Thread: OK - or unsafe - to post tweets w/video from someone you know nothing about?

OK - or unsafe - to post tweets w/video from someone you know nothing about?

Occasionally, I come across video, screenshots or photos I'd consider posting, but which seem only available from some stranger's tweet.

I have wondered if there's any downside to posting such tweets here. I don't have a twitter account myself and I have limited technical knowledge when it comes to understanding what information gets traded digitally when you link to a tweet, website, or youtube video. (Who hears the "ping-backs"?) I'm mostly concerned about guilt-by-association attacks that might be brought down on the forum or it's members.

Are there real risks one should expect when linking to a stranger's social media account? Are there reasons this should be avoided?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When you access twitter and other social media they use trackers to identify you based on your metadata. You can block the trackers some of the time but their algorithms are so good they can still normally find you unless you are also behind a vpn. People with state level resources can usually access vpn logs because the services that do not comply with law enforcement get shut down. Some network providers are good at skating the line but its normally not profitable because the government contracted services get the lions share of the market and can underprice the ones that that don't. Websites have legal protections from stuff submitted by other people and have to moderate it to keep this protection. People who post stuff online can be doxxed and cancelled but thats their choice for posting stuff online.

I use Safari as my browser and dump all my cookies frequently - many times a day. i.e. after I've just made an online purchase, or just checked my email, or after I've visited a site I have a bad feeling about.

Does that not protect me?

I've always thought of dumping cookies as a way of making the trail go cold - like when bloodhounds lose the scent of the prisoner they're tracking. Can they pick up my trail later and resume spying?

Of course, constantly dumping my cookies/history, means I am also constantly re-signing-in to any websites I actually choose to interact with. I wish there was a setting which allowed me to retain a list of cookies to the sites I choose, while allowing me to continually dump everything else. In the past, Safari had a cumbersome way of doing this - It involved going through all your cookies and selecting which you wanted to keep and which you wanted to delete. This involved a lot of guesswork and was very time-consuming. The function disappeared altogether after one of the updates.

(By the way, I've noticed that apple no longer does the frequent [computer] updates like they always used to. I had always done all my updates manually - that is - I would frequently check to see if new updates were out, and then download and install them myself. Mac users who have always had their preferences set to do automatic updates "in the background" [probably most]- will not have noticed this change. Not sure when this started but it's probably been close to a year if not longer. What is that about?)

As far as I can tell, my "VPN service" is the wi-fi network set up within my own home. Only I know the password, so only household members can use my wi-fi network.

Anyway, say I post someone's tweet and that person turns out to be a lunatic - does digital information get sent to that person which could possibly cause them to come here and take some retaliatory action? Or is it only certain employees of internet service providers, social media trackers and/or nosey government people who can study that information?

Anybody have any clues?
    Last edited by Valli6; 07-13-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    I use Safari as my browser and dump all my cookies frequently - many times a day. i.e. after I've just made an online purchase, or just checked my email, or after I've visited a site I have a bad feeling about.

Does that not protect me?

Of course, constantly dumping my cookies/history, means I am also constantly re-signing-in to any websites I actually choose to interact with. I wish there was a setting which allowed me to retain a list of cookies to the sites I choose, while allowing me to continually dump everything else. In the past, Safari had a cumbersome way of doing this - It involved going through all your cookies and selecting which you wanted to keep and which you wanted to delete. This involved a lot of guesswork and was very time-consuming. The function disappeared altogether after one of the updates.

(By the way, I've noticed that apple no longer does the frequent [computer] updates like they always used to. I had always done all my updates manually - that is - I would frequently check to see if new updates were out, and then download and install them myself. Mac users who have always had their preferences set to do automatic updates "in the background" [probably most]- will not have noticed this change. Not sure when this started but it's probably been close to a year if not longer. What is that about?)

As far as I can tell, my "VPN service" is the wi-fi network set up within my own home. Only I know the password, so only household members can use my wi-fi network.

Anyway, say I post someone's tweet and that person turns out to be a lunatic - does digital information get sent to that person which could possibly cause them to come here and take some retaliatory action? Or is it only certain employees of internet service providers, social media trackers and/or nosey government people who can study that information?

Anybody have any clues?
    They can't retaliate against you just the website for leaving it up even than there is a legal grey area.. A vpn service is a third party service provider that exchanges digital information on your behalf and is supposed to not share that the information was requested or sent by you. As long as you are not intent upon inciting violence or harm towards an individual then you aren't subject to libel laws even then its a legal grey area. Its considered bad manners to dox people or get them cancelled but not illegal. Normally people do it anonymously out of fear of retribution because they are cowards. If you do it openly normally you can get cancelled for doing it. If you use good adblocking software and anti tracking software and a vpn you can usually avoid getting attacked by someone who has a grudge against you. There are blackhat services you can hire on the deepweb to go after people who cause you harm or distress. Kind of like digital hitmen. It can be almost impossible to track down who hired the hit. I use firefox and use ublock origin and privacy badger and privacy possum addons to block trackers. Safari doesnt offer much protection in that manner. Shopping around for a good vpn service is always best. You want to find one that is fast and doesnt slow down your browsing. I have used torguard before they usually have a coupon for half off available in most cases and a lot of them offer free trials.

Here is a good website for information.

https://www.privacytools.io/