Thread: Scything questions?

Scything questions?

I saw some youtube videos on scything and it looks to be more effective at cutting taller brome grasses than a weed eater or a mower.

Has anyone actually used a scythe and become proficient? Another question is in regard to handedness. On a standard scythe your right hand is in front and your left hand is back. This seems wrong to me. I went outside and swung a stick in a scything motion and it felt more comfortable with my right hand back and my left hand in front. So this is left handed scything. I'm right handed by the way, but I bat left in softball and golf left handed.

In a perfect world I would go to a store and try scything each way if they even hand a left handed scythe. The only place I can find a scythe is online and they are a couple hundred dollars. And of course left handed blades are harder to find.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Used..
    but I can not say proficient..

I will say it worked well on tall grasses.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 10-13-2020 at 09:30 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

I looked into those a couple of years ago. I think a good one is pretty expensive and I think they are tailored to your specific size.