Thread: Rand Paul: 'No place' for feds 'rounding people up at will' in Portland

Rand Paul: 'No place' for feds 'rounding people up at will' in Portland

Rand Paul: 'No place' for feds 'rounding people up at will' in Portland

BY ZACK BUDRYK
    07/20/20

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Monday spoke out against federal officers “rounding people up at will” in Portland, Ore., saying the handling of unrest there should be left to local law enforcement.

“We cannot give up liberty for security. Local law enforcement can and should be handling these situations in our cities but there is no place for federal troops or unidentified federal agents rounding people up at will,” Paul tweeted Monday.

The senator linked to a post on the conservative blog HotAir about reports of protesters in Portland being detained by officers in unmarked vans. The link criticizes the federal officers' presence as attempting to convey "to vandals, protesters, whoever, that there’ll be no accountability for anything these guys end up doing to them."

The Department of Homeland Security has deployed the forces to the city over the objections of local and state officials, with both President Trump and Deputy Homeland Security Secretary Ken Cuccinelli saying they could take similar steps in other U.S. cities in coming weeks.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...ll-in-portland

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good for Rand. Tyranny is tyranny regardless of whose "guy" is implimenting it.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I hope Rand immediately writes up a bill repealing the Patriot Act which made this action possible.
    Will be so interesting to see how the rest of congress responds.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    I hope Rand immediately writes up a bill repealing the Patriot Act which made this action possible.
    Lol. That would be brilliant!

Rand is wrong, when the local government refuses to protect the rights, property and lives of their citizens the feds have every right and duty to step in.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

When life gives you lemons you should squeeze them and make your enemy drink the juice.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The main Constitutional issue is that this is not the jurisdiction of a Federal Police, it is a state/local issue. Federal Police in cities is very bad. That is the major issue.

Some may say that they are defending a Federal building. Still not their job unless they stay in the building or are right on the front steps. And as Thomas Massie said, why are there Federal Buildings there anyway?
    One caveat to standing around the building. If rioters attack or throw things, they would have every right to hot pursuit of the criminals. It's a practicality.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Portland is rotting.... so let it rot
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I really don't want to see cities ruined because of local level leadership. This happened to Michigan and it never recovered. They don't learn their lesson. You dont sit back while your neighbor commits slow suicide. You try to help them. I dont agree with Rand on this issue.

“We cannot give up liberty for security. Local law enforcement can and should be handling these situations in our cities but there is no place for federal troops or unidentified federal agents rounding people up at will,” Paul tweeted Monday.
    Well sure, but they're not. Or the ones above their pay grades aren't allowing them to do so.

rand
    your CONSTITUENTS need you.
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Since local and state government swear to oaths - is there no legal framework (other than waiting to vote them out) for dealing with these very unusual and extremely damaging circumstances?

If they are refusing to protect their own citizens, their property and any taxpayer funded public properties - at what point can the officials who are siding with the rioters, be declared an enemy and removed from office so local law enforcement can take control? And if local law enforcement still refuses to, or can't, take control - is there not some point where the feds should step in to protect the innocent citizens who are suffering within and around the riot zone?
    Last edited by Valli6; 07-21-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Theoretically, I can understand the outrage expressed by Rand. However, I can't help but just shrug indifferently when bad things happen to bad people.

Two gangs of thieves, looters and murderers battling over power is of no interest to me.

I also am indifferent to any peaceful protesters caught in the middle. If you want to avoid fleas, don't lie down with dogs.
    Last edited by familydog; 07-21-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    ///
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    When life gives you lemons you should squeeze them and make your enemy drink the juice.
    When the MIC gives you Donnell Lemon Trump, RESIST drinking the Kool-Aid.

Last edited by RonZeplin; 07-21-2020 at 11:19 AM.
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    ///
    Ordinarily a good point, but what about when your enemy is actively oppressing citizens and destroying their property without compunction? And they're doing it with the aid of elected officials who had previously sworn to protect those citizens?

I feel like we're missing something in this equation.

Instead of using their power to protect all citizens, elected officials are using it to protect the violent ones, while ignoring the un-involved ones (who I would guess are the majority that live/work there?) and who have been deprived of their liberties by the occupation of a violent mob.

Destroying a city is not protesting or expressing free speech - it's something only an enemy does. At what point shall the invaders be recognized as "enemies"... and attacked? Face it, if they refuse to stop their violence, what choice exists other than attacking and physically removing them... and no, it wont be pretty!

Unfortunately, there are evil people who want this to reach a point where some people are shot and killed - because they honestly don't care about peoples' lives, just the martyrdom their deaths can bring to their political propaganda. Consider the words of that former BLM protestor - who said democrats are setting up young blacks to get slaughtered for them (his video is in a thread somewhere on this forum).

Not sure the founders could've envisioned something like this ever being permitted to happen and reach this point. It's way too abnormal for them to have anticipated happening in a country created by extremely intelligent men.
    Last edited by Valli6; 07-21-2020 at 12:59 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post
    When the MIC gives you Donnell Lemon Trump, RESIST drinking the Kool-Aid.

This is what RonZ is supporting:

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    ///
    Arresting criminals is not oppression.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Rand is wrong, when the local government refuses to protect the rights, property and lives of their citizens the feds have every right and duty to step in.
    But only after Trump declares a group to be insurrectionists or terrorists. Trump said he was going to declare ANTIFA a terrorist organization almost 2 months ago, but hasn't officially done it yet. Federal troops can't be making these decisions on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by revgen View Post
    But only after Trump declares a group to be insurrectionists or terrorists. Trump said he was going to declare ANTIFA a terrorist organization almost 2 months ago, but hasn't officially done it yet. Federal troops can't be making these decisions on their own.
    This is federal law enforcement making arrests for crimes not federal troops putting down an insurrection.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This is what RonZ is supporting:

No one needs YOU to tell me what I support. Your wild shot in the dark guess, is entirely wrong once again.

How do you manage to dream up the sheer volume of BS that you post, you must have a team of woke millennial Young Republicans helping you?

No one needs YOU to tell me what I support. Your wild shot in the dark guess, is entirely wrong once again.

How do you manage to dream up the sheer volume of BS that you post, you must have a team of woke millennial Young Republicans helping you?
    That IS what you are supporting right here in this thread, that is a flag used by the rioters you are supporting here and elsewhere and that is the symbology in the post I replied to, the clenched fist is a communist symbol and everyone knows it.

Your attempts to blatantly lie about who and what you support after openly supporting them are pathetic.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Your attempts to blatantly lie about who and what you support after openly supporting them are pathetic.
    Your support for Donnell & his flag speaks for itself.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Your support for Donnell & his flag speaks for itself.

His record rolling back their agenda speaks for itself, meanwhile I don't go around posting that flag like it was a good thing or supporting their agenda.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

This is federal law enforcement making arrests for crimes not federal troops putting down an insurrection.
    My mistake. I thought this was about the rioters breaching the courthouse today.

Quote Originally Posted by revgen View Post
    Yes, and that would give us a succinct definition for whats happening. They aren’t just stealing and committing arson - they’re displacing the citizens and taking their property. Are they seceding from the United States?
    I’m not convinced it’s not an insurrection.
    Last edited by Valli6; 07-21-2020 at 07:48 PM.

Yes, and that would give us a succinct definition for whats happening. They aren’t just stealing and committing arson - they’re displacing the citizens and taking their property. Are they suceeding from the United States?

I’m not convinced it’s not an insurrection.
    I'm not either but until Trump declares it one he can't use troops to put it down, that's why he is using federal law enforcement right now.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment