Thread: [Massie] GOP congressman urges Trump to pardon NSA leaker Edward Snowden

[Massie] GOP congressman urges Trump to pardon NSA leaker Edward Snowden

GOP congressman urges Trump to pardon NSA leaker Edward Snowden
    By Andrew Blake - Friday, August 14, 2020

President Trump faced a fresh push Friday from within the Republican Party to pardon Edward J. Snowden, the former U.S. contractor who leaked secrets about government surveillance.

Rep. Thomas Massie, Kentucky Republican, urged Mr. Trump to intervene after a report indicated the president may consider the possibility of letting Mr. Snowden avoid prison.

Posting on Twitter, Mr. Massie tagged the accounts of both Mr. Trump and Mr. Snowden and encouraged the president to pardon the former U.S. National Security Agency contractor.

“Employees of the US government violated the Constitution and lied to Congress and the American people about it. @Snowden exposed them. This is bigger than him. If he’s punished for his service to the Constitution, there will be more violations of the Constitution, and more lies,” Mr. Massie, a member of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform and Science, said in a subsequent tweet explaining his reasoning.
    The New York Post reported Thursday that during a White House interview, Mr. Trump polled his aides about whether he should let Mr. Snowden return to the U.S without going to prison.

“There are a lot of people that think that he is not being treated fairly. I mean, I hear that,” Mr. Trump told The Post, the newspaper reported afterward.

“Many people are on his side, I will say that. I don’t know him, never met him. But many people are on his side,” Mr. Trump added, according to the newspaper. “I’ve heard it both ways. From traitor to he’s being you know persecuted. I’ve heard it both ways.”
    More: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...sa-leaker-edw/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

If enough voices join in, we can make this a campaign issue. I think Trump would seriously consider a pardon if he believes it's what the people want. Really hoping this means we can expect similar clemency for Julian Assange!

Snowden getting pardoned and staying alive after returning to the US would somewhat restore my faith in humanity.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I'd be so happy if Snowden were to get pardoned.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Make it Snowden AND Julian!!!
    There is no spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Snowden would go for it even if they told him, turn yourself in and get 5 years.
    Last edited by Mach; 08-17-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    FJB

I hope Rand calls in his chips on the issue. Massie is not the right guy for this job.

Snowden doesn't even need a pardon, he consistently asks for a fair trial, and Trump should order Barr to give him one.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Julian wasn't even under US jurisdiction. His arrest and charge are completely illegal.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Julian can't even get pardoned since he's not a US citizen.

Calvin Coolidge

Snowden should have position inside Trump security admin

So intelligent & honorable imo

The fact that Trump is now talking about a potential pardon for Edward Snowden makes me think that his internal polling shows LP candidate Jo Jorgensen as a threat to his reelection.

It's possible that the margin of victory in certain key states is such that Trump now feels compelled to push messaging designed to win over libertarians.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post

https://twitter.com/AmbassadorRice/s...97549560385543

https://twitter.com/USAB4L/status/1295151475149111298
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Thank you Rice for pretty much admitting how much of a neocon you are.

Calvin Coolidge

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Thomas Massie (and Glenn Jacobs) again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Julian can't even get pardoned since he's not a US citizen.
    This is not correct. Anyone accused, charged or convicted under US federal law can be pardoned by POTUS, regardless of citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Massie is not the right guy for this job.
    Anyone who has a voice and gives a damn about justice is "the right guy for this job."

And if Trump doesn't want to hear it (because it's not coming from the "right" person), then that's on him ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Trump's fine with Julian; he hurt Clinton and so helped Trump. Trump's problem with Snowden (whom he, until recently, wanted to execute for treason) is that Snowden opposes the PATRIOT Act, etc, which Trump loves. I suppose this is a desperate ploy by Trump to win over some independents who don't share his love of indefinie detention and torture.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    [I]

Anyone who has a voice and gives a damn about justice is "the right guy for this job."

And if Trump doesn't want to hear it (because it's not coming from the "right" person), then that's on him ...
    Am I mistaken here? Who has the sole decision making power on federal pardons?

Oh....
    THE SQUAD of RPF

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

Massie should leave the GOP, like Amash.

The red trash party doesn't deserve anyone of quality; they deserve people like Hannity, Trump, Tucker, etc.

Demagoguery is a skill, but not one which libertarians should value.

Am I mistaken here? Who has the sole decision making power on federal pardons?

Oh....
    I don't understand what the question "Who has the sole decision-making power on federal pardons?" (answer: POTUS) has to do with my rebuttal to the claim that "Massie is not the right guy for [the] job [of encouraging POTUS to pardon Snowden]."
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-17-2020 at 08:36 PM.

I don't understand what the question "Who has the sole decision-making power on federal pardons?" (answer: POTUS) has to do with my rebuttal to the claim that "Massie is not the right guy for [the] job [of encouraging POTUS to pardon Snowden]."
    You know the argument you made. If you forgot, here it is again.

[I]
    Ok so generalized slogans aside...

The right person for this job is the one that can convince/persuade the decision maker here. Massie, as great as he is, is not the right guy for this job, for the same reason you stated above. See? you already know what I'm talking about.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You know the argument you made. If you forgot, here it is again.
    Yes, I do know what argument I made. And I still don't get what you imagine your point was supposed to be ...

The right person for this job is the one that can convince/persuade the decision maker here. Massie, as great as he is, is not the right guy for this job, for the same reason you stated above. See? you already know what I'm talking about.
    No, I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

You said that Rand should "call in his chips on the issue" and that Massie was not "the right guy for this job." I disagreed, and for some reason, you replied that only POTUS has the power to pardon at the federal level - as if that has anything to do with the question of who should or should not be trying to encourage POTUS to pardon Snowden. (The obvious answer to that question is, as I previously stated, "everyone" - which includes Rand and Massie). Furthermore, Massie's endorsement of a presidential pardon (regardless of whether he is "the right guy for this job," whatever you think that means) in no way interferes with or prevents Rand from exercising whatever influence you imagine he has with Trump.