Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuccinelli says Rand's comments "uninformed" about federal police in Portland

Thumbs down Cuccinelli says Rand's comments "uninformed" about federal police in Portland

I knew he was a swamp creature from the moment I met him. I asked him about state nullification of federal laws and he said 'no such thing'

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dhs-cuccinelli-rand-paul-portland-riots
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I remember when that guy was being pushed here as a great libertine hope.

It didn't take long for him to be revealed as a neo-con wolf disguised as a douchbag.

(1/x) I am disappointed in this uninformed tweet by a Senator who I respect. The truisms mixed with errors are rife. How many ways is this wrong? Let me count the ways: (1) It overlooks the fact that local law enforcement in Portland is not “handling these situations”

these situations” include attacks on federal law enforcement OFFICERS (not troops) and federal facilities; (2) it overlooks @DHSgov
    ’s statutory responsibility to protect the federal facilities and personnel under violent attack; (3) did I mention there are no “troops”?

3/x) (4) the agents in the picture are not “unidentified”. They verbally identified themselves to the subject when they approached him, AND they have identifying insignia on all 4 sides - “Police” in front and back, & Customs Border Protection & DHS on their left & rt shoulders;

(4/x) (5) federal agents are not “rounding people up at will.” This is an incredibly offensive assertion. It suggests @DHSgov
    officers randomly picked this subject up - that’s ridiculous. They identified themselves 3 blocks away to the subject, at which point he fled on foot...

(5/x) ... and the officers pursued him until he stopped running at the federal courthouse. The officers talked to this particular individual because they thought he matched the description of a person who had assaulted a law enforcement officer about an hour before ...

(6/x) ... the picture in the tweet. @DHSgov
    , #FPS , @CBP
    , & @ICEgov
    officers and agents are preserving liberty (and life and property) in Portland. I would have been happy to explain that to Sen. @RandPaul
    if he had asked.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................
    The left is not going to like Rand Paul but he could lose support from the right.

Cuccinelli: Stormtroopers good, m'kay.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Protesters went criminal & beyond.

Love how Rand sticks up for citizens rights but Portland mob jumped over many legal lines

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post

It didn't take long for him to be revealed as a neo-con wolf disguised as a douchbag.
    Admittedly fell for the douche in 2012 when he had Gadsden flags at all his events.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Protesters went criminal & beyond.

Love how Rand sticks up for citizens rights but Portland mob jumped over many legal lines
    Yeah this was a bit disappointing. This is the same mob that had being rioting for 50 days and is no longer a protest.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Yeah this was a bit disappointing. This is the same mob that had being rioting for 50 days and is no longer a protest.
    Thats why I prefer ron paul over rand. Rand disappoints me sometimes. But nobody is perfect.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand is speaking accurately, but he has NOT denied that what they're doing now has been legalized in recent years, and by the very same people who are crying about it now! I remember when they were voting on the legislation during the Obama administration. Democrats supported militarizing the police under Obama, because he was "their" guy and they wanted all the free crap that came with it! Senator Paul warned 'em all!

See Rand's piece in Reason (7.21.2020 6:30 PM):
    Rand Paul: It's Time To Demilitarize the Police http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ize-the-Police
    https://reason.com/2020/07/21/rand-p...ize-the-police

For what it's worth, here's how Trump's press secretary Kayleigh McEnany describes it:
    White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany cited 40 U.S. Code 1315 as evidence Tuesday that the Department of Homeland Security is operating within its lawful jurisdiction in Portland, Oregon.

McEnany told ABC’s Jon Karl at Tuesday’s briefing that 1315 “gives DHS the ability to deputize officers in any department or agency, like ICE, Customs and Border Patrol and Secret Service as quote ‘officers and agents.'”

Karl had asked, “Where in the Constitution does the president derive the authority to send federal law enforcement officers to the streets of American cities against the will of the elected officials in those cities?”

“They can be deputized for the duty, in connection to the protection of property owned or occupied by the federal government and persons on that property,” she continued. “When a federal courthouse is being lit on fire and commercial fireworks being shot at it, being shot at the officers I think that falls pretty well within the limits of 40 U.S. Code 1315.”

Karl asked McEnany in a followup question if President Donald Trump sees any “limitations to that power” and if “That’s a matter of protecting federal property, how far does that power extend to the streets of Portland. What are the limitations of that, the authority to protect it?”

