Thread: Spencer Davis dead at 81

Exclamation Spencer Davis dead at 81

Spencer Davis, Founder of the Spencer Davis Group, Dead at 81

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...tuary-1078226/

Welsh musician, who formed the band with Steve Winwood, scored hits like “Gimme Some Lovin'” and “Keep on Running”

Spencer Davis, Welsh musician and founder of the Spencer Davis Group, died Monday while being treated for pneumonia in the hospital. He was 81.

Bob Birk, his booking agent for more than 30 years, confirmed Davis’ death to Rolling Stone. “He was a very good friend,” Birk says. “He was a highly ethical, very talented, good-hearted, extremely intelligent, generous man. He leaves behind his long-time domestic partner, June, and three adult children.”

Davis was born on July 17th, 1939 in Swansea, South Wales. Fluent in German, French, and Spanish, he was known to musicians as “the Professor,” according to the BBC. He taught for a spell, then gave up that career to form the Spencer Davis Group in 1963 after meeting a teenage Steve Winwood. “I went to a pub in the northern suburbs of Birmingham,” Davis said in 2015. “Somebody said, ‘Go and see the Muff Wood Jazz Band.’ Sitting down at the piano was this young guy [who] played piano like Oscar Peterson and sang like Ray Charles. I said, ‘You, I want you in the band!’ He said, ‘I don’t have a driver’s license.’ I said, ‘Don’t worry about that.'”

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    RIP
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge