Thread: GOP Says Columbus Day Should be REPLACED with Juneteenth

Exclamation GOP Says Columbus Day Should be REPLACED with Juneteenth

So Some GOP Senators are debating whatever Columbus Day Should be replaced with Juneteenth a day that supposdely ended slavery over Columbus Day.

In other Neocons and Democrats hate American Italians and Southern Europeans. You know at this rate they might just change Christmas as well for all i care now

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    [QUOTE=AngryCanadian;6962224]So Some GOP Senators are debating whatever Columbus Day Should be replaced with Juneteenth a day that supposdely ended slavery over Columbus Day.

In other Neocons and Democrats hate American Italians and Southern Europeans. You know at this rate they might just change Christmas as well for all i care now

To give credit where due, top GOP leadership (GOPA wing to be more precise) started this discussion at the highest levels, these folks might be 3rd fiddlers or somethung like that, not leaders.

Carson says Juneteenth holiday under discussion, end of slavery worthy of recognition

By Francesca Chambers
    June 18, 2020

WASHINGTON Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson on Thursday said he supports the idea of commemorating the end of slavery and has been a part of White House conversations about a federal holiday marking “Juneteenth.”
    “It’s a topic worthy of consideration and discussion,” Carson, in an interview with McClatchy on the eve of the June 19 celebration of the cessation of slavery. “I think just recognizing that this country sort of came of age, and recognize that an abominable practice came to an end, is certainly worthy of all of our recognition.”
    https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...243647212.html

'I made Juneteenth very famous': Trump takes credit for holiday celebrating Emancipation Proclamation
    June 19, 2020

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump took credit for widespread recognition of Juneteenth, which commemorates the Emancipation Proclamation, after drawing backlash for his Tulsa, Oklahoma, rally originally scheduled for the same date.
    In a wide-ranging interview with the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday, Trump claimed that "nobody had ever heard of" the June 19 holiday before the controversy surrounding his rally, which he later moved to June 20.
    "I did something good: I made Juneteenth very famous,” Trump said. “It’s actually an important event, an important time. But nobody had ever heard of it.”
    What is Juneteenth?: Holiday marking Emancipation Proclamation takes on extra importance in 2020
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sy/3214013001/

The GOP should shut up leave Christopher Columbus alone.

IDGAF about recognizing Juneteenth if that was what it would take to placate these people but it obviously wouldn't. I've been familiar with the holiday for a long time having grew up in a in a pretty evenly split white/black large city, I remember it mostly as the parade where there would be gang fights or worse like every other year. I don't understand why they have to destroy something else tho like Columbus Day, its the same thing with statues why don't they build their own to honor their heroes?

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    IDGAF about recognizing Juneteenth if that was what it would take to placate these people but it obviously wouldn't. I've been familiar with the holiday for a long time having grew up in a in a pretty evenly split white/black large city, I remember it mostly as the parade where there would be gang fights or worse like every other year. I don't understand why they have to destroy something else tho like Columbus Day, its the same thing with statues why don't they build their own to honor their heroes?
    Could it be they don't believe they have any heroes?

Dhey be comin after Leif Erikson Statues next...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Should Disney's name be replaced for being racist to in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Should Disney's name be replaced for being racist to in the past?
    To the left the worst thing you can be is a racist. But I disagree the worst thing you can be is a warmonger.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If the event ever arises, we should create a holiday celebrating freedom from paying taxes.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    I'm sure jay z would love a statue.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

What a stupid holiday - not for the cause, but historically speaking, it was nothing more than the day orders were read by the general
    in Texas. One State. Orders had already been read across the South. Many Northern states already banned slavery by themselves.

If you're going to honor Emancipation, do it on December 6th, the Thirteenth Amendment signing date.

The reason why 95% of Americans never even heard of "Juneteenth" until 2 weeks ago (including myself) is that it was a local holiday only.

-
    Now, onto removing Columbus Day - as an Italian-American, I am beyond affronted and disgusted by this. We are already on the margins.
    Never did we have a President or any real power in this country besides Church or Mafia. Now, we can't even keep ONE FRIGGIN DAY ?

This country is not lovable anymore. I do not love it or even respect it very much.
    My ancestors came here from Italy and Canada 120 years ago, had nothing to do with slavery or any of this B.S.
    They came because it was still young and had a lot of new opportunity. Now it has - BULLCRAP !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Snowball; 07-03-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    What a stupid holiday - not for the cause, but historically speaking, it was nothing more than the day orders were read by the general
    in Texas. One State. Orders had already been read across the South. Many Northern states already banned slavery by themselves.

If you're going to honor Emancipation, do it on December 6th, the Thirteenth Amendment signing date.

The reason why 95% of Americans never even heard of "Juneteenth" until 2 weeks ago (including myself) is that it was a local holiday only.

-
    Now, onto removing Columbus Day - as an Italian-American, I am beyond affronted and disgusted by this. We are already on the margins.
    Never did we have a President or any real power in this country besides Church or Mafia. Now, we can't even keep ONE FRIGGIN DAY ?

This country is not lovable anymore. I do not love it or even respect it very much.
    My ancestors came here from Italy and Canada 120 years ago, had nothing to do with slavery or any of this B.S.
    They came because it was still young and had a lot of new opportunity. Now it has - BULLCRAP !!!!!!!!

Democrats in America if they remove Columbus Day they would be agaisnt the Italian American minorities.Most if i remember correctly from my travel to NY City 20 years ago or so. Majority of the Italians in NYC were Democrat not sure removing Columbus statue or the holiday which is more celebrated would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Dhey be comin after Leif Erikson Statues next...
    Ya , just wait until they find out about that .The US Mint even made a Commemorative silver Dollar in 2000 with Ericson for the Millennium. Of course the following year is the greatest silver commemorative US Mint dollar , the American Buffalo .
    Last edited by oyarde; 07-03-2020 at 06:50 PM.

They better not $#@! with St Patricks day. We were brought here as slaves even before the blacks.