“Under the law we believe they can conduct investigations of crimes committed against federal property or federal officers,” McEnany responded. “In the case where you have someone shooting off a commercial grade firework and then running across the street, we don’t believe that extends past the jurisdiction.”

DHS told the Daily Caller last week that Border Patrol agents who detained individuals in Portland not actively engaged in the protests were doing so to investigate links to assaults on law enforcement officials and vandalism of federal property.

“While the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) respects every American’s right to protest peacefully, violence and civil unrest will not be tolerated,” CBP wrote in a statement. “Violent anarchists have organized events in Portland over the last several weeks with willful intent to damage and destroy federal property, as well as injure federal officers and agents. These criminal actions will not be tolerated.”

Acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf has also noted that protesters specifically targeted law enforcement officers with lasers and frozen water bottles ahead of his travel to Oregon.

“Let’s get this right. ‘Protestors’ imply they were peacefully exercising their 1st amendment rights,” he tweeted on Friday. “Instead, DHS officers were assaulted with lasers and frozen water bottles from violent criminals attempting to tear down federal property. 2 officers were injured. Facts matter.”

https://dailycaller.com/2020/07/21/w...rtland-oregon/

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Admittedly fell for the douche in 2012 when he had Gadsden flags at all his events.
    Given the 2012 landscape. He was pretty good back then. No "falling." He was about as limited government as you get at that level, admittedly with many flaws. He never claimed to be a libertarian. I supported him then, no regrets.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Given the 2012 landscape. He was pretty good back then. No "falling." He was about as limited government as you get at that level, admittedly with many flaws. He never claimed to be a libertarian. I supported him then, no regrets.
    I remember Cuccinelli supporting Ron Paul during his campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    Thats why I prefer ron paul over rand. Rand disappoints me sometimes. But nobody is perfect.
    Me to i saw what Ron wrote about Free Hong Kong and his right about HK HK indeed deserves freedom but in a right way. After that happens i dont think China can do much about it.

Its so disappointing seeing that NBA and other sports have being avoiding any talk of HK while they talk about BLM as a human right issue?

I didn't think my old thread was bump worthy, but for any newcomers who might be wondering who Cuccinelli is: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...for-Cuccinelli
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

With a face like his, it's pretty easy to tell hes a slimeball.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post

I know right? What a bum he turned out to be. But if anyone is still surprised that the standard-bearers put up for our consumption aren't controlled opposition (or at the very least, quickly compromised by the Beltway lifestyle) then they're not paying attention. The sad fact is that even if, at one time, someone was a libertarian-minded person, handing him/her a $250,000 salary and all the perks of Beltway life (like lavish parties hosted by Jarvanka...lookin' at you Mike Lee), will corrupt them eventually.

There's a reason that Albert Pike's opening theme in 'Morals and Dogma' is "Everyone wants to be part of the elect." It's mostly a truism that show that anyone can be turned into a foot soldier of bigger agendas.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Rand is speaking accurately, but he has NOT denied that what they're doing now has been legalized in recent years, and by the very same people who are crying about it now! I remember when they were voting on the legislation during the Obama administration. Democrats supported militarizing the police under Obama, because he was "their" guy and they wanted all the free crap that came with it! Senator Paul warned 'em all!

See Rand's piece in Reason (7.21.2020 6:30 PM):
    Rand Paul: It's Time To Demilitarize the Police http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ize-the-Police
    https://reason.com/2020/07/21/rand-p...ize-the-police
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting.

This whole federal police force in Portland has really split the Ron Paul remnant in terms of support. I'm still not sure what to think.... I kind of see both sides. Local states should handle rioting and protests but what happens when they fail to do so? Is the fact that these agents are grabbing people without identifying themselves, having no insignia's, and offering no explanation for their actions in some cases a mitigating or exacerbatory factor? Not really sure I can make heads or tails of this whole situation.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

This can be argued both ways. It is always ridiculous when people get worked up one way or another on these marginal topics.

That said, government's role is to protect people. If the federal government passed laws banning segregation in public places, states can't nullify those laws. Being a state isn't a license for tyranny. It is the federal government's job to make sure rights are protected if the state isn't doing the job. Same goes for rioting. If you own laundromat and a local government prevents you from defending the business and the cops are told to stand down, the federal government has a duty to step in protect the rights of the business owner. It is the reason government exists.

