Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Leftists in America have a smear hatred of Christopher Columbus Its Just boggles the Mind

The Leftists in America have a smear hatred of Christopher Columbus Its Just boggles the Mind

I had being seen a list of statues which more had being destroyed by these crazy leftists and it appears Christopher Columbus statues are a favorite target of the crazy brainless "Uneducated White liberal"

I find hilarious how some of those Liberals on twitter claim that they are "educated" or pretending that they are some kind of professors of history or whatever well.

If they do love history are they even aware Christopher Columbus played a huge role by giving a morale to other future explorers of Europe and other countries? lol
    Without Christopher Columbus sitting a foot into the Americas somebody else would had problary Russia or even China because in our nature and universe nothing stays neutral.

It seems that those crazy leftists are uneducated by not knowing that fact. The statute of Christopher Columbus was important to the American Italians.

Removing the name and statues shows that American Liberals no longer care about Europeans or those Europeans whom had being coming to America.

It saddens me how the American education institutions has completely failed the American people when it comes to history and going as far to claim that indigenous peoples of the Caribbean, Americas were peaceful?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Entirely apart from the statue fetish the left seems to have, Christopher Columbus was a greedy, cruel and vicious piece of $#@!.

You don't have to be any kind of leftist to revile him. You just have to be a decent human being. $#@! him.

As for the whole "discovering America" thing - the Vikings had already done that. Nothing came of it, though, so Columbus does get the "credit" (whatever it's worth) for "opening the way" to the so-called "New World."[1] But that was bound to happen soon anyway. The Age of Exploration was already well under way. (In fact, it was precisely because the Age of Exploration was ongoing that the Spanish crown decided to sponsor Columbus. They wanted to beat Portugal in establishing a sea route to India and the Far East - but Vasco da Gama ended up getting there first for Portugal by sailing around Africa).

And there was no chance that Russia was ever going to become a colonial power in the Americas. Unlike the Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and British, Russia had no navy to speak of. Alaska was discovered by a Russian-sponsored Dutchman (Vitus Bering). It was claimed by Russia and settled by some Russians (whalers, sealers and fishermen, mostly). But apparently, Russia had so little interest in their claim that at one point they even offered to sell it to Liechtenstein. Liechtenstein didn't want it either - so Russia ended up selling it to the United States instead ...

China wasn't ever gong to colonize the Americas, either. As a matter of explicit policy, the Ming dynasty deliberately ended the cursory exploratory efforts in which China had previously engaged, (Culturally and institutionally, Confucianism held strong sway in China at the time - and Confucianism wasn't really compatible with colonialism or mercantilism.)

[1] Columbus was so clueless that he never even realized he had done this. He died incorrectly believing that he had found a new route to southeast Asia. IOW: He was an extremely lucky fool.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-09-2020 at 02:59 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

The printing press was bound to be invented anyway, so why give credit to Gutenberg? It doesn't matter what "bad" things Columbus did, we honor achievement, not morality.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Entirely apart from the statue fetish the left seems to have, Christopher Columbus was a greedy, cruel and vicious piece of $#@!.

You don't have to be any kind of leftist to revile him. You just have to be a decent human being. $#@! him.

As for the whole "discovering America" thing - the Vikings had already done that. Nothing came of it, though, so Columbus does get the "credit" (whatever it's worth) for "opening the way" to the so-called "New World."[1] But that was bound to happen soon anyway. The Age of Exploration was already well under way. (In fact, it was precisely because the Age of Exploration was ongoing that the Spanish crown decided to sponsor Columbus. They wanted to beat Portugal in establishing a sea route to India and the Far East - but Vasco da Gama ended up getting there first for Portugal by sailing around Africa).

And there was no chance that Russia was ever going to become a colonial power in the Americas. Unlike the Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch and British, Russia had no navy to speak of. Alaska was discovered by a Russian-sponsored Dutchman (Vitus Bering). It was claimed by Russia and settled by some Russians (whalers, sealers and fishermen, mostly). But apparently, Russia had so little interest in their claim that at one point they even offered to sell it to Liechtenstein. Liechtenstein didn't want it either - so Russia ended up selling it to the United States instead ...

China wasn't ever gong to colonize the Americas, either. As a matter of explicit policy, the Ming dynasty deliberately ended the cursory exploratory efforts in which China had previously engaged, (Culturally and institutionally, Confucianism held strong sway in China at the time - and Confucianism wasn't really compatible with colonialism or mercantilism.)

[1] Columbus was so clueless that he never even realized he had done this. He died incorrectly believing that he had found a new route to southeast Asia. IOW: He was an extremely lucky fool.
    + REP

On a side note, I have noticed @AngryCanadian seems to focus on Left vs Right and what can create a reaction, and not the ideals of freedom and liberty.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    The printing press was bound to be invented anyway, so why give credit to Gutenberg?
    Because he was the one who invented it. Duh.

What did I fail to give Columbus credit for?
    [...] Columbus does get the "credit" (whatever it's worth) for "opening the way" to the so-called "New World." [...]

It doesn't matter what "bad" things Columbus did [...]
    Of course it matters. So do the bad things that anyone does.

And the worse the things someone does, the more it matters ...

[...] we honor achievement [...]
    What did Columbus achieve, apart from being extraordinarily lucky that he and the crews of his ships did not die slowly and miserably on the vast trackless ocean between Western Europe and Eastern Asia, due to an accident of geology that put two continents between him and his destination? Had that accident not occurred, Columbus would be no more than a footnote to the Age of Exploration - a cautionary tale about how important it is not to be so haplessly bull-headed that you won't recheck your math when everyone else tells you that the world is about three times bigger than you think it is ...

The man was brave and determined, no doubt about it - but as I said in my previous post, he was an extremely lucky fool. If you consider that an "achievement" to be "honored," well ... okay, I guess *shrug*. ... but to me, it makes about as much sense as honoring the achievement of someone who wins the lottery (after talking someone else into paying for the ticket, no less ...)

[...] not morality.
    Indeed. That is quite obvious, more's the pity.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-09-2020 at 05:52 PM.

^^^THIS^^^

Anybody who has a clue on real history & wasn't raised in the public education prison system knows that Columbus was a POS, who slaughtered the indigenous people who had welcomed him in the Caribbean.
    There is no spoon.

Leftists have a hatred for anybody that doesn't believe the same things they believe in.
    Last edited by Anti Globalist; 07-09-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I thought they were finished after they began toppling Washington and Jefferson statues. Then came Lincoln. Then came Frederick Douglass. If he is on the table for statue toppling/desecration, then I guess we may as well assume MLK, Malcolm X, and Harriet Tubman are next. They are running out of American demigods to attack. I suppose the people will be next.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    + REP

On a side note, I have noticed @AngryCanadian seems to focus on Left vs Right and what can create a reaction, and not the ideals of freedom and liberty.
    Well if some keep voting left there might any liberty left. With going how crazy the Democrats are. Seattle literary had a Segregated training To "Undo Whiteness"

How is that pro liberty?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    I thought they were finished after they began toppling Washington and Jefferson statues. Then came Lincoln. Then came Frederick Douglass. If he is on the table for statue toppling/desecration, then I guess we may as well assume MLK, Malcolm X, and Harriet Tubman are next. They are running out of American demigods to attack. I suppose the people will be next.
    They will never be finished.

Not to get too Ayn-Rand-ish here, but they don't hate "poverty" or "inequality" or "racism" or whatever. Nor do they hate Washington, Columbus, et al. Not really. What they hate is existence (their own and everyone else's), and they will never be satisfied. Not even after they have toppled everything.

Read the following and ask yourself if you are surprised that Karl Marx is their spiritual godfather ...

Karl Marx Wrote Creepy Poems
    Tom Woods (15 December 2017)
    https://tomwoods.com/karl-marx-wrote-creepy-poems/

That’s an odd topic to write about, but I was reminded of Marx’s poems today by way of contrast with a left-wing poem I read that was just awful, lifeless and bland.

(I’m sparing you that one.)

At least Marx was bold and creepy.

Murray Rothbard quoted from Marx’s poems in his book Classical Economics. Rothbard was unconvinced by those who say these poems were the products of a youthful Marx, and of no significance in understanding the man.

Thus:
    … Worlds I would destroy forever,
    Since I can create no world;
    Since my call they notice never …

and:
    Then I will be able to walk triumphantly,
    Like a god, through the ruins of their kingdom.
    Every word of mine is fire and action.
    My breast is equal to that of the Creator.

and:
    I shall build my throne high overhead
    Cold, tremendous shall its summit be.
    For its bulwark — superstitious dread
    For its marshal — blackest agony.

and:
    See this sword?
    the prince of darkness
    Sold it to me.

and:
    With Satan I have struck my deal,
    He chalks the signs, beats time for me
    I play the death march fast and free.

and:
    … I shall howl gigantic curses on mankind:
    Ha! Eternity! She is an eternal grief …
    Ourselves being clockwork, blindly mechanical,
    Made to be the foul-calendars of Time and Space,
    Having no purpose save to happen, to be ruined,
    So that there shall be something to ruin …
    If there is a something which devours,
    I’ll leap within it, though I bring the world to ruins-
    The world which bulks between me and the Abyss
    I will smash to pieces with my enduring curses.
    I’ll throw my arms around its harsh reality:
    Embracing me, the world will dumbly pass away,
    And then sink down to utter nothingness,
    Perished, with no existence — that would be really living!

Nah, I’m sure none of that has anything to do with the mature Marx at all.

Sure does explain a lot, though — about Marxism and about the forces we’re up against these days.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-09-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

Anybody who has a clue on real history & wasn't raised in the public education prison system knows that Columbus was a POS, who slaughtered the indigenous people who had welcomed him in the Caribbean.
    Sometimes I come on here and I think I took a wrong turn onto reddit or democratic underground. Some of you eat up everything public education and the news media feed you. Indigenous peoples are all saints, and only white men must be judged by today's moral standards.

The idea that he carried out a genocidal campaign is one of the mot ridiculous claims that the Left has conjured up about Columbus. Genocidal maniac? No, not in the least; quite the opposite was true.

Rather than cruel, Columbus was mostly benign in his interaction with native populations. While deprivations did occur, Columbus was quick to punish those under his command who committed unjust acts against local populations.

“Columbus strictly told the crew not to do things like maraud, or rape, and instead to treat the native people with respect,” Delaney said. “There are many examples in his writings where he gave instructions to this effect. Most of the time when injustices occurred, Columbus wasn’t even there. There were terrible diseases that got communicated to the natives, but he can’t be blamed for that.”
    https://thefederalistpapers.org/hist...opher-columbus

Sometimes I come on here and I think I took a wrong turn onto reddit or democratic underground. Some of you eat up everything public education and the news media feed you. Indigenous peoples are all saints, and only white men must be judged by today's moral standards.

The idea that he carried out a genocidal campaign is one of the mot ridiculous claims that the Left has conjured up about Columbus. Genocidal maniac? No, not in the least; quite the opposite was true.

https://thefederalistpapers.org/hist...opher-columbus
    Sorry, but I never went to public school. I actually know how to learn.

Shocker!

Like many European explorers, Christopher Columbus encountered indigenous people throughout his voyages. There are three main sources of controversy involving his interactions with the indigenous people he labeled “Indians”: the use of violence and slavery, the forced conversion of native peoples to Christianity and the introduction of a host of new diseases that would have dramatic long-term effects on native people in the Americas.

In an era in which the international slave trade was starting to grow, Columbus and his men enslaved many native inhabitants of the West Indies and subjected them to extreme violence and brutality. On his famous first voyage in 1492, Columbus landed on an unknown Caribbean island after an arduous three-month journey.

On his first day in the New World, he ordered six of the natives to be seized, writing in his journal that he believed they would be good servants. Throughout his years in the New World, Columbus enacted policies of forced labor in which natives were put to work for the sake of profits. Later, Columbus sent thousands of peaceful Taino “Indians” from the island of Hispaniola to Spain to be sold. Many died en route.

Those left behind were forced to search for gold in mines and work on plantations. Within 60 years after Columbus landed, only a few hundred of what may have been 250,000 Taino were left on their island.

As governor and viceroy of the Indies, Columbus imposed iron discipline on what is now the Caribbean country of Dominican Republic, according to documents discovered by Spanish historians in 2005. In response to native unrest and revolt, Columbus ordered a brutal crackdown in which many natives were killed; in an attempt to deter further rebellion, Columbus ordered their dismembered bodies to be paraded through the streets.
    https://www.history.com/news/columbus-day-controversy
    Last edited by Ender; 07-09-2020 at 08:33 PM.
    There is no spoon.

Your a bit a wrong about Russia and America. If Europeans had no interest someone else would.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Sorry, but I never went to public school. I actually know how to learn.

