Thread: RIP Wilford Brimley 1934-2020

Exclamation RIP Wilford Brimley 1934-2020

Wilford Brimley, star of 'Cocoon' and 'The Natural,' dies at 85

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...rce=whatfinger

2 August 2020

LOS ANGELES – Wilford Brimley, who worked his way up from stunt performer to star of film such as "Cocoon" and "The Natural," has died. He was 85.

Brimley's manager Lynda Bensky said the actor died Saturday morning in a Utah hospital. He was on dialysis and had several medical ailments, she said.

The mustached Brimley was a familiar face for a number of roles, often playing gruff characters like his grizzled baseball manager in "The Natural."

Brimley's best-known work was in "Cocoon," in which he was part of a group of seniors who discover an alien pod that rejuvenates them. The 1985 Ron Howard film won two Oscars, including a supporting actor honor for Don Ameche.

Brimley also starred in "Cocoon: The Return," a 1988 sequel.

For years he was pitchman for Quaker Oats and in recent years appeared in a series of diabetes spots that turned him at one point into a social media sensation.

"Wilford Brimley was a man you could trust," Bensky said in a statement. "He said what he meant and he meant what he said. He had a tough exterior and a tender heart. I'm sad that I will no longer get to hear my friend's wonderful stories. He was one of a kind."
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 08-02-2020 at 04:10 AM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    RIP.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Wilford Brimley was a bad-ass. Diabeetus or no diabeetus, it took fellow bad-ass Kurt Russell plus two other guys to take him down ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIUdssOAn0s
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

May he check his blood sugar, and check it often in peace. My favorite was Cocoon for some reason.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Wilford Brimley was a bad-ass. Diabeetus or no diabeetus, it took fellow bad-ass Kurt Russell plus two other guys to take him down ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIUdssOAn0s
    I just wanted to clarify that it's pronounced die-beetis.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.