Thread: Trump opens Atlantic sanctuary to commercial fishing

Exclamation Trump opens Atlantic sanctuary to commercial fishing

Trump opens Atlantic sanctuary to commercial fishing

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-exp...151704077.html

President Donald Trump announced on Friday he will open up a 5,000 square mile conservation area in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of New England to commercial fishing.

The move allows commercial fishing to resume in the Northeast Canyons and Seamounts Marine National Monument, a sanctuary created in 2016 during the Obama administration. It also cancels a planned phase out of red crab and lobster fisheries in the area.

Trump signed a proclamation on opening the area during a visit to Maine in his latest move to appeal to working class and blue collar workers in an election year by touting regulatory rollbacks that he says can restore jobs and economic activity.

"We’re cutting regulations from highways and roadways to fish," Trump said at a roundtable event in Bangor.

Trump, who won in Maine's rural 2nd Congressional district in the 2016 election, also announced he would create a task force to identify international markets for U.S. seafood.

The commercial seafood industry and regional fishery management councils have pressed the Trump administration to restore commercial fishing in federal waters closed off under monument protections, citing the regulatory burden that they say forces fishermen to travel further with increased operational expenses and safety risks.

Kristan Porter, president of the Maine Lobsterman's Association who attended the roundtable, said the monument's restrictions on commercial fishing were done without the industry's input. "Fishermen needed to have input into this and we didn't," he said.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And there is another reason I will be voting for and supporting Trump in the fall.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

That's nice for the commercial fishermen but it's a low level cover story for the massive "cutting of regulations initiative" so that trillions of Treasury dollars can be doled out on Agenda 2030 infrastructure projects without question or opposition.

See recent EO:
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...ts-activities/

I don't oppose cutting regulations back, of course, but this is mostly cover to fund UN initiatives.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I'll take what small victories I can.

I personally know men who have lost their vessels due to losing these grounds for fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

I personally know men who have lost their vessels due to losing these grounds for fishing.
    I couldn't agree more with you but I'm definitely in favour of having some marine sanctuaries. Back in the day you had schools of cod miles long. If we conserve and use wisely, we will be able to harvest more in the future, not less. Having said that, no individual should lose their livelihood just because an area is called a sanctuary. There are better solutions to deal with that.

I was happy to see that I can take two seabass again when I go fishing. Couple years ago they closed it for the whole years, last year it was one. Now it's two again. And it's actually based on the numbers there seem to be... I didn't catch many either when it was closed, now they're more numerous again.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I couldn't agree more with you but I'm definitely in favour of having some marine sanctuaries. Back in the day you had schools of cod miles long. If we conserve and use wisely, we will be able to harvest more in the future, not less. Having said that, no individual should lose their livelihood just because an area is called a sanctuary. There are better solutions to deal with that.

I was happy to see that I can take two seabass again when I go fishing. Couple years ago they closed it for the whole years, last year it was one. Now it's two again. And it's actually based on the numbers there seem to be... I didn't catch many either when it was closed, now they're more numerous again.
    Ban otter trawls.

Best thing you could do to conserve groundfish stocks.

Ban otter trawls.

Best thing you could do to conserve groundfish stocks.
    And hunt seals for their fur.

You can have limits so we don't run out of them either.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Until someone figures out how to define private property in ocean fish (a difficult task), the only alternative to treating th4e oceans as a commons (the worst possible arrangement) is state regulation with quotas, etc. How the state should go about doing that regulating depends on the conditions of the fishing ground. Is opening up these areas prudent management? I don't know.

I have seen several commercial fishing boats sold by the banks at the auctions I go to in the last year. It hasn't been good.

I live here but am not totally up to date on this. Was this the grounds that got shut down over the right whale thing? About them getting caught in lines? I know they made everyone switch all the gear to floating line a while ago.

I can't bring myself to vote for Trump, but he will probably win Maine CD2 again from what I see here.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I have seen several commercial fishing boats sold by the banks at the auctions I go to in the last year. It hasn't been good.

I live here but am not totally up to date on this. Was this the grounds that got shut down over the right whale thing? About them getting caught in lines? I know they made everyone switch all the gear to floating line a while ago.

I can't bring myself to vote for Trump, but he will probably win Maine CD2 again from what I see here.
    That was a different regulatory fatwa.

Lobstermen with large enough vessels fish inshore in the summer, in state waters and offshore in the winter.

When the weather gets cold and the near coastal water temp falls, lobsters migrate offshore to deep water and the offshore banks.

Obama closed 5000 square miles of these areas down by executive fatwa.

Trump re-opened them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    And hunt seals for their fur.

You can have limits so we don't run out of them either.
    Yup that too