Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump's 1776 Commission to 'Promote Patriotic Education' Is Executive Overreach

Trump's 1776 Commission to 'Promote Patriotic Education' Is Executive Overreach

Trump's 1776 Commission to 'Promote Patriotic Education' Is Executive Overreach
    Elizabeth Nolan Brown | 9.18.2020

The federal government shouldn't dictate what local schools across the country teach—and in the past, conservatives have rightly denounced the idea that it should. Here, for instance, is Phyllis Schlafly in 2014 railing against Obama-era Common Core standards, which Schlafly saw as an "attempt to compel all U.S. children to be taught the same material and not taught other things parents might think important." Yet like so many other conservative principles, this one seems to have fallen by the wayside in the Trump era. Now, President Donald Trump is announcing plans for (yet another!) executive order, this one to create a "patriotic education" curriculum for U.S. public schools.

"Today I'm also pleased to announce that I will soon sign an executive order establishing a national commission to promote patriotic education," Trump said Thursday in a speech at the National Archives Museum. "It will be called the 1776 Commission."

Trump opined that "American parents are not going to accept indoctrination in our schools"…while detailing his own plan for more indoctrination into our schools.
    Not only is Trump's plan an attempt to impose curriculum on local school districts across the country with merely the president's pen and phone, but that curriculum sounds like the sort of propaganda we've come to expect from authoritarian regimes.
    More: https://reason.com/2020/09/18/trumps...ive-overreach/
    No mention of the Department of Education.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Meanwhile, Reason's articles about the 1619 Project and it's implementation as a national standard seem to revolve around minor critiques and maybe some tweeks. No mention of who has the authority to push this on the nation.

Public Schools Are Teaching The 1619 Project in Class, Despite Concerns From Historians
    "Mandating the use of The 1619 Project in K-12 curricula is at best premature until these issues are resolved."

The 1619 Project—The New York Times Magazine's much vaunted series of essays about the introduction of African slavery to the Americas—will now be taught in K-12 schools around the country.
    Many historians, though, have questioned The 1619 Project's accuracy. Five of them penned a letter to The New York Times expressing dismay "at some of the factual errors in the project and the closed process behind it." These historians said the project's contention that the American Revolution was launched "in order to ensure slavery would continue" was flat-out wrong.

Another historian, Phil Magness of the American Institute for Economic Research, has criticized Matthew Desmond's 1619 Project essay, which claimed that modern American capitalism has its roots in plantation slavery. Magness has persuasively argued that this claim lacks verification, and that Desmond relied on bad data about cotton-picking rates in the pre-Civil War south.
    Some conservative critics have overreached: Former Republican Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich called The 1619 Project "propaganda" and suggested that the Times was trying to brainwash readers. That line of attack goes too far, but there are valid criticisms of the project's ideological slant.
    "Mandating the use of The 1619 Project in K-12 curricula is at best premature until these issues are resolved and the Times makes a good faith effort to answer its critics," Magness tells Reason. "While there is merit to some of the themes raised by The 1619 Project, it continues to be marred by its empirically debunked and explicitly anti-capitalist assessment of the economics of slavery."
    More: https://reason.com/2020/01/28/1619-p...ublic-schools/
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 09-20-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Patriotism doctrines shouldn't be limited to those requiring wearing of masks in schools and banning criticism of our closest allies abroad that may have caused blowbacks like Iraq freedom war, 9/11.
    Trump ally Gov. DeSantis signed bill censors criticism of Israel in public schools

US Politics

Florida’s Governor just signed a bill that will censor criticism of Israel throughout the state’s public schools

Michael Arria on June 6, 2019

On May 31, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed a bill that prohibits anti-Semitism in public schools and universities throughout the state. However, the legislation also equates criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism, effectively censoring the advocacy of Palestinian rights.

Two days before DeSantis officially signed HB 741 into law in Florida, he carried out a symbolic signing during a ceremonial state cabinet meeting in Israel. The session featured a variety of Israeli speakers and culminated with Florida lawmakers issuing a declaration of support for the country.

