Thread: All NBA players kneel for national anthem as league resumes play

Post All NBA players kneel for national anthem as league resumes play

All NBA players kneel for national anthem as league resumes play

By Iliana Limón Romero
    Jul 30, 2020

Members of the New Orleans Pelicans and Utah Jazz kneel together during the national anthem before they played in the first game of the NBA restart Thursday at ESPN Wide World of Sports. (Ashley Landis/AP)

All players competing in the first game of the NBA restart took a knee and locked arms during a recording of the national anthem Thursday night at ESPN Wide World of Sports.

The New Orleans Pelicans and Utah Jazz wore Black Lives Matter warm-up shirts and were joined by coaches and game officials, who also knelt for the anthem.

Some players raised fists in the air, while others closed their eyes and bowed their heads.

The league has vowed to make fighting racial injustice the focus of the NBA restart, painting "Black Lives Matter" on every court and giving players the option to have anti-racism phrases displayed on their jerseys.

Before the anthem played, various players spoke without their faces being featured on the TNT broadcast screen, sharing their commitment to fighting police brutality and other forms of racial inequality.

“We will turn pain into progress,” one player vowed. Another added, “Things aren’t going back to normal until things change.”

orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-nba-players-kneel-national-anthem-20200730-qkkvbcpsmze53izzljq7iw4gj4-story.html

Related

President Trump on players kneeling during national anthem: 'I thought we won that battle with the NFL'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...em/3232035001/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Black Lives Do Not Matter any more than any other Life.

Ratings haven't been very good ever since these sports organizations started doing this. It's going to eventually lead to the end of all of them.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Ratings haven't been very good ever since these sports organizations started doing this. It's going to eventually lead to the end of all of them.
    How can professional sports continue with no people in the stands?

All this protest and support is for the wrong reasons. People should be against the way things are because there are riots and vandalism, and looting, taking place. The Black crisis is a making of their own doing. When a person is downtrodden, they evaluate what they need to do to pick themselves up. Supporting deranged groups of extreme emotional liberals is not a patriotic means to greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by DiverseSegregation View Post
    Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Who cares?
    Would you support government handouts to struggling team owners? I think I heard that seats for NFL season holders are hundreds of dollars each. How many seats in a stadium? Are players still getting paid? How long can an owner keep paying those bills without revenue?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Would you support government handouts to struggling team owners? I think I heard that seats for NFL season holders are hundreds of dollars each. How many seats in a stadium? Are players still getting paid? How long can an owner keep paying those bills without revenue?
    Of course I don't support government freebies!

And I'll ask my question AGAIN about sports teams; "Who cares?" Really, who cares if these teams and their fans all shrivel and die? I certainly don't. This is the circus part of "bread and circuses".

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Of course I don't support government freebies!

And I'll ask my question AGAIN about sports teams; "Who cares?" Really, who cares if these teams and their fans all shrivel and die? I certainly don't. This is the circus part of "bread and circuses".
    I don't care if they shrivel up and die. I care if they are being propped up and supported by the taxpayer.

Government stimulus money, "to big to fail" LOL

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Government stimulus money, "to big to fail" LOL
    Seriously do you think they are getting stimulus money? If not where are they getting their revenue?

Seriously do you think they are getting stimulus money? If not where are they getting their revenue?
    Probably through the PPP stimulus program that recently went through.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Probably through the PPP stimulus program that recently went through.
    So you can see why my concern mentioned to Tod Evans was legitimate? Would you want taxpayer money going to protesting professional athletes? I don't care if they shrivel up and go broke. I just don't want them subsidized.
    I was just looking into it a little bit. Most articles were from months ago but they indicated that the Pro Teams were not taking PPP money. I am curious how they can afford to keep going with no people in attendance.
    Last edited by DiverseSegregation; 09-15-2020 at 01:56 PM.

So you can see why my concern mentioned to Tod Evans was legitimate? Would you want taxpayer money going to protesting professional athletes? I don't care if they shrivel up and go broke. I just don't want them subsidized.
    I was just looking into it a little bit. Most articles were from months ago but they indicated that the Pro Teams were not taking PPP money. I am curious how they can afford to keep going with no people in attendance.
    idk, marketing merchandise? I wondered how the NBA players & Hollywood actors/actresses got Covid tested much sooner than the public.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    The league has vowed to make fighting racial injustice the focus of the NBA...
    Here I always thought that getting to the finals and winning a championship was supposed to be the focus.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dary View Post
    Here I always thought that getting to the finals and winning a championship was supposed to be the focus.
    Usually thats the case, but this season and going into next season is going to be a bit different.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I don't understand what they are protesting.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post
    I don't understand what they are protesting.
    They are protesting the injustices of black people getting killed by police.

Calvin Coolidge