Thread: United Airlines now planning for bigger pilot layoffs

United Airlines now planning for bigger pilot layoffs

United Airlines is now planning for even deeper furloughs of pilots following the latest weakening of air travel demand due to the coronavirus, a company official said Thursday.

The big US carrier currently is planning for 3,900 pilots to be furloughed, up from 2,250 expected in early July before the latest spike in US coronavirus cases that has led to another deterioration in customer interest.

"Because COVID-19 cases continue, and demand improvement remains very slow, we may need to furlough more pilots in 2020, and in 2021, than originally planned," Bryan Quigley, senior vice president for flight operations, said in a memo to staff.

Quigley said total revenues for the airline are down about 85 percent. The company expects to end the third quarter with a daily cash burn of $25 million per day.

"This is simply not sustainable for us," Quigley said.

United has previously said it does not expect airline travel demand to get above 50 percent of pre-coronavirus levels until a vaccine is found and widely available. The company's chief executive Scott Kirby said last week that he is planning for this outcome until late 2021.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/united-airlin...182432597.html
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe they can learn to code.

They've all been on full pay for months now, thanks to Uncle Sugar.

That's way more than most working schmucks get.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    Maybe they can learn to code.

They've all been on full pay for months now, thanks to Uncle Sugar.

That's way more than most working schmucks get.
    Nope, about half pay.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Danke not gonna like this.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Nope, about half pay.
    All of this interference with market forces is going to result in furloughed pilots being the last group to be trained on how to code.

Then they will be way behind all of the waitresses, valets, cinema workers, and baristas in getting all of the good coding jobs.

All of this interference with market forces is going to result in furloughed pilots being the last group to be trained on how to code.

Then they will be way behind all of the waitresses, valets, cinema workers, and baristas in getting all of the good coding jobs.
    Probably lack the work ethic of a good waitress anyway . I'd just give them a list of the local church food banks and cut them off . Homeless rolls wont be affected , its only 260 per state @ 13k .

Looking like 3000 pilots starting Oct. 1
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Airline industry has gotten a free pass for a $#@!ty product . Those days are over now .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Indy airport in March down 52 percent in fliers from the prior March .Stick a fork in it . Dump yer stock, buy coins from me .

Why did the government stop? Why do we still have Injuns amongst us?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Looking like 3000 pilots starting Oct. 1
    What's a fly-boy capable of doing in the real world?

Maybe government work but the lobotomy is kinda hard on families....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    What's a fly-boy capable of doing in the real world?

Maybe government work but the lobotomy is kinda hard on families....
    FU
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

FU
    I see you are already learning to code.

I see you are already learning to code.
    People don't realize what discipline WRT flying certificates and knowledge it takes to even get interviewed let alone hired by a major airline.

I train yearly. I also fly hundreds of people over the North Pole. With just two engines. Do You have any imagination what my training and skills are if we have a problem?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

They can turn this into a marketing gimmick. It'll be the biggest, best Pilot layoff ever
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    They can turn this into a marketing gimmick. It'll be the biggest, best Pilot layoff ever
    Guys like Tod want to laugh this off as it is a "fly-boy" problem. Well guess what country boy, many of us are military trained.

We want food, you are next.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I left the raisin bran out on the counter for you

Big day tomorrow . Egg sales on Mon

Guys like Tod want to laugh this off as it is a "fly-boy" problem. Well guess what country boy, many of us are military trained.

Don't fret fly-boy, many of us country folk are military trained too........And we know our dirt like the back of our hand.

Most of us will welcome folks who can produce anything.

Folks who come looking to take will be in for a big surprise, even our women and children know our dirt.

Fly boys out here generally run one engine and know the people on whose dirt they land, and they tend to keep their own planes in good order, not things commercial pilots are known for.

War plane or air-taxi skills aren't in high demand 'round these parts.

Maybe take this down-time to learn some useful skills.

Before the plague , say mid march , there were lots of manufacturing places here looking for help . I dunno about now .

Danke I had a couple extra yellow squash left after making my kielbossa kabobs . I left them on the bench on the back porch for you.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Danke I had a couple extra yellow squash left after making my kielbossa kabobs . I left them on the bench on the back porch for you.
    We have an abundance of okra if you're putting together a care package.