Thread: Mexican Senate set to pass bill to legalize marijuana in next few days

Mexican Senate set to pass bill to legalize marijuana in next few days

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico’s Senate will vote for a bill to fully legalize marijuana in the next few days, a key lawmaker told Reuters, marking a major step toward changing the country’s approach to the drug by removing it as a source of income for violent drug gangs.

President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, a leftist critic of Mexico’s longstanding drug war, has since last year signaled his openness to the decriminalization of marijuana as part of a broader shift on security policy.

Sen. Ricardo Monreal, the leader of Lopez Obrador’s MORENA party in the upper chamber of Congress, said in an interview late on Monday that a vote on the proposal will take place later this week or next week.

“The end of the prohibitionist policy is good for the country,” he said, adding that the bill would regulate personal use and sale of marijuana as well as research into the plant. It also contemplates creation of cooperatives that would grow marijuana plus a new regulatory agency.

If approved by the Senate, the proposal would then proceed to the lower house for a vote.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...rce=reddit.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    2L8
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I am not in the know but I would assume that most people in the US are not smoking pot grown in Mexican fields these days.

“The end of the prohibitionist policy is good for the country,” he said, adding that the bill would regulate personal use and sale of marijuana as well as research into the plant. It also contemplates creation of cooperatives that would grow marijuana plus a new regulatory agency.
    So if lettuce was illegal and then suddenly they decided to make it legal and regulate personal use and sales of lettuce, people are going to stop buying the cheaper unregulated lettuce?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    So if lettuce was illegal and then suddenly they decided to make it legal and regulate personal use and sales of lettuce, people are going to stop buying the cheaper unregulated lettuce?
    If lettuce was illegal and you had to buy it on the underground market, there would be a huge risk to growing and selling lettuce and it would be very expensive. Probably at least ten times the cost that it is currently.

Legalizing lettuce would allow the price to come down.

Cannabis is highly regulated and taxed in my state, but the quality has gone up and the costs have still come down.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    If lettuce was illegal and you had to buy it on the underground market, there would be a huge risk to growing and selling lettuce and it would be very expensive. Probably at least ten times the cost that it is currently.

Legalizing lettuce would allow the price to come down.

Cannabis is highly regulated and taxed in my state, but the quality has gone up and the costs have still come down.
    Looks like the state is screwing up big time. They need to make everything illegal and then make it legal and regulate it.
    The quality of everything would improve and the state would make lots of money in taxes.

I would much rather see marijuana decriminalized rather than legalized.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Depends on your definition of decriminalize.

Decriminalizing includes making it a $100 fine to possess, with no criminal charges. But you can be charged a felony for growing or selling it. Still "decriminalized"

In that case, legalizing would be a lot better because there would be no fine to possess and there are legal ways to grow and sell.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Decriminalizing includes making it a $100 fine to possess, with no criminal charges. But you can be charged a felony for growing or selling it. Still "decriminalized"

In that case, legalizing would be a lot better because there would be no fine to possess and there are legal ways to grow and sell.
    How about just making it like carrots?
    Nothing to keep people from growing, selling or eating them.

You still have to pay taxes on the carrots you sell...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

This wont change the crime rates. Even if Western Countries jump into by legalizing marijuana it wont change the drug crimes.

Dang it. Forgot I am done going round and round for a while posting on RPFs. You either get liberty or you don't. Not much to discuss anymore.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 11-18-2020 at 02:36 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    You still have to pay taxes on the carrots you sell...
    Not here , no tax on food . Buy yer tax free carrots from Oyarde Farms.

Because it's easier to convince people that marijuana is like alcohol than it is like carrots. (Keep it away from children and don't drive stoned).
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I find it funny that the some libertarians are so pessimistic that no news is good news. "Any illicit drug reform that doesn't allow 6 year olds to shoot up heroin is counter productive!"
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Well the definition of both words should be about the same. For instance "hemp" is called legal in my state but I can't just go buy some seeds and grow it. I would have to go thru a mountain of BS in order to grow it. But there is a shop down the street that sells it in it's raw form and it cost about as much as street pot. WTF! when I was a kid I used to go to Nebraska to work on a relatives farm and it grew in ditches and it was free. But even though it grew in ditches if you got caught with it in your pocket you could go to jail.

Pot has been decriminalized which means if I am driving down the road I probably won't get searched but it they find even one plant growing in my yard I could lose my property and go to jail and the same with hemp if I don't have a permit. I know there are people growing it around me cause I can smell it when I drive or walk by their place. I don't know if they are paying someone off or what but, I am going to mind my own business.
    I am glad Mexico is making it legal though. I wonder if it will really be legal or if a bunch of bureaucrats are going to me putting their fingers in the pie like they do in the USA? I hate regulations

That will have consequences here...

Those that grow the weed there will know that RISK is the biggest influencer on the price of their product. They will look to move their pot across the border to the states in which pot is still illegal. Our ONLY REAL DEFENSE is to LEGALIZE IT HERE, which will keep their prices DOWN and remove the incentive to sell it here as opposed to Mexico.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    removing it as a source of income for violent drug gangs.
    And instead turning it over to a source of income for corporate gangs instead.

No doubt things like this are a general move in the right direction but it should be obvious by now that legalization was only allowed once the 3-piece-suit-gangster-cartel had gained control over it from the rifle cartel.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book