Thread: Any current college students?

Exclamation Any current college students?

I've been out of college for almost 13 years. I'm wondering if there are any current college students who visit this forum? I would like to hear stories from people who are on the ground. What they see and experience on a daily basis.

When I was in college years ago I only had two professors who were obviously left leaning and they only made digging comments here and there. High school was actually worse and this was back in the 90's. My high school teachers openly expressed contempt for anyone right of center, but I understand where they were coming from they were old school pro teachers union democrats.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am currently taking post-graduate level classes.

In my high school, learning was totally discouraged. Outside of English, Spanish, and French classes, I learned nothing in high school. I learned no algebra in the Math classes and I learned nothing in Chemistry, other than the fact that I hated Chemistry. There was a huge focus on weekly pep rallies and lots of school dances. It was weird.

The first few college classes I took, in 1994, had a professor who was arrogant, but not particularly liberal. I did like that learning was encouraged, something that wasn't really encouraged in my high school.

For my B.Sci degree, in later years, I was required to take a liberal arts Sociology class (something I never would have taken on my own), and although I could tell the instructor was personally very liberal, she didn't really push an agenda. I was able to state my opinions without any fear of reprisal or backlash, even during the "conspiracy theory" chapters.

In my postgrad classes, the course materials talk a lot about inclusion and diversity (those areas of the text can be skimmed), but the professors themselves have been neutral on ideology. I never felt as though I couldn't pass if I disagreed with some of the material. I was never told I was "wrong" for having a differing opinion.

I have a close friend who is an English professor at a state school here in my state (Arizona). She was accused by a student of "liberal bias" for failing the student, and there had to be a long investigation by the academic dean. My friend is an evangelical Christian and Trump voter; she laughed out loud when she learned she was accused of failing a student due to her "liberal bias".

My son is a college sophomore student in an especially liberal leaning institution, in an especially liberal state. I had these concerns. In discussion he said only one professor was overtly political and hard left leaning. He appreciated this professor; however, as the professor explained why they believe as they do politically, yet students were encouraged to seek their own political path. His experience may be slightly different as he is a mathematics degree major. I assume it can be difficult to politicize calculus equations. As posted above, his experience claims there is a lot more pressure for political conformity towards liberalism from high school teachers than he has experienced in college.

I had a guy I knew at Fort Lewis that joined the Army on a two yr enlistment when he ran out of college money. I could spot his car a 1/4 mile away in the parking lot . It said " I is a college student " on the back. Always made me smile when I pulled in the lot.
    Do something Danke