and I get that they are people one would like to meet and have a beer with, but to decides our lives and policy, give me a break.
    Last edited by kahless; 10-23-2020 at 08:00 PM.

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Entertaining and I get that they are people one would like to meet and have a beer with, but to decides our lives and policy, give me a break.
    As far as I can see, Rowe is one of the few who would be in political life that would not decide our lives, rather understands freedom.

    I understand why you think otherwise, but I have to run with that.

    Just like I did with Ron Paul.
    We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment. - C. S. Lewis

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    As far as I can see, Rowe is one of the few who would be in political life that would not decide our lives, rather understands freedom.

    I understand why you think otherwise, but I have to run with that.

    Just like I did with Ron Paul.
    You know that how?
    Last edited by kahless; 10-23-2020 at 08:16 PM.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    You know that how?
    Based on what he has said and written.

    Everything he writes and speaks about regarding work, life, safety and so on points to self responsibility and living your life as you see fit.

    Now, I suppose it could be all bull$#@!...but everything can't be bull$#@!.
    We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment. - C. S. Lewis

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Based on what he has said and written.

    Everything he writes and speaks about regarding work, life, safety and so on points to self responsibility and living your life as you see fit.

    Now, I suppose it could be all bull$#@!...but everything can't be bull$#@!.
    You underestimate the elites. They only allow people to prominence those that accept their beliefs.

    There are rare instances people breaking through that. I think the Pauls are one of the few families I think are not bull$#@!.

    btw - I get it, the non-aggression principle around these parts does not mean anything any more.
    Last edited by kahless; 10-23-2020 at 08:30 PM.

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Oh let me lick his boot [. . .] give me a break.
    Whoa dude. Chill the Fk out.

    Apparently you have not read much of what Mike writes, because 99% of it is not strongly biased for one group over another, but more so intended to get people to think. I posted it because I thought it was pretty telling that Mike broke his habit of not coming out politically to defend Klacik, who arguably would be a MUCH BETTER candidate for Baltimore's west side than Mfume.

    And the "cult of personality" rant . . . man. You're gonna have to get over that.

    People choose their heroes. I mean, just look at *this place* since Ron Paul retired. The same damn dozen people post all the time. It's an empty shell of what it once was. That tells me that apparently there was just one man holding our sh!t together, and if you insist on holding everyone else to his standard, you'll never be satisfied.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 10-23-2020 at 08:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Elliot's The Hollow Men

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Is it terrible that I think Kim Klacik is fine as hell? I mean I know this is all supposed to be about brains and political positions and all but....
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Oh let me lick his boot since he seems Conservative and did an interview with a black woman. Lets amp up the emotion and give a behind the scenes to play it up more. As if this is not staged for a future political run.

    I tried to watch that and felt like I wanted vomit since I know just like Bill Clinton people buy into the cult of personality. Nothing will ever change in the discussion in these forums since it is the nature of people to always gravitate towards the cult of personality rather than on policy. I get it the guy comes across as someone everyone want to have a beer with, but come on lets use logic and policy positions to decide.

    This is why maybe it is best this country breaks-up and maybe in hopes Hollywood would not also dominate the northern hemisphere. Let people who worship at the alter of the guy they want to have a beer with be a local phenomena to individual regions rather than the hemisphere as a whole.

    // with all that said I like watching him, Obama, Bourdain and others. Entertaining and I get that they are people one would like to meet and have a beer with, but to decides our lives and policy, give me a break.
    Well right now he's not running for anything and so I judge him by the values that he pushes and so far I haven't seen anything I disagree with. If he's part of some secret cabal I'll cross that bridge if he actually runs for anything.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Whoa dude. Chill the Fk out.

    Apparently you have not read much of what Mike writes, because 99% of it is not strongly biased for one group over another, but more so intended to get people to think. I posted it because I thought it was pretty telling that Mike broke his habit of not coming out politically to defend Klacik, who arguably would be a MUCH BETTER candidate for Baltimore's west side than Mfume.

    And the "cult of personality" rant . . . man. You're gonna have to get over that.

    People choose their heroes. I mean, just look at *this place* since Ron Paul retired. The same damn dozen people post all the time. It's an empty shell of what it once was. That tells me that apparently there was just one man holding our sh!t together, and if you insist on holding everyone else to his standard, you'll never be satisfied.
    He cannot hold a candle to Ron. I have read his works which I do not have a problem with however it does not match with my discussion with him which violated the non-aggression principle and basic human rights.

    A vote for him is a vote for the swamp. Actors act, people here got played without realizing it. The elites are brilliant in how they handle people and people fall for it every time.
    Last edited by kahless; 10-24-2020 at 03:53 PM.

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Is it terrible that I think Kim Klacik is fine as hell? I mean I know this is all supposed to be about brains and political positions and all but....
    She is pretty hot and that is the appeal. That is how they play you and many are simply being paid to have a certain position.

    We have seen this posting here since this forum started how Conservative hosts on Fox News suddenly become far left when they move to CNN and MSNBC, or vice and versa. Yet people still cannot see for the most part it is all about money and one big scam.

  23. #20
    Oh let me lick his boot [. . .] give me a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Whoa dude. Chill the Fk out.
    That was not meant for people here. I meant it in a way that I am sick of propaganda and being played. Just seeing the grooming of certain figures for higher office as if it is organic.

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    That was not meant for people here. I meant it in a way that I am sick of propaganda and being played. Just seeing the grooming of certain figures for higher office as if it is organic.
    So Mike Rowe is being groomed for higher office. He already has handlers directing his beliefs, writings, actions?




Similar Threads

  1. Mike Rowe on Covid-19. Nails it again.....
    By phill4paul in forum Coronavirus SARS-CoV2
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-22-2020, 03:37 PM
  2. The Wisdom of Mike Rowe
    By donnay in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-09-2019, 07:40 AM
  3. Mike Rowe - Safety Third
    By Anti Federalist in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-19-2018, 07:08 PM
  4. Mike Rowe's latest
    By Anti Federalist in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2016, 05:23 PM
  5. Ratting with Mike Rowe in NYC
    By Lucille in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-15-2016, 11:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •