Thread: CDC and Media Stopped Tracking H1N1 Under Obama Administration

CDC and Media Stopped Tracking H1N1 Under Obama Administration

The number of "new" daily cases of COVID-19 is being reported ad nauseum. Is this simply the result of more testing? Has the definition of a "new" case been changed?

For statistics to be meaningful for comparisons over time, they must be collected in a consistent manner. One fact about the COVID-19 pandemic is that the methodology being used to collect statistics has been constantly changing. From a mathematic and scientific standpoint, that makes comparisons over time worthless. Statistics on the current COVID-19 are a hopeless mess.

That being said, the CDC under Obama had a unique way of reducing the number of cases. They stopped testing and tracking individual cases.

The following is from the CDC. Note that hospitalizations were related to underlying conditions, just as they are with COVID-19. Another similarity is that cases continued to increase through the summer.

The biggest difference between H1N1 and COVID-19 is the media and political reaction.

The 2009 H1N1 Pandemic: Summary Highlights, April 2009-April 2010
    Also in July 2009, CDC reported findings in the MMWR that indicated a striking prevalence of obesity in intensive care patients who were confirmed to have 2009 H1N1 influenza. Throughout the pandemic, CDC would continue to examine the relationship between 2009 H1N1 influenza, obesity, severe disease and other underlying risk factors.

CDC continued to work with the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE) to enhance surveillance for 2009 H1N1 influenza. As 2009 H1N1 cases continued to occur through the spring and summer, the task of counting cases became increasingly difficult. On May 12, 2009, CDC transitioned from reporting individual confirmed and probable cases of 2009 H1N1 influenza to reporting aggregate counts of 2009 H1N1 lab confirmed and probable cases, hospitalizations and deaths with the launch of an aggregate reporting web site. Once the numbers of cases increased beyond the point where counting of individual cases was practical, on July 23, 2009, CDC reported the number of 2009 cases for the last time.
    https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/cdcresponse.htm
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Imagine if we had a Republican president under the H1N1 virus. The reaction would be the exact same as with the coronavirus.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Related:

CNN Downplayed Swine Flu Under Obama, Went Gonzo On Wuhan Flu Under Trump
    In 2009, CNN casually covered the Swine flu pandemic under Obama. In 2020, CNN started lambasting Trump in its coronavirus coverage

In 2009, at the height of the H1N1 pandemic commonly referred to as “swine flu,” the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) suggested Americans should shut down schools, begin working from home, and quarantine themselves. Americans made minimal changes to their routines. Eleven years later, a new pandemic arose with similar CDC suggestions, but an entirely different reaction.
    CNN’s narrative about disease is clear: a Democratic President can handle a pandemic, therefore the world can relax, whereas a Republican President cannot handle a pandemic, therefore the world should panic.

CNN’s hyper-partisan and hyperbolic narrative is dangerous to the sanity and health of the world in times of global pandemic.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The media creates perception...

Let me see if I have this correctly. The death rate in NYC from coronavirus is going down. De Blasio says its not something we should celebrate. Sweden is no longer reporting any deaths from the coronavirus, and our government is telling us its not something to celebrate. Seems to me like the only way our government will allow us to celebrate is when the coronavirus is completely eradicated off the face of the earth through a vaccine.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Let me see if I have this correctly. The death rate in NYC from coronavirus is going down. De Blasio says its not something we should celebrate. Sweden is no longer reporting any deaths from the coronavirus, and our government is telling us its not something to celebrate. Seems to me like the only way our government will allow us to celebrate is when the coronavirus is completely eradicated off the face of the earth through a vaccine.
    It will end, and there will be huge celebration on Nov. 4th...

...if Trump loses.