Thread: Trump nominates libertarian non-interventionist Will Ruger for Afghan Ambassador

Trump nominates libertarian non-interventionist Will Ruger for Afghan Ambassador

Today, President Donald J. Trump announced his intent to nominate the following individual to a key position in his Administration:

William Ruger, of Virginia, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.

William Ruger serves as Vice President for Research and Policy at the Charles Koch Institute and Vice President for Foreign Policy at Stand Together. He was previously an Associate Professor in the Department of Political Science at Texas State University and an adjunct Assistant Professor at the LBJ School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas at Austin. He serves on several non-profit boards, including the Board of Directors of the Center for the National Interest and the Advisory Board of the Policing Project at the New York University School of Law.

Dr. Ruger is a veteran of the Afghanistan War and an officer in the United States Navy (Reserve Component). Dr. Ruger’s scholarship has appeared in a number of academic journals and he is the author of the biography Milton Friedman and coauthor of two books on state politics, including Freedom in the 50 States.

Dr. Ruger was awarded his A.B. degree from The College of William and Mary and his Ph.D. from Brandeis University. He also earned a Special Operations Warfighter Certificate from the Joint Special Operations University in Tampa, Florida. He is the recipient of numerous awards including the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, the Navy Achievement Medal, and the Afghanistan Campaign Medal with campaign star.
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...FKeOQLieqZIvs0

Trump vets Afghan war skeptic for ambassador job

President Donald Trump is considering nominating Will Ruger, a Koch-affiliated foreign policy expert who wants to pull all American troops out of Afghanistan, to be the U.S. ambassador to that war-torn country, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter.

Ruger has been interviewed several times in the last few weeks by officials in the Presidential Personnel Office, and also interviewed at the State Department with counselor Ulrich Brechbuhl a few weeks ago, according to the person. He has passed most of a background check and gone through an ethics review. Ruger has not been formally selected by Trump, and there are other candidates for the position, however, according to two people familiar with the matter.

A White House spokesperson had no comment. Ruger declined to comment.Ruger, a Naval Reserve officer who served a year in Afghanistan a decade ago, is aligned with the president’s thinking about the U.S. footprint in the Middle East and the wars in Afghanistan and Syria, and has been especially vocal about getting out of Afghanistan.

“President Trump has correctly concluded that a full and speedy withdrawal of our troops is imperative,” he wrote in the American Interest in late May. “Our national interest isn’t served by continuing to wage a futile battle but by exiting it.”

While a number of former senior military officials have urged Trump to keep a residual force in Afghanistan, Ruger, who supports the peace process led by Zalmay Khalilzad, wrote that the “establishment elites have failed to tell us how staying is going to accomplish much more than wasting additional American blood and treasure.”
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...l-ruger-368342

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well...whaddya know about that?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phill4paul again.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

RonZep, teh Count and Sieg Heil, Che!, in any minute to tell us what a turd Trump is.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    RonZep, teh Count and Sieg Heil, Che!, in any minute to tell us what a turd Trump is.
    To be fair, I just want him to end the damn wars, he doesn't need a libertarian ambassador to do it. The wars were started without libertarian anything and it can be ended without one. On the bright side, at least one can say that he is not nominating Elliot Abrams or John Bolton types. As the saying goes, when you've hit rock bottom, the only place to go is up.

Hope he does the right thing to ignore the bitching and whining from Washington swamp establishment and end these damn wars now. Also, I don't think Trump hasn't done anything commendable in office, my issue is that he talks a lot of about doing the right thing and ends up doing very few of the right policies and also the amount of the bad policies overshadows the good stuff which makes it hard for me to praise him.

Its like when you come home with good grades to your parents only to inform them that you just knocked up the neighbour girl. On one hand they want to congratulate you for your grades but can't because they now have a more devastating problem to deal with.

Give that man a cigar.

Although you missed enhanced erectile dysfunction to tell you it's just serving the joos.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Trump is ending the wars and the trolls hate him for it.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

All the neocons (who libertarians used to hate) have been attacking Trump non stop for years now. Most of them joined the Democrats and went to the DNC to denounce Trump. Now because of TDS, RPF is completely silent on neocons, some defend the neocons and even promote their books.

Funny how it would take a non-libertarian like Trump to show libertarians their own hypocrisy. Epitome of pathetic. Yea...you.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Hopefully this results in all troops in the ME coming home.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump is ending the wars and the trolls hate him for it.
    You have been saying this for years now and yet he hasn't ended the war, if anything he has been trying to start new ones in Iran and Venezuela. And if he loses this election then he loses his opportunity to end the wars. He should talk less and act more.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Hopefully this results in all troops in the ME coming home.
    Nominating a libertarian ambassador will result in pulling ALL troops from the ME? that is not even being proposed by anybody. We have troops in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Jordan, Syria etc etc the best you can get from this is the puling of Afghan troops. ALL troops? no f'ing way

Quote Originally Posted by John-G View Post
    You have been saying this for years now and yet he hasn't ended the war, if anything he has been trying to start new ones in Iran and Venezuela. And if he loses this election then he loses his opportunity to end the wars. He should talk less and act more.
    When did the wars start? The literal term. The actual attack of military and civilian structures within the country.

Nominating a libertarian ambassador will result in pulling ALL troops from the ME? that is not even being proposed by anybody. We have troops in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Jordan, Syria etc etc the best you can get from this is the puling of Afghan troops. ALL troops? no f'ing way
    So the pulling of Afghan troops is a non-starter. You're an all for nothing or GTFO kinda guy. What are you? 12? Or a Libertarian?

So the pulling of Afghan troops is a non-starter. You're an all for nothing or GTFO kinda guy. What are you? 12? Or a Libertarian?
    I never actually said pulling troops wasn't enough, just as the numbers keep going down and not increasing everything there is a flare up in violence or the general throw a temper tantrum. I was replied to the member who was hoping for complete removal of all the troops in the ME when that is not even proposed by anyone.

My father used to tell me, "When you are facing the right direction, all you need to do is keep walking". So as long as the number continue to decrease, I am OK. I am NOT an all or nothing kind of guy. I am way more reasonable and fair than some of you Trump uber supporters would give me credit for.

When did the wars start? The literal term. The actual attack of military and civilian structures within the country.
    The war started during Bush's term. So long ago that he should be able to make a convincing argument to end em now.

He literally signed a peace deal with the Taliban and is withdrawing ALL our troops and has said ALL our troops will leave Iraq as well.

Your propaganda has no power here.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

He literally signed a peace deal with the Taliban and is withdrawing ALL our troops and has said ALL our troops will leave Iraq as well.

Your propaganda has no power here.
    I support decreasing troop numbers, I dunno what you think my propaganda is

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The war started during Bush's term. So long ago that he should be able to make a convincing argument to end em now.
    Lol. You said you weren't naivete.

Hopefully something good will come out of this historic appointment 3 weeks before Biden takes over elections and after 2020 election date there will be no more taxayers funded troops in Iraq and Afghanistan to surround Iran from both sides to stand with our closest democracy freedom spreader allies in mideast.

But from glullibility/foolme 3.0 standpoint, aren't the latest 'anti forever wars' billionaires funding this 'libertarian' guy the same kids who funded 'anti-war Obama'?

George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever war’ policy

By Stephen Kinzer June 30, 2019

The Koch Foundation Is Trying to Reshape Foreign Policy
    nytimes
    Sep 10, 2019 - William Ruger, who leads the Koch network's foreign-policy initiative

Public wars fatigue is probably the only major catalyst, hopefully deep neocons are not planning gulliblity play 3.0 before next escalation post election.
    Another randon libertarian sighting courtesy of same libertarian leadership:

US Seizes 4 Iranian Fuel Tankers En Route To Venezuela, Diverts To Houston
    08-14-2020

If the CFR is seriously moving toward removing US military, it means they've secured all the resources for their corporations, firmly installed their puppet governments, and now no longer need the troops to enforce it. UN/NWO complete.

19 years since 9/11. List of 7 countries almost checked off... (Iran TBD)

(Also, looking at a map, it appears the last 19 years have been spent paving the way for "China's" One Belt One Road land route through the middle east. That has been successfully completed.)
    Last edited by devil21; 09-11-2020 at 12:13 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    If the CFR is seriously moving toward removing US military, it means they've secured all the resources for their corporations, firmly installed their puppet governments, and now no longer need the troops to enforce it. UN/NWO complete.

19 years since 9/11. List of 7 countries almost checked off... (Iran TBD)

(Also, looking at a map, it appears the last 19 years have been spent paving the way for "China's" One Belt One Road land route through the middle east. That has been successfully completed.)
    It appears the regime change and intervention that neocons/libs/interventionists wanted is not going well.

Oh gee, he appointed a seemingly nice guy to a single position in his entire administration! Well, $#@! me I guess that's that, he's perfect in every way!
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    It appears the regime change and intervention that neocons/libs/interventionists wanted is not going well.
    You can't be serious. If you're going to reply, I hope you have since learned English since our last exchange.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

You can't be serious. If you're going to reply, I hope you have since learned English since our last exchange.
    It seems to me that you are a bot the way you are trying to attack me on every post.
    Did a post of mine trigger you snowflake?
    Last edited by AngryCanadian; 09-11-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Oh gee, he appointed a seemingly nice guy to a single position in his entire administration! Well, $#@! me I guess that's that, he's perfect in every way!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    It seems to me that you are a bot the way you are trying to attack me on every post.
    Did a post of mine trigger you snowflake?
    Congratulations on posting intelligible english. Did the last guy get replaced after I outed him as an obvious foreign agent?

Congratulations on posting intelligible english. Did the last guy get replaced after I outed him as an obvious foreign agent?
    Got triggered again?

Correcting others' grammar on the internet when you have no argument left, died 15 years ago.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Covered.

Thanks for adding reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

all soldiers should return. america is about to go to hell soon