Thread: New York Supreme Court Orders Release of NYC Gun Owners’ Private Info

Exclamation New York Supreme Court Orders Release of NYC Gun Owners’ Private Info

New York Supreme Court Orders Release of NYC Gun Owners’ Private Info

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...s-private-info

Written by Michael Tennant Tuesday, 28 July 2020

The New York Supreme Court last week ordered the New York City Police Department (NYPD) to provide a newspaper with a list of the names, ZIP codes, and license categories of all individuals in the city who obtained firearms licenses in 2018.

The New York Daily News — which, according to Justice Arthur Engoron’s opinion, “frequently covers gun-related political and policing issues” — has been seeking information about city gun licensees since 2018. Under the Empire State’s Freedom of Information Law (FOIL), the paper first requested the names and license types for all licenses issued between 2014 and 2017. The NYPD denied the request on various grounds, including that it “would constitute an unwarranted invasion of privacy” and that compliance “would be burdensome,” recounted Engoron.

Another hurdle the NYPD had to overcome was New York’s Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement (SAFE) Act of 2013, which Governor Andrew Cuomo touted as the toughest gun-control law in the nation at the time. The act allows firearms licensees to request that their information not be made public, though their requests may be denied unless they meet certain specific criteria. “The SAFE act,” noted Engoron, “requires disclosure of the names and addresses of gun licensees unless they have applied for and been granted an exemption under the statute.” The NYPD’s database for pre-2018 gun licenses did not indicate which licensees had been granted an exemption, so the department could have faced legal challenges had it chosen to comply with the Daily News’ request.

However, the NYPD implemented a new computerized licensing system in 2018 that does keep track of which applicants obtained exemptions. The Daily News thus asked for the names, ZIP codes, and license categories of all individuals who were granted gun licenses that year.

Again the NYPD balked, dragging its feet and producing only limited and incomplete records for the newspaper. The department seems to have been looking out for the interests of the people it serves because, according to Engoron, it “refused to disclose the names and zip codes of the licensees who requested but were denied an exemption in 2018, arguing that this information is confidential,” “that disclosure would endanger the life and safety of any person,” and that it “would constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.”

After the Daily News appealed this decision, the NYPD released the list of licensees who were denied SAFE exemptions but did not include their license categories. The NYPD also refused to provide information about 2018 license renewals or licenses granted to retired public employees.

Still not getting what it wanted, the Daily News took the matter to court. On July 20, Engoron, citing the SAFE Act, sided mostly with the newspaper. He ordered the NYPD to provide the Daily News with “the name, zip code, and license category of all those to whom it granted a new or renewal license during Calendar Year 2018,” including those “who applied prior to Calendar Year 2018 but were granted a license during that year.” He did allow the NYPD to withhold the names of licensed former public employees but still required the department to release their ZIP codes and license categories.

Engoron dismissed the NYPD’s argument that fulfilling the Daily News’ request would be “unreasonably difficult,” writing that such a contention “would allow respondent to fail to produce anything.” He also disagreed with the NYPD that the case was moot since the requested records exist, can be obtained, and have not yet been provided to the paper.

Despite its clear basis in New York law, Engoron’s decision is troubling. As Townhall’s Beth Baumann observed, it’s fine for a newspaper to be able to obtain information about geographical trends in firearms purchases and use — information for which it might have a legitimate purpose — but it is not so good for it to be able to find out who owns them and where they live.

Even more troubling is the fact that the government gets to decide who is allowed to own guns and whether or not he may keep such information private. “This case right here,” Baumann avers, “is what gun owners have been worried about: the ability to create a registry, which could eventually lead to confiscation.”
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fill out your CCW, gun reg forms at the store, accurately. Don’t forget to keep your card with you at all times. It is the right thing to do.

If you have a concealed carry permit or license and want to know which state you can carry in, use the first map under “States That Honor My Permit(s)” here:

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

This is a much better approach and will gradually lead to freedom/liberty, than defending and protecting the 2nd and 4th Amendments.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

I'd wager someone would like a list of the names and addresses of every person who is holding more than 5 physical ounces of gold at their home. Freedom of information and all that.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Fill out your CCW, gun reg forms at the store, accurately. Don’t forget to keep your card with you at all times. It is the right thing to do.

If you have a concealed carry permit or license and want to know which state you can carry in, use the first map under “States That Honor My Permit(s)” here:

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

This is a much better approach and will gradually lead to freedom/liberty, than defending and protecting the 2nd and 4th Amendments.

