Thread: Eddie Van Halen, grinning guitar god for a rock generation, dies at 65

Eddie Van Halen, grinning guitar god for a rock generation, dies at 65

By STEVE APPLEFORD
    OCT. 6, 202012:39 PM

Eddie Van Halen, the all-American guitar hero who, with his namesake hard-rock band Van Halen, redefined the sound and possibilities of the electric guitar in the 1970s and ’80s, died on Tuesday at age 65. The cause was throat cancer.

His death was first reported by TMZ.

“I can’t believe I’m having to write this, but my father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen, has lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning,” wrote his son, Wolfgang Van Halen via Twitter.
    https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/s...guitar-dies-65
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    RIP Eddie.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Just coming to post this.

RIP

Figured I'd post some news that actually matters, sad as it is. Sad day.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

RIP
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I once heard Axl Rose say that he sought a guitarist in southern Calif. for five years before finding Slash. Rose said everyone was trying to be Eddie Van Halen. Quite a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Long live EVH!

As if this $#@!ing year could not get any $#@!ing worse...
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a shame. He really cleaned himself up in the last few years. His transformation was amazing.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Yes, Van Halen saved me from the Top 40s of the 80s, and I am, to this day, very grateful.

I was mad at Eddie for a while back then, he stole my girlfriend Valerie, but I, of course, forgave him and Rocked on..... RIP.

FJB

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Yes, Van Halen saved me from the Top 40s of the 80s, and I am, to this day, very grateful.

I was mad at Eddie for a while back then, he stole my girlfriend Valerie, but I, of course, forgave him and Rocked on..... RIP.

First song I thought about posting. Underappreciated album by the general public, but a favorite of guitar players.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    First song I thought about posting. Underappreciated album by the general public, but a favorite of guitar players.
    Yes, that album was a little more raw, maybe just because it was their "latest," my favorite... each album had it's own feel, they were all favorites.

Lots of Tributes flowing out on youtube.

Older, but more personal.

Parts 2 and 3 available.
    FJB

I remember picking up "Women and Children First" which remains my fav VH release, from the local record shop downtown, pedaling my ass off to get home to listen to it, and flipping over to the B side and just being blown away.

The neighbor's ears are still ringing I'll bet...I know mine are.

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

I've watched that clip a bunch of times...I keep expecting Satan to walk out and rip up his "Soul Contract".

RIP Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Yes, that album was a little more raw, maybe just because it was their "latest," my favorite... each album had it's own feel, they were all favorites.
    I believe that’s the album that spawned the term “brown sound” for Eddie’s guitar sound at the time.

https://www.twitter.com/briankoppelm...71747510222849

This one was a bit different for Halen, but in a great way...

Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 10-06-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I've watched that clip a bunch of times...I keep expecting Satan to walk out and rip up his "Soul Contract".
    And people are pointing out, it’s evidence of his cause of death. He was a heavy smoker.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And people are pointing out, it’s evidence of his cause of death. He was a heavy smoker.
    We all gotta go sometime.

We mourn his loss of course...but is living another 20 years to end up $#@!ting yourself in some nursing home, being abused by some third world migrant help and forgotten or left behind by friends and family...is that any better?

It's all a genetic lottery...as evidence I submit:

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 10-06-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Was watching videos and noticed he puts the tip of his picks in his mouth a lot, after scraping it across metal constantly, for decades, those microscopic bits of metal will stick to all of those moist areas and soak in.... and constantly smoking.... and putting cigs in mouth after using the strings as a holder, too.

I know, but you never know. I wonder if he ever had a heavy metals test.
    FJB

Eddie, true virtuoso, my favorite guitarist of all time.

RIP, you will never be forgotten, by any generation.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Caught them live just before their 2nd album came out... phenomenal player.

RIP

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

I remember picking up "Women and Children First" which remains my fav VH release, from the local record shop downtown, pedaling my ass off to get home to listen to it, and flipping over to the B side and just being blown away.
    A great album, but I think I have to go with VH II as my favorite. All the songs are great, these two stood out...

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Caught them live just before their 2nd album came out... phenomenal player.

RIP

Saw them live 5 times, including the biggest show of their career, US Festival ‘83, the Woodstock of metal. Saw them once with Hagar singing on the ‘04 reunion tour. Saw them 3 times with Wolf on bass...

My personal favorite.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Saw them live 5 times, including the biggest show of their career, US Festival ‘83, the Woodstock of metal. Saw them once with Hagar singing on the ‘04 reunion tour. Saw them 3 times with Wolf on bass...
    Wolfie playing the first minute of "Eruption" on Dad's "FrankenCast"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wolfie playing the first minute of "Eruption" on Dad's "FrankenCast"
    Wolf has a solo album that has been ready for a long time. Didn't release it because of his dad's illness. Suppose it will come out in the next year.