Thread: Trump walking back tax cuts already

Trump walking back tax cuts already

The white house realized Trump said he was ending Social Security by saying he would make tax cuts permanent if re-elected. Let the 'oh crap, the guy bragging he can identify a lion didn't actually mean that' restatements start.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews.../#3d65ae2d6b3b

In a speech announcing the actions at his golf resort in Bedminster, N.J., on Saturday, Trump also announced, “If victorious on November 3rd, I plan to forgive these taxes and make permanent cuts to the payroll tax,” adding “I’m going to make them all permanent.”

But those announcements drew swift and fierce condemnation from liberals, who were quick to note that the payroll tax funds Social Security and Medicare, broadly popular programs the defunding of which would doubtless damage Trump politically.

White House economic advisor Larry Kudlow asserted on CNN’s State of the Union that Trump “will protect Social Security and Medicare,” claiming that the deferral, not a payroll tax cut, is what “will be made permanent. It will be forgiven,” which CNN host Dana Bash argued is “not what the president said at all.”
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FAKE NEWS

Trump didn't walk back anything.

Kudlow has no authority.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Kudlow has a tendency to shoot off his mouth:

Kudlow said he 'spoke out of turn'

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    FAKE NEWS

Trump didn't walk back anything.
    Which just goes to show how bleedin' stupid the Narcissist-in-Chief is. There's no way Social Security is going to be defunded.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Social security isn't even going to be there for young people when they get old anyway.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Hmm....if I wanted to stop paying out benefits to a group of people, how would I ensure they no longer needed the money without drawing scrutiny?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    The white house realized Trump said he was ending Social Security by saying he would make tax cuts permanent if re-elected. Let the 'oh crap, the guy bragging he can identify a lion didn't actually mean that' restatements start.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews.../#3d65ae2d6b3b
    Personally I think it is very forward thinking . Long term Social security cannot be funded this way because it is criminally put into the general fund and spent within ten days .This is why there is no money . It would need to be funded differently.

Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 08-26-2020 at 08:07 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Communists love big stupid oppressive gov & taxes.

Kudlow, Donnell & AOC.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 08-10-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    Communists love big stupid oppressive gov & taxes.

Kudlow, Donnell & AOC.
    Trump is a leftist? i guess you should get excited for Biden then. Should Biden win which i doubt at this rate.

Jeez, at least try to make the title somewhat accurate..

If it doesn't get extended, it is still a tax cut for a half of a year so it isn't walking back anything. As far as what happens after that, Kudlow doesn't speak for Trump.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Thumbs down Helicopter Communism - Free Green Money Deal

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Trump is a leftist? i guess you should get excited for Biden then. Should Biden win which i doubt at this rate.

Wealth Spread Communism has come to America.
    Last edited by RonZeplin; 08-10-2020 at 04:21 PM.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Social security isn't even going to be there for young people when they get old anyway.
    Exactly, which is why it needs to be phased out in an orderly fashion.

Shifting it to be funded by the genera fund and getting rid of the tax is the first step towards doing that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Exactly, which is why it needs to be phased out in an orderly fashion.

Shifting it to be funded by the genera fund and getting rid of the tax is the first step towards doing that.
    Eliminating the payroll tax will only increase the huge deficits that have already been run up due to Covid, and eliminating Social Security is politically impossible; the people wouldn't stand for it. It's as unrealistic as the Left's pie-in-the-sky proposals.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Eliminating the payroll tax will only increase the huge deficits that have already been run up due to Covid, and eliminating Social Security is politically impossible; the people wouldn't stand for it. It's as unrealistic as the Left's pie-in-the-sky proposals.
    That is the kind of attitude that got us where we are today.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

That is the kind of attitude that got us where we are today.
    It's being realistic. Social Security is the biggest sacred cow in the budget, and those who think it's going away are just as delusional as the Bernie followers who think money grows on trees.
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's being realistic. Social Security is the biggest sacred cow in the budget, and those who think it's going away are just as delusional as the Bernie followers who think money grows on trees.
    It's being defeatist.

And SS is going to die eventually just because it is unsustainable.

We can also just shift it to the general budget and cut other things for the time being.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And SS is going to die eventually just because it is unsustainable.

We can also just shift it to the general budget and cut other things for the time being.
    Payroll taxes account for 36% of all federal revenue. That means if you eliminate them you have to cut expenditures by 36%, increase income taxes, or create an even bigger deficit. Good luck with that.
    Erwin N. Griswold

Anonymous

Payroll taxes account for 36% of all federal revenue. That means if you eliminate them you have to cut expenditures by 36%, increase income taxes, or create an even bigger deficit. Good luck with that.
    The most reasonable post I've read on RPF in a long time.

We cut that much from other things easily and we can start phasing out SS by means testing it.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment