Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump: ‘A lot of people’ think Ed Snowden ‘not being treated fairly’

Trump: ‘A lot of people’ think Ed Snowden ‘not being treated fairly’

Let's see where this goes...
    https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/trump-...reated-fairly/
    Trump: ‘A lot of people’ think Edward Snowden ‘not being treated fairly’
    By Steven Nelson and Ebony Bowden
    August 13, 2020 | 7:23pm

President Trump polled his aides on Thursday about whether he should let anti-surveillance whistleblower and leaker Edward Snowden return to the US from Russia without going to prison, saying he was open to it.

“There are a lot of people that think that he is not being treated fairly. I mean, I hear that,” Trump told The Post in an exclusive interview in the Oval Office, before soliciting views from his staff.

Trump commented on Snowden for the first time as president after accusing former President Barack Obama of spying on his 2016 campaign.

“When you look at [former FBI Director James] Comey and [former FBI Deputy Director Andrew] McCabe, and [former CIA Director John] Brennan — and, excuse me, the man that sat at this desk, President Obama, got caught spying on my campaign with Biden. Biden and Obama, and they got caught spying on the campaign,” Trump said.

Trump’s comments reflect a remarkable softening in his views about the man he once deemed a “traitor” worthy of execution. Republican lawmakers and the Justice Department’s inspector general recently highlighted misuse of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and the secret FISA court to surveil former Trump adviser Carter Page.

“Snowden is one of the people they talk about. They talk about numerous people, but he is certainly one of the people that they do talk about,” Trump said on Thursday, before turning to his aides. “I guess the DOJ is looking to extradite him right now? … It’s certainly something I could look at. Many people are on his side, I will say that. I don’t know him, never met him. But many people are on his side.”

The president then asked his staff: “How do you feel about that, Snowden? Haven’t heard the name in a long time.”

After polling the room, Trump added: “I’ve heard it both ways. From traitor to he’s being, you know, persecuted. I’ve heard it both ways.”

Snowden’s legal team has tried in vain to negotiate a prison-free return to the US for the former National Security Agency contractor, who exposed the fact that the FISA court was secretly approving the dragnet collection of domestic call records.

Before taking office, Trump tweeted at least 45 times denouncing Snowden as a traitor and calling for his execution.

In a 2013 tweet, Trump wrote: “Snowden is a spy who should be executed-but if it and he could reveal Obama’s records, I might become a major fan.”

https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/trump-...reated-fairly/
    (off-topic - Be sure to listen to today's Ron Paul Liberty Report! Great interview with Robert Kennedy Jr; 12 minutes on the CIA, the rest on vaccines, Covid and the harm the lock-down is doing!)
    Last edited by Valli6; 08-14-2020 at 11:10 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Remarkable softening sounds about right.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

If Snowden ever does return to the US, he'll most likely be killed or arrested.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Many say Trump is one of the greatest opportunist flip-flopper wind surfer politicians in the history.

Trump's suggestion on what to do with Snowden: kill him.
    We are ALL aware of what Trump said about Snowden years ago, long before he had all the info he does now - and before we had proof that our own government spied on a presidential campaign - which incidentally happens to have been Trump's. Furthermore, it's mentioned in the article I posted. There's really no need for you to harp on it now.

If it leads to getting Snowden back home, and (in logical sequence) possibly also giving Assange clemency and the chance to spill his guts in a public forum - WHY would you bitch about it?

Many say Trump is one of the greatest opportunist flip-flopper wind surfer politicians in the history.

Trump's suggestion on what to do with Snowden: kill him.
    +rep

Drone Gangsta President Donnell is a homicidal maniac.

& a Wealth Spread Communist too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    If Snowden ever does return to the US, he'll most likely be killed or arrested.
    Exactly my first reaction. He'll be JFK'd.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    We are ALL aware of what Trump said about Snowden years ago, long before he had all the info he does now - and before we had proof that our own government spied on a presidential campaign - which incidentally happens to have been Trump's. Furthermore, it's mentioned in the article I posted. There's really no need for you to harp on it now.

If it leads to getting Snowden back home, and (in logical sequence) possibly also giving Assange clemency and the chance to spill his guts in a public forum - WHY would you bitch about it?
    TDS victims NEED Trump to be the devil incarnate, it makes them even more angry when he does good things for depriving them of their justification for their addictive hatred.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump should pardon Snowden & Assange.

Really amping up the spectacle on the Snowden Limited Hangout.

Let's see where this goes...
    Maybe someone in Congress will comment...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Edward-Snowden
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

And then there were two...

https://twitter.com/justinamash/stat...33090849067013
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Great! I only heard about this story because Massie tweeted about it.

https://twitter.com/justinamash/stat...33090849067013
    It's sure a good thing Massie hasn't gone out of his way to endorse the treasonous coup and make Trump his enemy for life because Trump won't be listening to Amash.
    It might be better if Amash kept his mouth shut, he might make Trump not listen to Massie.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Eddie the Snowman is a f*&^%n hero, and should be given the Presidential Medal of Freedom! Trump and his mindless and mercurial policy vacillations are frustrating, but if he could be just pushed in the right direction more often, perhaps some victories could be had. We needed more of Rand whispering in his ear this entire time. Truly, though, I'm tired of hearing that "some people think masks are patriotic" or "some people like Snowden". Think for yourself you big, orange bastard!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    ^This. It's interesting that Trump didn't soften on Snowden until his re-election became shaky. Trump knew about the Obama administration spying on him as far back as 2017. Anyway, if Snowden and Assange get a pardon out of this then that's good thing. I feel the same way about the First Step Act and the FUTURE Act. Whatever reason someone has for doing good is good.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It'd be great for Snowden to be rightfully pardoned, or as he has stated at least be allowed a fair trial. Talk about patriotism when he would even put faith in the legal system if a fair trial could even happen. I couldn't find a poll, I somehow doubt trump's base would like the idea of pardoning a whistleblower.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

It's sure a good thing Massie hasn't gone out of his way to endorse the treasonous coup and make Trump his enemy for life because Trump won't be listening to Amash.
    It might be better if Amash kept his mouth shut, he might make Trump not listen to Massie.
    Because Trump is a vindictive weasel who can't think for himself?

Trump For President 2016: I LOVE WIKILEAKS! WE LOVE WIKILEAKS, DON'T WE ALL LOVE WIKILEAKS? VOTE FOR ME IF YOU LOVE WIKILEAKS!

Trump President 2019: Julian Who? Never heard of him. Next question.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

He should, without a doubt.

Amazing how fast one can change when the become the target of the surveillance state that both tried warning everybody about.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

You don't enlighten anyone by telling them what they already know

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Trump For President 2016: I LOVE WIKILEAKS! WE LOVE WIKILEAKS, DON'T WE ALL LOVE WIKILEAKS? VOTE FOR ME IF YOU LOVE WIKILEAKS!

Yeah! Lets elect Biden & Harris for a perfect government that we can count on to fulfill all our small government and liberty dreams!

Never mind that one of them is currently a dementia-driven corpse (to say nothing of his 40-50 years of corrupt practices), while the other is a primping prosecutor with a democrat-favored complexion and genitalia - and whose success in life was built on locking up as many people as possible!

Thats a sure way to set both Snowden and Assange free!
    /sarc

Seriously, what is the point of these comments where posters appear to believe they are enlightening the rest of us by repeating what is already obvious? Are you convinced you’re smarter than everyone else here? or do you just have some emotional need to pretend you are?

This is RPFs. We are not “D vs R” people. We’ve followed this issue pretty meticulously, forever. By nature, we don’t attract people who harbor a lot of illusions, so you aren’t saving anybody here. I don’t think anyone here believes re-electing Trump is all it takes to undo the damage of the last 100 years. Right now, all I hope for is to stop the bleeding!

• Being able to share new and thought-provoking information is great!
    • Arguing the pros and cons of ideas & policies is great!
    • Banding together to positively influence decisions being made in government, even just one decision, is kind of what the Ron Paul movement was built around.
    • Actively supporting clemency for Snowden and Assange is a way for us to help bring about the restoration of our founding principles and even lead to uncovering more of the corruption that brought us to this point!

Just what is it you are trying to accomplish, when you can’t resist an opportunity to sneer down the possibility of some positive move forward?

Are you mentally ill, or are you just here to demoralize the rest of us?

Either way, we don’t need that $#@! here!

Rand is in!

Three!

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/

Exactly!
    There is no spoon.

Yes, he should have given the Demoncrats more impeachment ammo instead so we could have POTUS Pelousy.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    It'd be great for Snowden to be rightfully pardoned, or as he has stated at least be allowed a fair trial. Talk about patriotism when he would even put faith in the legal system if a fair trial could even happen. I couldn't find a poll, I somehow doubt trump's base would like the idea of pardoning a whistleblower.
    If it was framed for what it was, I bet they absolutely would.

"Snowden's only crime was embarrassing Hillary Clinton."

No way his base wouldn't go for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Yeah! Lets elect Biden & Harris for a perfect government that we can count on to fulfill all our small government and liberty dreams!

Never mind that one of them is currently a dementia-driven corpse (to say nothing of his 40-50 years of corrupt practices), while the other is a primping prosecutor with a democrat-favored complexion and genitalia - and whose success in life was built on locking up as many people as possible!

Thats a sure way to set both Snowden and Assange free!
    /sarc

Seriously, what is the point of these comments where posters appear to believe they are enlightening the rest of us by repeating what is already obvious? Are you convinced you’re smarter than everyone else here? or do you just have some emotional need to pretend you are?

This is RPFs. We are not “D vs R” people. We’ve followed this issue pretty meticulously, forever. By nature, we don’t attract people who harbor a lot of illusions, so you aren’t saving anybody here. I don’t think anyone here believes re-electing Trump is all it takes to undo the damage of the last 100 years. Right now, all I hope for is to stop the bleeding!

• Being able to share new and thought-provoking information is great!
    • Arguing the pros and cons of ideas & policies is great!
    • Banding together to positively influence decisions being made in government, even just one decision, is kind of what the Ron Paul movement was built around.
    • Actively supporting clemency for Snowden and Assange is a way for us to help bring about the restoration of our founding principles and even lead to uncovering more of the corruption that brought us to this point!

Just what is it you are trying to accomplish, when you can’t resist an opportunity to sneer down the possibility of some positive move forward?

Are you mentally ill, or are you just here to demoralize the rest of us?

Either way, we don’t need that $#@! here!
    You sound a little more than a tad bit triggered but my point was simply that Trump says a lot of $#@! when it's election season about red meat like Snowden and Assange, et al that is never followed up on. I don't subscribe to delusional wishful thinking that it's different this time. ymmv

Continuing to buy into the charades and lies from candidates is that whole "consent of the governed" to whatever outcome the real controllers, who control both candidates, decide to foist upon the rest of us. Want to advance liberty? Listen to the founders who told us that our consent is obtained via our participation in governance (ie voting). Don't like what you're receiving? Withdraw your consent. I'm long past done blowing smoke and sunshine up people's asses that this time will be different. Carry on, however.
    Last edited by devil21; 08-15-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

You sound a little more than a tad bit triggered but my point was simply that Trump says a lot of $#@! when it's election season about red meat like Snowden and Assange, et al that is never followed up on. I don't subscribe to delusional wishful thinking that it's different this time. ymmv

Continuing to buy into the charades and lies from candidates is that whole "consent of the governed" to whatever outcome the real controllers, who control both candidates, decide to foist upon the rest of us. Want to advance liberty? Listen to the founders who told us that our consent is obtained via our participation in governance (ie voting). Don't like what you're receiving? Withdraw your consent. I'm long past done blowing smoke and sunshine up people's asses that this time will be different. Carry on, however.
    I’ve asserted that participants of this forum are well aware of the dishonesty inherent in politics. We are not naive here and I don’t appreciate your condescension. You’ve ignored every thing I said in my previous post and reiterated that it’s stupid to consider doing anything more than sitting back and watching things suck. Why are you doing that? Promoting apathy has never been a goal of Ron Paul Forums.

This forum is a means for organizing activism - not just a place to bitch and moan. I see an opportunity to influence an incumbent presidential candidate’s actions.

If Trump is of a mind to show leniency to Snowden and Assange - for whatever reason - we’d be wise to run with it. We can take steps to amplify the issue and let Trump know that the public supports what these men have done for us.

I can only doubt the intentions of anyone who uses this forum to promote apathy.

A lot of people think statements made in last few weeks of 4 years term just before the elections are mostly typical election season gimmicks.

Why a lot of people waited for 3.90 years to say what they are saying now suddenly as poll numbers continue to show a slipping race?

Granted he's a populist, top donors money probably has more pull for a money celeberating biz/reality star turned populaist. Strong leaders don't need mob approval or plaeding if they have the mental fortitude to see what is right step and what is not.
    "A lot of people" think there should be no more troops in Afghanistan and globalist interventions should be ended.. but there are 8600 troops in Afghanistan today to surround Iran from both sides, where 8400 in Jan 2017. Just few weeks ago thusands of more US troops were sent to mideast, this week Iranian oil ships heading towards Venez were seized.

What do "a lot of people" think about that?

A lot of people think statements made in last few weeks of 4 years term just before the elections are mostly typical election season gimmicks.

Why a lot of people waited for 3.90 years to say what they are saying now suddenly as poll numbers continue to show a slipping race?

Granted he's a populist, top donors money probably has more pull for a money celeberating biz/reality star turned populaist. Strong leaders don't need mob approval or plaeding if they have the mental fortitude to see what is right step and what is not.
    "A lot of people" think there should be no more troops in Afghanistan and globalist interventions should be ended.. but there are 8600 troops in Afghanistan today to surround Iran from both sides, where 8400 in Jan 2017. Just few weeks ago thusands of more US troops were sent to mideast, this week Iranian oil ships heading towards Venez were seized.

What do "a lot of people" think about that?
    A lot of people think that replacing activism with incessant complaining over the lack of perfection in the real world is counterproductive, as well as annoying.

I’ve asserted that participants of this forum are well aware of the dishonesty inherent in politics. We are not naive here and I don’t appreciate your condescension. You’ve ignored every thing I said in my previous post and reiterated that it’s stupid to consider doing anything more than sitting back and watching things suck. Why are you doing that? Promoting apathy has never been a goal of Ron Paul Forums. This forum is a means for organizing activism - not just a place to bitch and moan. I see an opportunity to influence an incumbent presidential candidate’s actions. If Trump is of a mind to show leniency to Snowden and Assange - for whatever reason - we’d be wise to run with it. We can take steps to amplify the issue and let Trump know that the public supports what these men have done for us. I can only doubt the intentions of anyone who uses this forum to promote apathy.
    A lot of people think that replacing activism with incessant complaining over the lack of perfection in the real world is counterproductive, as well as annoying.
    Some people are only here to use deceit and guile to keep liberty from ever gaining any ground.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast