Thread: House passes bill to make Washington DC the 51st state

Post House passes bill to make Washington DC the 51st state

Interesting move by the House and the timing, at a time when BLM/social justice/diversity campaigns are sweeping America.

House passes bill to make Washington DC the 51st state

Fri, Jun 26 2020
    Jacob Pramuk

Key Points

• The House passes a bill to make Washington, D.C., the 51st U.S. state.
    • Republicans oppose the legislation and are unlikely to pass it in the Senate.
    • Washington, D.C., which has long decried having to pay taxes without voting representation in Congress, would get one representative and two senators.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) greets Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser during a joint news conference in advance of Friday’s historic House vote on District of Columbia statehood bill on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., June 25, 2020.
    Yuri Gripas | Reuters

House Democrats passed a bill Friday to make Washington, D.C., the 51st U.S. state, a historic move unlikely to gain traction in the Republican-held Senate.
    The chamber approved it by a 232-180 vote.
    The legislation would give Washington residents, who have long decried the fact that they pay federal taxes but have no voting representation in Congress, one House member and two senators. A smaller area encompassing the White House, U.S. Capitol, and other federal buildings and monuments would remain under U.S. oversight.
    Washington’s longtime nonvoting House delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton introduced the bill, which would change the name of the district to the state of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth. In advocating for the legislation Friday, she noted that D.C.’s population of about 700,000 is larger than that of Wyoming or Vermont, and that the district pays more federal taxes than 22 states.
    “As we approach July 4th, it is long past time to apply the nation’s oldest slogan, ‘no taxation without representation,’ and the principle of consent of the governed to District of Columbia residents,” Norton said.
    cnbc.com/2020/06/26/house-passes-bill-to-make-washington-dc-the-51st-state.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why can't the GOP do this and get behind a secession movement? Say, Jefferson State?

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Why can't the GOP do this and get behind a secession movement? Say, Jefferson State?
    Washington DC population is mostly black in population correct? its not a surprise that the democrats are using demographics to their advantage. Tim Pool says that Trump has no platform and nor do the democrats have a platform either all they want to with Biden is bring back all the Obama polices that Trump removed and being added with a new green deal.

Not sure how is this a "platform"

You should give Hawaii back then you won't have to get new flags.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Washington DC population is mostly black in population correct? its not a surprise that the democrats are using demographics to their advantage. Tim Pool says that Trump has no platform and nor do the democrats have a platform either all they want to with Biden is bring back all the Obama polices that Trump removed and being added with a new green deal.

Not sure how is this a "platform"
    Obama was an empty suit
    Trump is a Megalomaniac
    Biden is a sock puppet.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Obama was an empty suit
    Trump is a Megalomaniac
    Biden is a sock puppet.
    True but Biden is far more dangerous. The fact that he wants to force every American to wear a face mask? says a lot about his platform.

I thought the reason D.C. wasn't a state is because it's technically federal government territory or something.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Probably did it so they could rig the election.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    200 electoral votes!
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Mostly it's for the two freebie Democrat Senators. When the Democrats take back power and get this signed, it should fail in the supreme court, but of course the traitor John Roberts will say we have to allow it even though it goes against the constitution.
    Last edited by misterx; 06-27-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Wait..
    This is good news!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    I thought the reason D.C. wasn't a state is because it's technically federal government territory or something.
    It is. It's Federal Jurisdiction because that way they could avoid placing the capital in either a Northern State or Southern State after the Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Wait..
    This is good news!
    How? The way I see it is that maybe it'll give other state(s) the idea that it's time to secede?

We should make CHAZ it's own state, and give it 4 Senators just for fun.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Here's a radical idea. Give it back to Maryland and Virginia. Or if a resident wants to vote for representatives, they can move to an actual state instead of the federal city of DC.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is. It's Federal Jurisdiction because that way they could avoid placing the capital in either a Northern State or Southern State after the Civil War.
    Washington DC was purposefully placed in the South as part of the Compromise of 1790. Hence why two Southern States ceded land to create it.

Quote Originally Posted by familydog View Post
    Washington DC was purposefully placed in the South as part of the Compromise of 1790. Hence why two Southern States ceded land to create it.
    Maryland is considered a Southern State? Did not realize that. Thanks.

We don't need 51 states. 50 is just fine.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    We don't need 51 states. 50 is just fine.
    The only ones that need and want a 51st state are the democrats because they fear on losing with their ridicules agenda. Why else push for a 51s state?
    Last edited by AngryCanadian; 06-27-2020 at 09:48 AM.

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...99342025179136

DC lays on ceded territory from Maryland, if they want to be apart of a state so bad then retrocede it back to Maryland as they did prior with Virginia. They should split federal bureaucracy up and place it in different states, they can't have their cake and eat it too.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    Mostly it's for the two freebie Democrat Senators. When the Democrats take back power and get this signed, it should fail in the supreme court, but of course the traitor John Roberts will say we have to allow it even though it goes against the constitution.
    Sadly this is probably true.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maryland is considered a Southern State? Did not realize that. Thanks.
    You have to think back to the colonies and the revolutionary war.

The bulk of the population was concentrated in New England... NY, MA, CT, NH, RI, etc. But there were also colonies in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Virginia (which carried a lot of weight).

So if you live where most Americans did at the time, in New England, then yes, indeed, the border of Maryland and Virginia is "southern" to you.... despite the fact that Maryland is north of the Mason-Dixon line.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Just give all the residential areas back to MD and VA. The lands that federal building are on stay DC.

Residents now have representation, problem solved right? But no, the real motive behind this is to use the current manufactured racial crisis to tip the senate in favor of the democrats.