The Fed Gov has NO business in education- public "education" is merely a prison for the mind.
    There is no spoon.

I eagerly await an entirely new gamut of mental contortions to promote support of Trump's latest project.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    The Fed Gov has NO business in education- public "education" is merely a prison for the mind.
    Are you telling me that the federal government shouldn't extort american businesses into funding the president's new public education project by withholding government approval of their business plans?
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Shocker!
    If you want to do business in the US, make sure and have your lobbyist ask what the appropriate bribe is.
    Pinochet is the model

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    "Mandating the use of The 1619 Project in K-12 curricula is at best premature until these issues are resolved."
    About right coming from the (T)Reason crowd.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I eagerly await an entirely new gamut of mental contortions to promote support of Trump's latest project.
    None needed.

The Trump administration supports alternative schooling, including homeschooling.

So if you do not like this curricula, you can remove your child from it.

Ideally, there will now be precedent, due to the Corona craziness, to advance the idea that if you do not use the public screwls, you should not be forced by law to pay for them.

This is not the case with the Marxist left.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 09-20-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

As opposed to the LGBTQ education and bathroom mandates?

The education system sucks.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

It is, of course, great that Trump is doing this. Talk of executive overreach is bull$#@!. This supposed neutrality within education is a phantasm, it never really existed. If you don't have patriotic education that specifically rejects leftist narratives, the left will colonize the schools, as they already have. They invade institutions that call themselves neutral and then call their brand of neoprogressivism non-ideological.

-Teaching your kids that America is a noble place is tyrannical fascism.
    -Teaching your eight year old son he can be a girl if he wants and should be on hormones is just "science"

That's what they believe. In their own minds they have no ideology. They're the last stand before the death camps come to America, and your son wanting to be a girl is just part of that.

These are the people who teach your kids. So yeah, bring on the patriotic education. At least there will be some narrative tension between what's supposed to be taught and the people teaching it.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

The school system is now voluntary with the hybrid/virtual model option. Alot of public school systems have online academies with all kinds of courses. A parent does not have to send their kid to school. Very soon they will want to homeschool and when that becomes too much for them then they will realize that if they want to learn something they can always look it up on the phone. The compulsory school system is dead in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    It is, of course, great that Trump is doing this. Talk of executive overreach is bull$#@!. This supposed neutrality within education is a phantasm, it never really existed. If you don't have patriotic education that specifically rejects leftist narratives, the left will colonize the schools, as they already have. They invade institutions that call themselves neutral and then call their brand of neoprogressivism non-ideological.

-Teaching your kids that America is a noble place is tyrannical fascism.
    -Teaching your eight year old son he can be a girl if he wants and should be on hormones is just "science"

That's what they believe. In their own minds they have no ideology. They're the last stand before the death camps come to America, and your son wanting to be a girl is just part of that.

These are the people who teach your kids. So yeah, bring on the patriotic education. At least there will be some narrative tension between what's supposed to be taught and the people teaching it.
    Trump is doing exactly what he should do until we get the feds out of the education business.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

My grandchildren are in private school and they are taught the Constitution and say the pledge of allegiance with God in it. My step grandchildren go to public school where they get to think about their opposite sex name and good stuff like that but they are distance learning at this time.

But Grandma goes over to give them their other lesson a couple times per month..

Trump is doing exactly what he should do until we get the feds out of the education business.
    Clearly in order to get the feds out of the education business we have to get them more involved in the education business first
    Last edited by TheCount; 09-20-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    Pinochet is the model

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Clearly in order to get the feds out of the education business we have to get them more involved in the education business first
    This is not getting them more involved, they are already involved and until we can get them uninvolved they should be pushing the truth instead of lies and patriotism instead of treason.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    None needed.

The Trump administration supports alternative schooling, including homeschooling.

So if you do not like this curricula, you can remove your child from it.

Ideally, there will now be precedent, due to the Corona craziness, to advance the idea that if you do not use the public screwls, you should not be forced by law to pay for them.