Shocker!

https://www.history.com/news/columbus-day-controversy
    You know how to learn, yet you blindly trust sources that even left-wing fact checkers ascribe with a left-wing bias.
    https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/history-news-network/

If you truly knew how to learn you wouldn't trust anyone's interpretation on a contentious subject like Christopher Columbus, you would read all of his biographies, old textbooks, not just the Marxist propagandists. I really don't understand why you're here if you're so liberal. Do you just not like paying taxes, and you want to be free to smoke weed?

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Your a bit a wrong about Russia and America.
    How am I wrong about them?

If Europeans had no interest someone else would.
    But Europeans did have interest. No one else did but Russia (and they did only mildly).

And in any case, no one but Europeans had the seafaring capacity necessary to support and defend colonial territories.

As of the 15th century, no one but the Europeans were going to colonize the Americas. Period. Full stop.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-09-2020 at 11:12 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again.

nope. $#@! him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

You know how to learn, yet you blindly trust sources that even left-wing fact checkers ascribe with a left-wing bias.
    https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/history-news-network/

If you truly knew how to learn you wouldn't trust anyone's interpretation on a contentious subject like Christopher Columbus, you would read all of his biographies, old textbooks, not just the Marxist propagandists. I really don't understand why you're here if you're so liberal. Do you just not like paying taxes, and you want to be free to smoke weed?
    I just gave you the first source that popped up so you could maybe comprehend. I've known the history of Columbus for a long time.

I really don't understand why you're here if you're so hateful. Why don't you try having a REAL conversation instead of name-calling & insults. Spreading hate does not bring people to the side of liberty & freedom.
    There is no spoon.

How am I wrong about them?

But Europeans did have interest. No one else did but Russia (and they only mildly).

And in any case, no one but Europeans had the seafaring capacity necessary to support and defend colonial territories.

As of the 15th century, no one but the Europeans were going to colonize the Americas. Period. Full stop.
    Someone should reeducate the White Liberals how important that part of Euporean history it was before they go claiming what Europeans did was racist. The last time i checked about the native/indigenous history they also weren't as saint as liberals claimed.

The native/indigenous had done crimes towards themselves as well.
    According to some history files.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    + REP

I noticed that too.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    I noticed that too.
    So you actually believe that somehow that left if voted in Nov would bring more liberty? not saying that the right is any better with liberty stuff either.

So you actually believe that somehow that left if voted in Nov would bring more liberty? not saying that the right is any better with liberty stuff either.

I never said or implied any such thing.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Someone should reeducate the White Liberals how important that part of Euporean history it was before they go claiming what Europeans did was racist.
    What the Europeans did was racist. Extremely so.

They plundered, enslaved and brutalized other peoples on the basis of race/ethnicity.

It doesn't get any more "racist" than that.

One of the worst consequences of SJW-ism is that they have so thoroughly and utterly debased and abused the concept of "racism," to the point that any and every application of the concept is now reflexively rejected out of hand by many of their opponents - even in cases such as European colonialism, where it can obviously be applied and where it is incontrovertibly correct to do so.

Racism was and is a real thing (and it will continue to be a real thing as long as humans remain recognizably human) - not because the SJWs say so, but in spite of it ...

The last time i checked about the native/indigenous history they also weren't as saint as liberals claimed.

The native/indigenous had done crimes towards themselves as well.
    No, they weren't saints. And some of them did indeed do things that were just as greedy, cruel, and vicious as what the Europeans did (plunder, slavery, etc.). But two wrongs don't make a right. We cannot say that Christopher Columbus et al. were nice men just because some of the peoples they brutalized weren't.

And the Europeans had all the power. They could have used that power to put an end to indigenous brutalities when and where they found them. Instead, they just added to them - and to a much greater degree and on a much larger scale than the indigenes themselves were ever capable of achieving.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-09-2020 at 11:04 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It saddens me how the American education institutions has completely failed the American people when it comes to history and going as far to claim that indigenous peoples of the Caribbean, Americas were peaceful?
    Columbus himself believed the Arawak people of the Caribbean were peaceful. It's why he decided they would make good slaves. He wrote this himself in his journal:

In his journal, Columbus didn’t mince words about his intentions after meeting the Arawak natives in the Bahamas in 1492. He described the encounter thusly: “They ... brought us parrots and balls of cotton and spears and many other things ... They willingly traded everything they owned ... They were well-built, with good bodies and handsome features .... They do not bear arms, and do not know them, for I showed them a sword, they took it by the edge and cut themselves out of ignorance. They have no iron. Their spears are made of cane. ... They would make fine servants. ... With fifty men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want.” Columbus would add: “As soon as I arrived in the Indies, on the first Island which I found, I took some of the natives by force in order that they might learn and might give me information of whatever there is in these parts.”
    I found the above quote in the Rapid City (South Dakota) Journal -- hardly a liberal rag -- but many history books mention the same quote. There's no doubt that, just as Occam's Banana and Ender state, Columbus was a truly horrible human being, who enslaved those who befriended him. He's the total opposite of a liberty hero. I'm glad his statues are being removed. Score one for liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Columbus himself believed the Arawak people of the Caribbean were peaceful. It's why he decided they would make good slaves. He wrote this himself in his journal:

I found the above quote in the Rapid City (South Dakota) Journal -- hardly a liberal rag -- but many history books mention the same quote. There's no doubt that, just as Occam's Banana and Ender state, Columbus was a truly horrible human being, who enslaved those who befriended him. He's the total opposite of a liberty hero. I'm glad his statues are being removed. Score one for liberty.
    Your using the talking narrative as the Liberal educators therefore you would care with the Liberals on taking down Christopher Columbus and not celebrating his day. You are a liberal with that narrative because you miss the whole point about Columbus.

But hey lets remove history because its offending and offense? i am sure thats why Liberty stands for right? removing history because it hurts someone's feelings because they believe someone was a bad person.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post

I'm glad his statues are being removed. Score one for liberty.
    As expected not surprising.Yes score one for public destruction and rioters.You might as well just declare colonialism was a bad thing while your at it.Because "colonialism " gave birth to America that is today.

Or better yet while you be cheering when they tear down Rushmore next as well? you are starting to sound alot like a Liberal.
    Last edited by AngryCanadian; 07-10-2020 at 12:38 AM.

What the Europeans did was racist. Extremely so.

They plundered, enslaved and brutalized other peoples on the basis of race/ethnicity.

It doesn't get any more "racist" than that.

One of the worst consequences of SJW-ism is that they have so thoroughly and utterly debased and abused the concept of "racism," to the point that any and every application of the concept is now reflexively rejected out of hand by many of their opponents - even in cases such as European colonialism, where it can obviously be applied and where it is incontrovertibly correct to do so.

Racism was and is a real thing (and it will continue to be a real thing as long as humans remain recognizably human) - not because the SJWs say so, but in spite of it ...

No, they weren't saints. And some of them did indeed do things that were just as greedy, cruel, and vicious as what the Europeans did (plunder, slavery, etc.). But two wrongs don't make a right. We cannot say that Christopher Columbus et al. were nice men just because some of the peoples they brutalized weren't.

And the Europeans had all the power. They could have used that power to put an end to indigenous brutalities when and where they found them. Instead, they just added to them - and to a much greater degree and on a much larger scale than the indigenes themselves were ever capable of achieving.

But two wrongs don't make a right
    I could say the same about the indigenous.

even in cases such as European colonialism, where it can obviously be applied and where it is incontrovertibly correct to do so.
    If you weren't aware.
    European colonialism gave birth to America and much of North America including Mexico.
    Last edited by AngryCanadian; 07-10-2020 at 12:54 AM.

Again your missing the point.

Cheering for history revisionism in history is not about bringing Liberty.

Ironical enough no one seemed to had a issue with Rushmore or Christopher Columbus for 8 years while the Obama was president that says a lot now.

So why is Rushmore or Christopher Columbus now a problem? ? because Trump is in charge?
    Last edited by AngryCanadian; 07-10-2020 at 12:54 AM.

I could say the same about the indigenous.
    That's nice. Good for you.

For my part, I actually did say the same the same about the indigenes.
    (Hint: that's what one of those "two wrongs" I mentioned was referring to.)

If you weren't aware.
    European colonialism gave birth to America and much of North America including Mexico.
    No it didn't. The American and Mexican wars of independence are what gave birth to America and Mexico.

As for North America - it existed a long, long, looooooooong time before European colonialism did.

And in any case, whatever "gave birth" to any of those things, what does it have to do with whether or not European colonialism[1] was brutal and racist?

[1] Or any of its principals, such as Christopher Columbus.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-10-2020 at 02:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast