Thread: Massie and Gabbard call for charges against Assange to be dropped

Massie and Gabbard call for charges against Assange to be dropped

Reps. Tulsi Gabbard & Thomas Massie Introduce Bipartisan Resolution Defending the Free Press & Call For Charges Against Julian Assange To Be Dropped

October 2, 2020

Washington, DC—Today, Reps. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) and Thomas Massie (KY-04) introduced H.Res.1175, a resolution that defends the freedom of the press, noting that newsgathering activities and news organizations ability to acquire and publish information are protected under the First Amendment. The resolution calls for the United States to drop all charges and efforts to extradite Julian Assange.

“Freedom of the press is a vital function of a free democracy in which the government is accountable to the people. Julian Assange published information that exposed lies and abuses of power at the highest levels of our government. His indictment under the Espionage Act sends a chilling message to every member of the media and all Americans,” said Rep. Tulsi Gabbard. “U.S. government prosecutors now claim that any journalist or news organization that publishes classified material is liable to prosecution under the Espionage Act -- which would have led to the indictment of the Washington Post for the publication of the Pentagon Papers. The Federal government’s prosecution of Julian Assange sets a dangerous precedent. All extradition efforts and charges under the Espionage Act against Julian Assange must be dropped now.”

“At a time when government officials claim the right to perform warrantless surveillance upon all American citizens, there is an urgent need to zealously guard freedom of the press and to demand government transparency and accountability. The ongoing attempts to prosecute Julian Assange threaten our First Amendment rights, and should be opposed by all who wish to safeguard our constitutional rights now and in the years to come. I join my colleague, Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard, in calling for an immediate end to all charges against Mr. Assange,” said Rep. Thomas Massie.

https://gabbard.house.gov/news/press...defending-free

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Assange's Mother thanks Reps. Massie & Gabbard

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...37766296485889

Why do I get the feeling that Gabbard is a snake and would actually prosecute Assange?
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that Gabbard is a snake and would actually prosecute Assange?
    I don't see that. I think she is actually a decent person... But could be wrong.
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

I'm happy to hear it. I think Tulsi Gabbard is misguided concerning economic matters, but she has some righteous positions elsewhere. That the Democrat Party has fervently endeavored to put the boot on her throat is telling.

Also of note, Jo Jorgensen has said she would pardon Assange, Eddie the Snowman and Ross Ulbricht, were she to be elected President.

Tulsi has been calling for Assange and Snowden to be pardoned for years.