This is not the case with the Marxist left.
    So, who's paying the "federal cash" to parents who choose not to let their kids go to public prisons?

Again- the fed gov has NO business in education- local communities can put together education facilities, that are a choice- but a child's education should be only a family issue. And I was un-schooled, as a kid- meaning I had complete freedom to study what I wanted.
    There is no spoon.

So, who's paying the "federal cash" to parents who choose not to let their kids go to public prisons?

Again- the fed gov has NO business in education- local communities can put together education facilities, that are a choice- but a child's education should be only a family issue. And I was un-schooled, as a kid- meaning I had complete freedom to study what I wanted.
    A step in the right direction is a step in the right direction and makes each further step easier.

You will NOT eliminate all government schooling in one fell swoop, it simply isn't going to happen.

The desire for instant gratification is strong among libertarians and one of their greatest weaknesses.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Question LGBTQ curriculum

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    As opposed to the LGBTQ education and bathroom mandates?

The education system sucks.
    Is Drag Queen Story Hour part of the curriculum?

You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Is Drag Queen Story Hour part of the curriculum?

Evidently STEM coursework won't be.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Evidently STEM coursework won't be.
    The new, stronger conservatism has no use for weak things like science, math, and reason. Thinking about things is outdated; the true alpha male disregards knowledge because he relies on his feelings and gust instincts.
    Pinochet is the model

The new, stronger conservatism has no use for weak things like science, math, and reason. Thinking about things is outdated; the true alpha male disregards knowledge because he relies on his feelings and gust instincts.
    like this? LOL

Ideally, you are.

In the form of property tax abatement.

I agree 100%, no doubt.

The silver lining to the Corona craziness is the, possibly one chance in a lifetime, to challenge and alter and abolish the entire concept of compulsory government schools.

As a pushback to the sick Marxism that is peddled in the government schools, I think this measure succeeds and brings attention to the problem.

Even if does not lead to that, obviously the choice is no indoctrination, but if there is to be indoctrination, I would much rather see indoctrination about liberty, the Bill of Rights, property rights and limited government, rather than race based Marxist revolution.

Therefore I support it.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 09-20-2020 at 09:33 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Boy, this takes me back. The riots and protests that surrounded the formation of the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration. Those were the days.

Flights with bureaucrats being hijacked at knife point, flown to Havana, and handed over to the Soviets. Walter Cronkite tirades every night of the evening news. Bank robberies being masterminded by Patti Hearst. The country barely survived the last mass indoctrination of patriotism. Despite all of these actions in protest of the ARBA, still the insidious forced education went forward. Now we have to relive it 45 years later.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

like this? LOL
    Yes. Everyone knows that, as a true alpha male, if you touch or look at tofu or any other non-meat foodstuff, you will instantly become gay and trans.
    Pinochet is the model

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Boy, this takes me back. The riots and protests that surrounded the formation of the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration. Those were the days.

Flights with bureaucrats being hijacked at knife point, flown to Havana, and handed over to the Soviets. Walter Cronkite tirades every night of the evening news. Bank robberies being masterminded by Patti Hearst. The country barely survived the last mass indoctrination of patriotism. Despite all of these actions in protest of the ARBA, still the insidious forced education went forward. Now we have to relive it 45 years later.

XNN
    The Marxist left has learned many valuable lessons since 1976.

Most important lesson learned: communism is no good with Russians in it.

The Chinese have figured out how to make authoritarian Marxism "work".

Yes. Everyone knows that, as a true alpha male, if you touch or look at tofu or any other non-meat foodstuff, you will instantly become gay and trans.
    Something is turning the frogs gay.

Most likely the estrogen mimicking compounds that occur widely in processed soy products as anything else.

Most likely the estrogen mimicking compounds that occur widely in processed soy products as anything else.
    The left "if you inject female hormones you become a trans-female"
    Also the left "if you eat female hormones it won't feminize you"

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Turns out that buggy whips were made of testosterone and some of it was absorbed as your hand sweat while using them
    Pinochet is the model

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast