Thread: Trump's Mideast Mirage

Trump's Mideast Mirage

RonPaulInstitute
    by eric margolis
    september 21, 2020

The Trump administration, desperate for some good news, just manufactured its own news by confecting a ‘peace’ deal between Israel and a bunch of pipsqueak Arab monarchies – just in time for November US elections.

The Gulf monarchies – the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain – that signed this agreement are so frightened of neighboring Iran that they would happily have opted for Israeli rule rather than welcome the angry, unforgiving Iranians, who call the Gulf Arabs ‘traitors, cowards and backstabbers,’ a sentiment shared by much of the Arab world.

Few Americans could find these little sheikdoms on a map. But many evangelical voters, who have a comic-book view of the Mideast, will think the Trump administration has achieved a major feat by supposedly bringing peace to the Holy Land. Cynics, among them many Israelis, will likely scoff at such falafel in the sky thinking. Oman is expected to sign the new accord.

Israel remains intent on expanding its borders to gobble up all of what was historic Palestine and its water resources. Five million Palestinians will remain stateless. Israel also has its eye on fertile parts of Syria and Lebanon.

As I suggested in my book on Mideast strategy, ‘American Raj,’ the key beneficiaries of any Arab-Israeli peace deal would be Israel’s bankers, businessmen and arms makers. If a decent peace deal can be made with the Palestinians, the doors of the entire Muslim world (a fifth of humanity) will be opened to Israel’s commerce and finance. This will be a huge bonanza worth orders of magnitude more than the West Bank’s scrubby slopes.

But to do so, Israel’s hard right and religious extremists will have to lessen their demands for Arab land and water – that is, what they term, Greater Israel. Just as difficult and obdurate will be Trump’s evangelical core voters who want to see a mythical Biblical Israel recreated, paving the way for the return of the Messiah and earth’s fiery destruction.

The United Arab Emirates, population just under 10 million, is only 10% Arab. The rest of its people are mainly Indians and Pakistani coolies, giving rise to the old bon mot that Dubai and Abu Dhabi are the world’s best Indian-run cities.

Non-Arab members of the UAE are treated like slaves. They are paid a pittance, poorly fed, and live in squalor. Non-Arabs have no rights. Arab citizens don’t have any rights either, just a better standard of living.

I remember these tiny city states from the early 1970’s when I worked for a leading US firm that smuggled high-end cosmetics and perfumes into India, Pakistan and the USSR via Dubai’s busy port.

Back in the day, Britain’s intelligence agency, MI6, controlled Oman and its royal rulers. Similarly, the CIA today exercises great influence over Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Jordan, not to mention Egypt and Morocco. Tiny Qatar maintains a degree of independence in the face of Saudi threats and efforts by the Trump people to crush it.

The big Mideast deal ballyhooed by Trump and Co. is in reality a phony peace between secretly allied Gulf States and Israel. They have been playing footsie for over a decade. It is not primarily about peace but about Iran and arms sales to the Gulf States and Saudi Arabia that they have no idea how to use. Weapons sales are a protection payoff to Washington, which has important bases in Qatar, the UAE, Oman, Saudi Arabia and Israel.

What next? Will Trump declare a trans-Pacific alliance between Tonga and the US to ‘contain’ China?

As for peace in the Mideast, recall the biting words of Roman historian Tacitus, ‘where they make a desert they call it peace.’ That is what awaits over five million Palestinian refugees, not a new dawn promised by the Trump administration.

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...ideast-mirage/

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These short bus Banana Republicans are the problem, not the solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Really good read, I knew something was up when a peace deal was made between two parties that virtually nobody thought were adversaries. Both parties have a common enemy in Iran and Syria and have been working together helping the so called rebels for years now.

Some of the site are vexxed because we didn't all stop what we are doing to congratulate Trump on this move.

Five million Palestinians will remain stateless.
    Why is this a bad thing?
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Both good and bad, as there's two sides of a coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Why is this a bad thing?
    Israel remains intent on expanding its borders to gobble up all of what was historic Palestine and its water resources. Five million Palestinians will remain stateless
    Something to do with the bolded portion of the article. You see, the horse we are backing is busy stealing and oppressing another group of people. Not saying being a land stealing, genocidal tribe is a bad thing, the issue is that most people don't want their tax money backing them in their immoral actions.

Quote Originally Posted by John-G View Post
    Something to do with the bolded portion of the article. You see, the horse we are backing is busy stealing and oppressing another group of people. Not saying being a land stealing, genocidal tribe is a bad thing, the issue is that most people don't want their tax money backing them in their immoral actions.
    Excellent...carry on then.

I did find it pleasing that Trump, at the campaign event in Wisconsin the other day, quite literally quoted Ron Paul word for word, in that a second Trump term would not see US troops engaged in pointless foreign conflicts, or US treasure used to build foreign nation's infrastructure while ours needs re-building.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Interesting read thanks for posting

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Ron Paul Institute opposing peace.

LOL, that's TDS.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Excellent...carry on then.

I did find it pleasing that Trump, at the campaign event in Wisconsin the other day, quite literally quoted Ron Paul word for word, in that a second Trump term would not see US troops engaged in pointless foreign conflicts, or US treasure used to build foreign nation's infrastructure while ours needs re-building.
    They say the devil too can quote the bible. Words only matter when they are supported by actions. Trump folds when Pelosi is angry at him and he would find an excuse not to withdraw the troops Remember when he said during the campaign that we should let Russia deal with Syria? now he is bolstering troops in Syria because of clashes with Russia in Syria. The article is talking about Trumps unconditional support and maneuvering in favor of Israel. That particular vice will not end regardless of who he is quoting.

And you can bookmark this page, quote me on that any day.

LOL, that's TDS.
    Trump making peace between 2 hostile nations in the middle east that have waged war against the Shia nations in Middle east is not making peace. He is making the point that this will not lead to any peace, it will continue the status quo.

Trump just added new sanctions on who? Iran. This is not something you do if you wanted peace.
    Last edited by John-G; 09-22-2020 at 04:11 AM.

Why is this a bad thing?
    + rep

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

LOL, that's TDS.
    Right?

Baby steps, any kind of peace is better than none.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Trump making peace between 2 hostile nations in the middle east that have waged war against the Shia nations in Middle east is not making peace. He is making the point that this will not lead to any peace, it will continue the status quo.

Trump just added new sanctions on who? Iran. This is not something you do if you wanted peace.
    How will Israel & Iran ever come to peace? At least they can see an example however small a step it is. But yes, sanctions & tariffs are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    How will Israel & Iran ever come to peace? At least they can see an example however small a step it is. But yes, sanctions & tariffs are bad.
    I don't get that part

I don't get that part
    That an Arab and Israeli nations can coexist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Peace breeds peace, Trump may not do everything you want right now but he is ending wars, bringing troops home and making peace.

Trump is moving towards peace with Iran and it has been Iran that has refused to talk, and yet he is still making progress:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1308226123902455808

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

LOL, that's TDS.
    Bull$#@!.

This is Eric Margolis who knows a whole lot more about the ME than anyone here ever will.
    There is no spoon.

Exactly- and Iran has never been the troublemaker- it just has too much oil for its own good.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Bull$#@!.

This is Eric Margolis who knows a whole lot more about the ME than anyone here ever will.
    That's a nice appeal to authority but it won't work.
    He is opposing peace because Trump and because Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Exactly- and Iran has never been the troublemaker- it just has too much oil for its own good.
    LOL

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That's a nice appeal to authority but it won't work.
    He is opposing peace because Trump and because Israel.
    Prove it.
    There is no spoon.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.