Thread: Alexa will ask humans questions using a new 'teachable' AI to help the virtual assist

Alexa will ask humans questions using a new 'teachable' AI to help the virtual assist

Amazon's Alexa will ask humans questions using a new 'teachable' AI to help the virtual assistant improve its conversation skills

The tech giant is set to add 'teachable' artificial intelligence to the virtual assistant, allowing it to ask questions in order to understand the contextual conversation and learn from its owners.

During the firm's annual product launch event, Amazon also introduced natural turn taking, which allows users to speak to Alexa with using a wake wording to provide 'more natural and expressive' conversations.

Rohit Prasad, vice president of Amazon, said: 'You can ask 'Alexa, join my conversation,' and Alexa will join in the conversation to help you and friend decide what pizza to order, or get a movie recommendation for a night at home with your family.'

'This new capability helps Alexa get smarter by asking questions to fill gaps in her understanding—just like we do as humans.

Alexa is using machine learning to determine if a user's request is a teachable moment and if it is, the assistant will ask follow up questions to better understand.

'As an example, when reading the latest best seller, Alexa won't automatically know that my preferred setting is 40% brightness when I ask, 'Alexa, set the light to Rohit's reading mode',' Prasad explained.

'With interactive teaching, Alexa learns these definitions and associated actions instantaneously, and they are stored only for your account for future use.'

Amazon is set to roll out these capabilities to its other smart device in the coming months.

Along with the teachable AI, Alexa will also be equipped with a multi-sensory AI to observe acoustic, linguistic and visual cues to determine if an action is directed at it or a human in the room.

Using this information, the virtual assistant will then decide how to respond or which action to take
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...chable-AI.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is there a fleshlight version of Alexa to keep her quiet?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I'm curious how Alexa would respond if someone were to ask her if taxation is theft.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge