Thread: Man gets 1 year in jail for holding large parties against COVID-19 rules

Man gets 1 year in jail for holding large parties against COVID-19 rules

A Maryland man has been sentenced to one year in jail after he hosted two parties against the governor's COVID-19 large gathering orders, prosecutors said.

Following a bench trial, Shawn Marshall Myers, 42, was convicted of two counts of failure to comply with an emergency order, according to a Friday statement from the Charles County State’s Attorney's Office.

On March 22, officers responded to Myers' home in Hughesville for a report of a large party violating Gov. Larry Hogan's state of emergency and large gathering orders, prosecutors said.

Officers found about 50 people at Myers' home and they told Myers that his party violated the current rules, prosecutors said.

Myers allegedly argued with the officers, but he "eventually agreed to disband his party," prosecutors said.

Days later, on March 27, officers again responded to Myers' home for another report of a party with more than 50 people.

"Officers told Myers to disband the party, but again he was argumentative claiming he and his guests had the right to congregate," according to prosecutors.

Myers also allegedly told "his guests to stay in defiance of Governor Hogan’s Orders and the officers’ lawful orders to disband the party," prosecutors said.

Myers was then arrested.

After Myers is released from jail, he will be on unsupervised probation for three years, prosecutors said.
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-year-j...ry?id=73259644
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It looks like they are making a statement. Let looter and rioters go free but prosecute the party host. Not only give him a year in jail but tack on 3 years probation. I was just thinking how people will say he should have just complied. I imagine that back in the day when a Jew stepped out of the gas chamber line he was shot and the others in line probably said he should have just complied. Where will this end?

Just imagine what the world will look like when Myers is released from jail after a year.

It will be indistinguishable from being in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Just imagine what the world will look like when Myers is released from jail after a year.

It will be indistinguishable from being in jail.
    The new world is a jail. The place you reside is based on your compliance. The threat you pose is now secondary or may not even enter into the equation.

If it were me I would consider it excessive to the point that it required a great deal of sudden violence to even the score .

Maryland is a $#@!ty state, but this is the kind of story you'd be hearing happened in New York or California.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    If it were me I would consider it excessive to the point that it required a great deal of sudden violence to even the score .
    50 armed partiers would have caused the Gestapo to pause.

They should have called it a peaceful protest.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    They should have called it a peaceful protest.

There doesn't appear to have been enough arson and looting for them to have gotten away with that.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul