Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Elderly New Jersey homeowner nearly loses home — over 6 cents in back taxes

  1. #1

    Elderly New Jersey homeowner nearly loses home — over 6 cents in back taxes

    The city truly nickeled and dimed her.

    An 89-year-old New Jersey woman who suffers from Alzheimer’s disease nearly lost her home because of a measly 6 cents she owed in back taxes.

    The tiny debt, which she neglected to pay on her 2019 taxes, then accrued to more than $300 in interest by last week — prompting officials in Ocean Township put Glen Kristi Goldenthal’s home up for sale on Sept. 9, NBC New York reported.

    “Shame on anybody who can’t think far outside the box enough to come up with six cents in an office full of people. You can’t pull a dime out of your pocket?” Goldenthal’s infuriated daughter, Lisa Suhay, told the station. Suhay only found out about the 6 cents which started the whole ordeal the day her mother’s house was put up for sale.

    “She’s called me dozens of times in the last 24 hours, [asking] ‘Is my house gonna be OK? Do I have to pack? Where am I gonna go, live?’”

    Goldenthal received at least one warning call from a tax collector but Suhay, of Virginia, says her mom is forgetful due to her condition — and that even the official who phoned could tell she needed help.

    “Apparently the tax collector called her because when I talked to him, he said he realized there was something wrong, that she didn’t understand,” said Suhay. “[I said] I’m sorry, you’re selling my mother’s house today because she owes you six cents. He said yeah, it’s amazing how these things snowball…I was like, ‘It’s six cents!’”

    In a desperate attempt to save her mother’s home, Suhay called the Monmouth County township’s office, including Mayor Christopher Siciliano.

    Siciliano later apologized for the situation.

    “Naturally it’s really embarrassing the town would put someone’s home up for sale over six cents,” he said. “It’s silly.”

    Suhay paid off her mom’s debt and the house was taken off the market — but she’s still fuming.
    https://nypost.com/2020/09/16/elderl...JtBx90Ws6d_MaM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Taxes for what?

    Closed schools and cops that don't protect and serve?
    We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment. - C. S. Lewis

  4. #3
    I constantly hear ”I don’t mind paying my taxes”, “but who will build the roads?”, “we need to pay our “fair share” and everybody else should too”, and of course “I am for the “Balanced Budget Amendment””.

    So, until folks start waking up to the fact that taxation=criminal theft, I don’t much care what they do to folks over 6 lousy cents.
    “The right to life is the source of all rights—and the right to property is their only implementation. Without property rights, no other rights are possible. Since man has to sustain his life by his own effort, the man who has no right to the product of his effort has no means to sustain his life. The man who produces while others dispose of his product, is a slave.”

    Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3)

  5. #4
    The tiny debt, which she neglected to pay on her 2019 taxes, then accrued to more than $300 in interest by last week — prompting officials in Ocean Township put Glen Kristi Goldenthal’s home up for sale on Sept. 9, NBC New York reported.
    So over the period of about a year, 6 cents becomes $300 ?? What would have happened if you had to pay $300 and forgot for a year ?? Millions ?
    "I am a bird"

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    So over the period of about a year, 6 cents becomes $300 ?? What would have happened if you had to pay $300 and forgot for a year ?? Millions ?
    ...
    He said yeah, it’s amazing how these things snowball…
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

  7. #6
    I wonder how the state treats overcharges or inaccurate accounting that adversely affects the taxpayer. Would a $0.06 overcharge turn into a $300 refund a year later?

  8. #7
    Supporting Member
    North Wilkesboro, NC
    olehounddog's Avatar


    Posts
    1,803
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverseSegregation View Post
    I wonder how the state treats overcharges or inaccurate accounting that adversely affects the taxpayer. Would a $0.06 overcharge turn into a $300 refund a year later?
    Late payment fee?

  9. #8
    That is $#@!ing ridiculous.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

    Calvin Coolidge



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    I constantly hear ”I don’t mind paying my taxes”, “but who will build the roads?”, “we need to pay our “fair share” and everybody else should too”, and of course “I am for the “Balanced Budget Amendment””.

    So, until folks start waking up to the fact that taxation=criminal theft, I don’t much care what they do to folks over 6 lousy cents.
    I say the same with this as with the cops. It takes a few bumps on the head before you can awaken from the slave programming we all suffer through. I am like you in that I hope everyone gets it good and hard by these tyrants. It's the only way they will drag their gazes from their screens and sugar treats. As always, a tipping point must be reached. Tip already!
    I want my rep bars back. It's all I got around here.




Similar Threads

  1. ME-Elderly Couple Evicted, Thrown Out, for Failing to Pay Property Taxes on Their Home
    By Anti Federalist in forum Individual Rights Violations: Case Studies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-12-2017, 08:16 PM
  2. Losing a home over $400 in back taxes
    By shane77m in forum Economy & Markets
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 02:00 AM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 11:03 PM
  4. Rapper Young Buck's home raided by shotgun toting Feds.....over back taxes.
    By TheBlackPeterSchiff in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 10:58 AM
  5. Congress Set to Raise Taxes on Cigars from 5 cents to $10.00
    By Spirit of '76 in forum U.S. Political News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 12:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •