Thread: US Govt considering banning Tiktok

US Govt considering banning Tiktok

https://www.wsj.com/articles/everyth...ok-11594315979

Short article, but to the point. There is talk of tiktok being a national security risk due to it's possible ties to the chinese government.

What do you all make of this? If tiktok has been sending personal info to the chinese govt, what can the chinese govt do with dancing videos? I know it's a privacy concern, but if our data is going to China, what effect could it have on us in the USA.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I despise TikTok. It doesn’t matter how many times the procedure is followed, FB will not allow users to ban them, and others who are also collecting personal data.

Whole I am not for censorship, I would love to have the choice about who can see my data. It would be hypocritical to suggest the US government ban them when they spy on us more than anyone else.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I'm not a Fan of Tiktok but I oppose banning them.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsubball23 View Post
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/everyth...ok-11594315979

Short article, but to the point. There is talk of tiktok being a national security risk due to it's possible ties to the chinese government.

What do you all make of this? If tiktok has been sending personal info to the chinese govt, what can the chinese govt do with dancing videos? I know it's a privacy concern, but if our data is going to China, what effect could it have on us in the USA.
    LOL, you obviously missed the Trump Rally fiasco. That was their first test case in disrupting the US election.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Temporarily Ban em

National security threat

I know this is slippery slope

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    LOL, you obviously missed the Trump Rally fiasco. That was their first test case in disrupting the US election.
    What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Temporarily Ban em

National security threat

I know this is slippery slope
    I'm wondering what kind of security threat would tik tok pose if most of the videos and info are from avg Americans and are about dancing and singing?

When I first saw this I immediately thought of the Tick Tock corner store here in my area which has been around for decades. Great food cheap, btw. I never heard of "Tictok" before this thread.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We shouldn't trust anything coming out of the PRC that they can exploit because they will but at the same time more needs to be done to protect our privacy or freedom of expression from domestic tech companies.

Didn't care that much for Tiktok, but I started to despise it once I heard about the nurses in hospitals using it to make videos instead of taking care of patients.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by sdsubball23 View Post
    What happened?
    Remember when Trump's Tulsa rally got over 1 million requests for tickets and only about 11,000 people attended with a stadium capacity of 20,000 a couple weeks or so ago?

Well, first of all, it turned out that as many as a few thousand Trump supporters were blocked by protesters from getting into the venue, and the entrance was shut down.

Second of all, a lot of people who may have gone decided not to because they didn't want to be around 50,000 other people or whatever competing to get in during a pandemic.

But it turned out that there were some viral videos on tik tok that were encouraging kids to signup for tickets for the event. They celebrated when the crowd was smallish, especially the way it was presented on TV. They thought they were going to reserves seats and not go and then keep other Trump supporters from going. That didn't happen, it's still first come first serve at Trump rallies. They are also easily able to weed out the bad requests by checking for valid phone numbers.

But, they may have discouraged some people from going who otherwise would have. They also trolled Trump to tweet out about the over 1 million requests for tickets, then see a stadium only 2/3 full on TV (it actually looked empty on TV, because they were filming the empty sections).

But most of all, it was a successful test case for using their platform to disrupt political events and such.
    Last edited by dannno; 07-09-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Not just Biden, not by a long shot (from the OP):

In a recent interview, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the Trump administration is “looking at” banning TikTok. He advised Americans to forego loading up Chinese social media apps like TikTok if they don’t want their “private information in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party.”
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Not just Biden, not by a long shot (from the OP):
    advised Americans to forego loading up Chinese social media apps like TikTok if they don’t want their “private information in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party.”
    Yet the American and other Citizens who arent American their Private Information is in the hands of the US govt.

Without Court Orders, Warrants.

How you think they managed to arrest most of Jan six protestors and those who were just in the area to film?