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    Interesting.

This whole federal police force in Portland has really split the Ron Paul remnant in terms of support. I'm still not sure what to think.... I kind of see both sides. Local states should handle rioting and protests but what happens when they fail to do so? Is the fact that these agents are grabbing people without identifying themselves, having no insignia's, and offering no explanation for their actions in some cases a mitigating or exacerbatory factor? Not really sure I can make heads or tails of this whole situation.
    Right, though they didn't just fail, they refused to protect their constituents, and on top, incentivized rioters/looters with public statements of support. Masking the violent deeds as peaceful. This is not just incompetence, they support the communist revolution or at least a version of it to maintain violence, energize the leftist basae, keep the economy shutdown to have a shot at the election.

There is no question that the federal presence is not only needed but has the right to be there to enforce federal laws.

But that isn't where the problem is as most Americans WANT law and order.

The specific problem is "unidentifiable officers arresting 1 rioter". Are they really unidentifiable? Did anybody actually try asking DHS which officers conducted the arrest and if they read miranda rights? Is the ANTIFA arrestee being treated equally under the law? Nobody bothered any of this.

So all this talk about stormtroopers and secret police (from the left and leftarians) is retarded. If any of you bought into it, your reasoning is very low quality.
    Last edited by eleganz; 07-22-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    Interesting.

I've weighed both sides, and I think I'm gonna come down on the side of the Weimar Republic against the Nazi street thugs, and let the chips fall where they may.

I see a ton of parallels between what's going in these liberal hellholes and what happened in Germany in the 1930s.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Kristallnacht or the Night of Broken Glass, also called the November Pogrom, was a pogrom against Jews carried out by SA paramilitary forces and civilians throughout Nazi Germany on 9–10 November 1938. The German authorities looked on without intervening.
    Basically that's what's been happening in these cities. Except they're not beating up Jews, they're just beating up anyone who doesn't agree with them. If the local police do actually arrest anyone for assault or destruction of property, the liberal city bureaucrats immediately set them free again, as long as they continue to intimidate political opponents.

On top of that, the media has their back. You'd think these "protestors" were just flower girls at a wedding or something, according to MSNBC, CBS, CNN, and all the others. The fact that you think the officers don't have insignias or other identification on their uniforms is the media's doing. Their patches with badge numbers are located on their left shoulder. They don't have to read you your rights unless you are being interrogated. And frankly I don't blame them for not saying anything at all when they "snatch people up" because most of the local cops just get into an endless verbal loop with these idiots. It's not like they don't know that what they're doing is criminal, so there's honestly not much to talk about. They're not being arrested for their political beliefs. They're being arrested for arson, vandalism, and assault totaling millions of dollars worth of damage over the past several weeks.

I see the spin the media puts on it, and how these thugs are essentially untouchable, and how they are being catered to by everyone on the left with an election just months away. How HEAVILY the narrative is weighted in their favor. I take all of that into consideration, and I just can't get upset about this. The only saving grace is that these rioters, at the moment, are unorganized (at least compared to the Nazi brownshirts), and I'm hoping the lawsuit against BLM is successful and shuts it down because it would be the perfect means of achieving the organization they need to put some political force behind it.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 07-22-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    (1/x) I am disappointed in this uninformed tweet by a Senator who I respect. The truisms mixed with errors are rife. How many ways is this wrong? Let me count the ways: (1) It overlooks the fact that local law enforcement in Portland is not “handling these situations”

these situations” include attacks on federal law enforcement OFFICERS (not troops) and federal facilities; (2) it overlooks @DHSgov
    ’s statutory responsibility to protect the federal facilities and personnel under violent attack; (3) did I mention there are no “troops”?

3/x) (4) the agents in the picture are not “unidentified”. They verbally identified themselves to the subject when they approached him, AND they have identifying insignia on all 4 sides - “Police” in front and back, & Customs Border Protection & DHS on their left & rt shoulders;

(4/x) (5) federal agents are not “rounding people up at will.” This is an incredibly offensive assertion. It suggests @DHSgov
    officers randomly picked this subject up - that’s ridiculous. They identified themselves 3 blocks away to the subject, at which point he fled on foot...

(5/x) ... and the officers pursued him until he stopped running at the federal courthouse. The officers talked to this particular individual because they thought he matched the description of a person who had assaulted a law enforcement officer about an hour before ...

(6/x) ... the picture in the tweet. @DHSgov
    , #FPS , @CBP
    , & @ICEgov
    officers and agents are preserving liberty (and life and property) in Portland. I would have been happy to explain that to Sen. @RandPaul
    if he had asked.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................
    The left is not going to like Rand Paul but he could lose support from the right.
    Cuccinelli is right here and Rand is wrong.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

What a bunch of snowflakes. A handful of people drag some fencing and scooters (!!) to block a giant steel door and spray paint some graffiti on the fortress-like building and suddenly it's characterized as an existential attack on a federal building, as if it's Oklahoma City all over again.

How dare they not worship at the federal shrine??!?!

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    What a bunch of snowflakes. A handful of people drag some fencing and scooters (!!) to block a giant steel door and spray paint some graffiti on the fortress-like building and suddenly it's characterized as an existential attack on a federal building, as if it's Oklahoma City all over again.

You're out of touch with reality.

They've been trying to burn the court house down and from what we've seen repeatedly now, they successfully burn things down when there is no opposition holding them back.

Its very simple. You either support communists burning down our country, or you don't.

Oh and fire....at the courthouse...not just scooters and graffiti like you claim. Again, out of touch with reality.

https://twitter.com/mrandyngo/status...258628097?s=21
    Last edited by eleganz; 07-23-2020 at 01:39 AM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

They set it on fire, physically attacked federal agents with weapons and blinded (perhaps permanently) some with lasers.

Get your AntiFa lies out of here.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    They've been trying to burn the court house down and from what we've seen repeatedly now, they successfully burn things down when there is no opposition holding them back.

Its very simple. You either support communists burning down our country, or you don't.
    It's very simple, he does.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Like I said, just flower girls at a wedding I guess.

Riddle me this:

When was the last time you saw conservatives punching random people just walking down the street?

Have you ever seen one harass people at a protest and them mob up on them, trying to prevent them from leaving until they are so fearful of their safety they draw a gun and fire? (and then be charged by zealous liberal DAs)

Thrown rocks at a hospital? At cars passing by?

Block an ambulance from getting through to try to save a life?

I'm guessing pretty rarely. Even when democrats have power, conservatives don't act like hoodlums.

The big problem is that there is political motivation for letting them get away with this. If you or I did these things (we wouldn't), they would burn us at the stake. But look what they're doing to the St. Louis couple, for doing what was well within their rights. That's what makes this more alarming than just overgrown kids being silly. This has political support, and unequal application of the law. And while a lot of people here think tyranny is going to start at the top and work its way down, don't forget to keep your eye on the back door.

If this is the way they act when they are out-of-power, what moral qualms do you honestly think they will have about using the full might of a police state in all its glory when they take power? They won't have any. Having gotten away with violence and destruction for so long, it would only seem natural.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 07-23-2020 at 05:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

They set it on fire, physically attacked federal agents with weapons and blinded (perhaps permanently) some with lasers.

Get your AntiFa lies out of here.
    My apologies for daring to not genuflect appropriately over alleged minor damage to a concrete and steel fortress federal building and not saying a heartfelt prayer over a minor disruption to federal government operations. Are the officers ok? That's what matters, of course. I shall deduct 5 social credit points from myself for my inappropriate and unapproved thoughts. :bows: Under his eye and may the Lord open.

My apologies for daring to not genuflect appropriately over alleged minor damage to a concrete and steel fortress federal building and not saying a heartfelt prayer over a minor disruption to federal government operations. Are the officers ok? That's what matters, of course. I shall deduct 5 social credit points from myself for my inappropriate and unapproved thoughts. :bows: Under his eye and may the Lord open.
    AntiFa detected.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Cooch, like others, are right on some things and wrong on others. Doesn't mean he's a swamp creature. He's been a very solid criminal justice reform advocate.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

AntiFa detected.
    Well, yes, I am pretty much against fascism. You aren't?

I hope I don't have to point out the obvious irony/dissonance of engaging in central federal government worship while simultaneously decrying communism, which requires central federal government worship.
    Last edited by devil21; 07-24-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast