Thread: The Book Club - Do We Really Consent to be Governed by Robert Higgs

The Book Club - Do We Really Consent to be Governed by Robert Higgs

"Today we bring you a reading of an article by Robert Higgs..."

Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I spent the bulk of my professional career either in academia or working with nonacademic institutions closely associated with academics. Within these realms I did not have frequent or intimate contact with what might be broadly characterized as global conspiracy theories. Such stuff would have been laughed off the stage in my world.So, it has not been easy for me to recognize how widely such thinking has been incorporated into the beliefs and communications of lay people who self-identify as libertarians or libertarian anarchists. The past six months have displayed this subset of pro-freedom people to me as never before. It has not been a happy discovery.

With sufficient energy and time, one could easily write a critical analysis of the conspiracy libertarians. I won't try to compose a capsule version here. We have all seen the sort of thinking that I'm pondering.

If I could voice only one overall criticism here, however, it would be that I have yet to see such an allegation that is deeply thought out. That is, exactly how, by how many and what kind of participants, acting covertly without discovery, would such schemes have to be carried out? Further, for what purpose? Some conspiracy believers think, for example, that at least some of the bilderbergers, gnomes of Zurich, Rothchilds, New World Oligarchs, or other cabalists are seeking to kill off most of the world's population with toxic vaccines, forced birth control medicines, or some other nefarious means. Exactly how this would benefit the conspirators remains highly problematic. Do people actually think that bringing the world population and its economic activities to a dead stop (literally) would somehow make the richest and most powerful persons on earth better off? On its face it is preposterous and bass-ackwards. But of course conspiracy theorists are never short of fantastical ideas as to how the evil few can simply flip a few switches in their palaces and bring about vast changes in a world of billions of diverse and differently situated actors.
    https://www.facebook.com/robert.higgs.568

Do We Really Consent to be Governed by Robert Higgs
    I would