Progressive challenger Cori Bush upsets longtime incumbent Lacy Clay in Missouri Dem primary

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lac...rimary-hfr-hfr

Progressive challenger Cori Bush defeated longtime incumbent Rep. William Lacy Clay overnight in the high-profile Democratic primary in Missouri's 1st Congressional District -- a race that grabbed national attention as a party fixture and Congressional Black Caucus member battled a younger activist who came up through the Black Lives Matter movement.

Bush's 48.9% to 45.5% victory is yet another win for Justice Democrats, the group that backed the successful primary challenges by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., and educator Jamaal Bowman over powerful Democrat Reps. Joe Crowley, D-N.Y., in 2018 and Eliot Engel, D-N.Y., in June, respectively.

“They counted us out,” Bush said after her Tuesday win. “They called me — I’m just the protester, I’m just the activist with no name, no title and no real money. That’s all they said that I was. But St. Louis showed up today.”

The 10-term Clay was defending a seat that’s been represented by his family for more than half a century. The incumbent succeeded his father – the late Rep. William Clay Sr. – who held the St. Louis-area seat for more than 30 years and was one of the founders of the Congressional Black Caucus.