Thread: Adviser: Trump tweet about Afghanistan withdrawal was a wish

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Adviser: Trump tweet about Afghanistan withdrawal was a wish

Thought wishes were for non-alpha leaders but who knows anymore:

Adviser: Trump tweet about Afghanistan withdrawal was a wish

The White House national security adviser Robert O'Brien makes remarks at a national security summit Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2020, in Salt Lake City. O'Brien said the United States will not tolerate any election interference from foreign countries. O'Brien said he told his Russian counterpart, Nikolai Patrushev, to "stay out" of the November election and that there would be severe consequences for any country that violates that directive.

By DEB RIECHMANN AND LOLITA C. BALDOR | Associated Press | Published: October 16, 2020

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump's national security adviser on Friday doubled down on his assertion that the number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan will shrink to 2,500 early next year, while suggesting that Trump's tweet that all forces should be home by Christmas was more a wish than a reality.

Seeking to clarify a series of confusing statements about the American footprint in Afghanistan, Robert O'Brien appeared to take a shot at Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Milley in recent days said that the U.S. is executing a plan to reduce the number of troops to 4,500 in November, but talk of any further reduction would be “speculation.”
    Confusion about troop withdrawals from America's longest war — an emotional topic for the troops and their families — began Oct. 7, when Trump tweeted that “we should have the small remaining number of our BRAVE Men and Women serving in Afghanistan home by Christmas.” When asked about those comments, O’Brien said Friday that Trump was just expressing a hope.

“I think what the president was doing is, he was expressing the same desire I think every president since the Revolutionary War has said," O'Brien said during an online event hosted by the Aspen Institute. "Whenever we’re at war, whether it was the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World War I or World War II, all presidents ... want the troops home by Christmas.”
    stripes.com/news/us/adviser-trump-tweet-about-afghanistan-withdrawal-was-a-wish-1.648896

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump's advisers are a bunch of neocons. They want to stay in Afghanistan forever.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Trump's advisers are a bunch of neocons. They want to stay in Afghanistan forever.
    He should fire them all.

Trump is really surrounded by some vipers isn't he, I trust Robert O'Brien as far I can throw him. Hopefully Trump purges the rest of the neocon trash after winning reelection.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    Trump is really surrounded by some vipers isn't he, I trust Robert O'Brien as far I can throw him. Hopefully Trump purges the rest of the neocon trash after winning reelection.
    I think we will see many people fired after Trump's re-election.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I think we will see many people fired after Trump's re-election.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    Hopefully, unlike his first term, during second term he'll surround himself with the best people.

Trump Names New National Security Advisor - Bolton Without The Mustache?

But he's not just famous for threatening Sweden for immediate release of Kim Kardashian sister's boyfriend and FLOTUS supported Somali-American rapper Rocky A$AP, new MAGA pick is also a strong supporter of our closest ally and only Jewish democracy in mideast:

Trump's new NSA pick is a strong supporter of Israeli settlements on Palestinian land and opponent of Obama Iran deal

In 2015 and 2016, O’Brien expressed strong opposition to the Iran nuclear deal, at one point comparing it to the 1938 Munich Agreement with Nazi Germany. He also wrote an article encouraging Senators Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, who ran against Trump in the 2016 Republican primary, to criticize Trump over his wish to improve relations with Russia’s Vladimir Putin. His views are typical to the Republican establishment foreign policy world view.

In 2017, he published an article about how Israel was being discriminated against in the United Nations. The article attacked the Obama administration for not vetoing a U.N. Security Council resolution against Israeli settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem. He said that the resolution “has done nothing to advance the peace process”.

Relational

Ending the Myth That Trump Is Ending the Wars

I think Trump clearly underestimated to extent of the swamp and how much of a guiding hand the military and "intelligence" services play, that's why Mike Flynn was priority #1 to take out since he knew where all the bodies were buried. All the Obama appointees are loyal to him; not the president, the country, or the constitution and should have been purged day 1 which the Clinton crime family did exactly that upon election so its not without precedence. They act like your friend until they're not, the amount backstabbing seditious behavior going on in this country is insane you can barely call this a democracy anymore. Remember John Kelly trashing reporters and members of congress to curry favor with Trump? Now look at him. "Maddog" Mattis? That's without even getting into the how corrupted the FBI has become or greaseballs like Scaramucci. Trump never had good people to put around him and they wouldn't let him install the people he wanted even if he did.

I'm not sure it will make a difference if Trump is reelected or not with these entrenched creatures, I am convinced they will kill if they ever truly thought their power was in danger and their crimes against humanity ever come out. Imagine what these pieces of $#@! would have done to Ron or Rand, you're very foolish if you think they would have been able to govern unmolested. Too many criminals in government on both sides can't afford to lose power because that means their career, freedom, and maybe their life.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's like, just his opinion, man.

After the election Trump will have more flexibility and the troops will be home by Christmas.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I think Trump clearly underestimated to extent of the swamp and how much of a guiding hand the military and "intelligence" services play, that's why Mike Flynn was priority #1 to take out since he knew where all the bodies were buried. All the Obama appointees are loyal to him; not the president, the country, or the constitution and should have been purged day 1 which the Clinton crime family did exactly that upon election so its not without precedence. They act like your friend until they're not, the amount backstabbing seditious behavior going on in this country is insane you can barely call this a democracy anymore. Remember John Kelly trashing reporters and members of congress to curry favor with Trump? Now look at him. "Maddog" Mattis? That's without even getting into the how corrupted the FBI has become or other greaseballs like Scaramucci. Trump never had good people to put around him and they didn't let him install the people he wanted anyways.

I'm not sure it will make a difference if Trump is reelected or not with these entrenched creatures, I am convinced they will kill if they ever truly thought their power was in danger and their crimes against humanity ever come out. Imagine what these pieces of $#@! would have done to Ron or Rand, you're very foolish if you think they would have been able to govern unmolested. Too many criminals in government on both sides can't afford to lose power because that means their career, freedom, and maybe their life.

Honestly I pretty much stopped reading at the beginning where this O'Brien dude starts talking about Russian interference. They still can't accept that Hillary lost on her own merits.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Can seen to be ex POTUS in his last days in office fulfill his promise and bring troops home before Xmas... what he got to lose if he orders that?

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Honestly I pretty much stopped reading at the beginning where this O'Brien dude starts talking about Russian interference. They still can't accept that Hillary lost on her own merits.
    O'Brian is very liked by POTUS and whole first family including First Son-in-law. His excellent skills helped bring A$AP Rocky home from Sweden.

Trump once again failed us. He didn't bring the troops home as we are still in Afghanistan. He isn't grounded in the Constitution and is too wishy washy. All the rhetoric about him bringing troops home was just that words.

The excuse makers can say all they want but the fact remains if he wanted the troops out they would be out by now.

After all (neocons funded) reluctant MAGA puppet did to lay ground work for expanded global interventions (Trump has deployed 14,000 additional troops to the Middle East since May), they can't let him have even small PR win on his way out? This is cold.

Congress Moves to Block US Troop Withdrawal from Afghanistan and Germany

5 Dec 2020
    Military.com | By Richard Sisk

President Donald Trump's controversial orders to withdraw 2,000 U.S. troops from Afghanistan and 12,000 from Germany would be blocked by the massive defense policy bill now headed to his desk.
    One provision of the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal 2021 would block funding for reducing the number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan from 4,500 to 2,500 by Jan. 15, as ordered by Trump, until the Defense and State Departments verify that it was in the national interest.
    Another provision of the NDAA essentially called on the incoming Biden administration to take a second look at Trump's executive order to pull 12,000 U.S. troops from Germany.

The bill said troop levels in Germany should remain at 34,500 until 120 days after the secretary of defense submitted cost estimates and assessments of the impact of a withdrawal on allies and military families.

The final version of the NDAA, released Thursday night, said that Afghanistan withdrawal orders announced by Acting Defense Secretary Christopher C. Miller on Nov. 17, gave Congress no estimate of the national security implications.

The Trump administration has thus far failed to explain how a troop withdrawal was "in the national security interests of the United States to deny terrorists safe haven in Afghanistan, protect the United States homeland," the conferees said.

The NDAA provision also asked for details on whether the withdrawal would impact on the "hard-fought gains for the rights of women, girls, and other vulnerable populations in Afghanistan."

Trump's June announcement that he wanted 9,500 troops out of Germany after years of jousting with NATO allies to pay more for defense has also drawn opposition from both sides of the aisle.

military.com/daily-news/2020/12/05/congress-moves-block-us-troop-withdrawal-afghanistan-and-germany.html

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    After all (neocons funded) reluctant MAGA puppet did to lay ground work for expanded global interventions (Trump has deployed 14,000 additional troops to the Middle East since May), they can't let him have even small PR win on his way out? This is cold.

Congress Moves to Block US Troop Withdrawal from Afghanistan and Germany

5 Dec 2020
    Military.com | By Richard Sisk

President Donald Trump's controversial orders to withdraw 2,000 U.S. troops from Afghanistan and 12,000 from Germany would be blocked by the massive defense policy bill now headed to his desk.
    One provision of the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal 2021 would block funding for reducing the number of U.S. troops in Afghanistan from 4,500 to 2,500 by Jan. 15, as ordered by Trump, until the Defense and State Departments verify that it was in the national interest.
    Another provision of the NDAA essentially called on the incoming Biden administration to take a second look at Trump's executive order to pull 12,000 U.S. troops from Germany.

The bill said troop levels in Germany should remain at 34,500 until 120 days after the secretary of defense submitted cost estimates and assessments of the impact of a withdrawal on allies and military families.

The final version of the NDAA, released Thursday night, said that Afghanistan withdrawal orders announced by Acting Defense Secretary Christopher C. Miller on Nov. 17, gave Congress no estimate of the national security implications.

The Trump administration has thus far failed to explain how a troop withdrawal was "in the national security interests of the United States to deny terrorists safe haven in Afghanistan, protect the United States homeland," the conferees said.

The NDAA provision also asked for details on whether the withdrawal would impact on the "hard-fought gains for the rights of women, girls, and other vulnerable populations in Afghanistan."

Trump's June announcement that he wanted 9,500 troops out of Germany after years of jousting with NATO allies to pay more for defense has also drawn opposition from both sides of the aisle.

military.com/daily-news/2020/12/05/congress-moves-block-us-troop-withdrawal-afghanistan-and-germany.html
    The Democrats are no better then Trump or the Republicans they want to stay in Afghanistan permanently. Afghanistan is unwinnable.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rockets hit U.S.'s Bagram Airfield base in Afghanistan

Dec. 19, 2020, 4:16 AM EST
    By The Associated Press

Five rockets were fired at a major U.S. base in Afghanistan on Saturday, but there were no casualties, NATO and provincial officials said.

The rockets hit Bagram Airfield, said Wahida Shahkar, spokeswoman for the governor in northern Parwan province.

Shahkar said that 12 rockets were placed in a vehicle and five of them were fired while police were able to defuse seven others.

nbcnews.com/news/world/rockets-hit-u-s-s-bagram-airfield-base-afghanistan-n1251800

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    That's like, just his opinion, man.

After the election Trump will have more flexibility and the troops will be home by Christmas.
    Christmas is around the corner.