It took me a minute to see the sarcasm thing. I was thoroughly confused there for that minute.
    "The Patriarch"

Does anyone remember a worse year than this one? I would be interested to hear about it.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Does anyone remember a worse year than this one? I would be interested to hear about it.
    1775?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I'd wager someone would like a list of the names and addresses of every person who is holding more than 5 physical ounces of gold at their home. Freedom of information and all that.
    just in case somebody may have missed it...the purpose is to "doxx" gun owners...to have the Jacobin mob show up outside their home.

There has been worse...todays riots for instance...mostly $#@! white soyboys and lesbians, the LA riots were much worse, and the ghetto riots of the 60s were worse than that.

I think what makes these times worse, is the sense of utter futility in trying to push back against any of the crazy and the loneliness of it all.

Modern life has done a very good job of atomizing the population, of disconnecting them from everything, their past, history, family, faith...so that now the time has come to defend those things, there is nobody left.

That said however...yah...2020 suck balls.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    1775?
    You remember that year?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    There has been worse...todays riots for instance...mostly $#@! white soyboys and lesbians, the LA riots were much worse, and the ghetto riots of the 60s were worse than that.

I think what makes these times worse, is the sense of utter futility in trying to push back against any of the crazy and the loneliness of it all.

Modern life has done a very good job of atomizing the population, of disconnecting them from everything, their past, history, family, faith...so that now the time has come to defend those things, there is nobody left.

That said however...yah...2020 suck balls.
    I was there for all of that. None of it gave me the sense of impending doom this year has.
    "The Patriarch"

just in case somebody may have missed it...the purpose is to "doxx" gun owners...to have the Jacobin mob show up outside their home.
    This can't be repeated enough.
    "The Patriarch"

You remember that year?
    LOL I have generational memory.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Oh, and that AI, and Tracking via vax, that only a few are worried about? It's nothing more than a "convenience" thing, so don't let it get to you.

/sarc

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    1775?
    Nope. Anyone from 1775 who got pissed off enough to violently revolt over what was going down back then would take one look at how things stand in 2020 and then just stroke out from apoplectic rage ...

Stamp Acts? Townshend Acts? Tea Acts? It is to laugh ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Nope. Anyone from 1775 who got pissed off enough to violently revolt over what was going down back then would take one look at how things stand in 2020 and then just stroke out from apoplectic rage ...

Stamp Acts? Townshend Acts? Tea Acts? It is to laugh ...

Once that private information gets released, tons of Marxists will be showing up to their doors. This is New York's attempt at trying to make gun owners defending their property look bad.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Via food, water, air, and vax men have no testosterone. Frustrating dealing with feminine men

I was there for all of that. None of it gave me the sense of impending doom this year has.
    @Origanalist

Expand on that some...what do you see on the horizon...what is giving you that sense of foreboding?

I feel that way all the damn time, so it's hard for me to get a read on it.

@Origanalist

Expand on that some...what do you see on the horizon...what is giving you that sense of foreboding?

I feel that way all the damn time, so it's hard for me to get a read on it.
    Some of it is just the daily visual reminder of what I already knew, that we are now a nation of sheep. Yes I'm talking about masks. That and the absurd amount of debt being wracked up plus I'm seeing vaccines becoming defacto mandatory which will be another major nuisance as I will not comply with that either. The $#@!ing world will now be run by a bunch of Karen's and it's getting very hard to avoid them.
    "The Patriarch"

Some of it is just the daily visual reminder of what I already knew, that we are now a nation of sheep. Yes I'm talking about masks. That and the absurd amount of debt being wracked up plus I'm seeing vaccines becoming defacto mandatory which will be another major nuisance as I will not comply with that either. The $#@!ing world will now be run by a bunch of Karen's and it's getting very hard to avoid them.
    Spot on...I got nothing to rebut any of it.

This will require a bloody fight and separation, and nobody has the stomach for it.

This will require a bloody fight and separation, and nobody has the stomach for it.
    Plant the Seeds, Starve the State.
    Last edited by PAF; 07-29-2020 at 09:35 PM.

I was thinking dildos.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Throw in a full and complete list of all ANTIFA affiliates, chances are a few big name celebrities and politicians will come up too. College professors are essentially academic wing of ANTIFA.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Plant the Seeds, Starve the State.

The pessimism of some folks is, IMO, unwarranted. Caution? Certainly. But we're actually in a position to win this thing once and for all if we act instead of argue and complain. It remains to be seen if the so-called liberty movement will step up. Some are, which is encouraging. Not much action around here yet tho.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I'm not so sure about that. We will be outnumbered, for sure.
    "The Patriarch"

I'm not so sure about that. We will be outnumbered, for sure.
    No doubt...with very little guarantee of success.

Remember what Chesty Puller was reported to have said when he found himself surrounded by Asian Marxists?

"Well, good...that simplifies things...attack in every direction!