Thread: Unemployment rate dropped to 13.3% as economy gained 2.5M jobs in May

Unemployment rate dropped to 13.3% as economy gained 2.5M jobs in May

What's this????

The economy gained 2.5 million jobs in May, lowering the unemployment rate to 13.3%, the Labor Department said Friday.

The payroll gains, the largest on record, represented a stunning development and a hint that the worst-case scenario for the economy might not come to pass. Forecasters had expected job losses of 8 million and an unemployment rate of about 20%.

"This looks like the shortest recession in history," said Chris Rupkey, chief financial economist for MUFG.

Employment rose sharply in sectors such as leisure, hospitality, and retail as states began to reopen last month — the same industries that had seen extreme rates of layoffs as the pandemic struck. The leisure and hospitality sectors saw job gains of 1.2 million, following losses of 7.5 million in April and 743,000 in March. The retail sector gained 368,000 in May, after a loss of 2.3 million in April.

Construction last month gained nearly half of the job losses it suffered in April. Education and health also saw a significant bounce back.

Also, unemployed workers sitting on the sidelines jumped back into the market as the labor force participation rate increased in May.

Altogether, 7.7 million unemployed workers went back to work in May, a sign that many of the employees who were temporarily dismissed during the worst of the pandemic will be able to rejoin their old employers.

Still, the hole that the economy must dig itself out of is extremely deep. More than 18 million people said that they were temporarilydismissed during the worst of the pandemic will be able to rejoin their old employers.

Still, the hole that the economy must dig itself out of is extremely deep. More than 18 million people said that they were temporarily unemployed in April.

More at https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...5m-jobs-in-may
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    What's this????

The economy gained 2.5 million jobs in May, lowering the unemployment rate to 13.3%, the Labor Department said Friday.

The payroll gains, the largest on record, represented a stunning development and a hint that the worst-case scenario for the economy might not come to pass. Forecasters had expected job losses of 8 million and an unemployment rate of about 20%.

"This looks like the shortest recession in history," said Chris Rupkey, chief financial economist for MUFG.

Employment rose sharply in sectors such as leisure, hospitality, and retail as states began to reopen last month — the same industries that had seen extreme rates of layoffs as the pandemic struck. The leisure and hospitality sectors saw job gains of 1.2 million, following losses of 7.5 million in April and 743,000 in March. The retail sector gained 368,000 in May, after a loss of 2.3 million in April.

Construction last month gained nearly half of the job losses it suffered in April. Education and health also saw a significant bounce back.

Also, unemployed workers sitting on the sidelines jumped back into the market as the labor force participation rate increased in May.

Altogether, 7.7 million unemployed workers went back to work in May, a sign that many of the employees who were temporarily dismissed during the worst of the pandemic will be able to rejoin their old employers.

Still, the hole that the economy must dig itself out of is extremely deep. More than 18 million people said that they were temporarilydismissed during the worst of the pandemic will be able to rejoin their old employers.

Still, the hole that the economy must dig itself out of is extremely deep. More than 18 million people said that they were temporarily unemployed in April.

More at https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...5m-jobs-in-may

And it's only costing us a trillion a month! We just hit 26 trillion, yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    And it's only costing us a trillion a month! We just hit 26 trillion, yay!
    Just looking for some good news in a sea of bad. On a personal note all those construction workers going back to work on the high rises and track homes will make the field a lot less cluttered in my world.
    "The Patriarch"

so if the unemployment rate was 13% does that mean the real one was 70%?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

WRONG!, ITS ALL WRONG!

ERROR.

ERROR.

ERROR.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/bus...r-15320999.php

When the U.S. government's official jobs report for May came out on Friday, it included a note at the bottom saying there had been a major "error" and the unemployment rate likely should be higher than the widely report 13.3 percent rate.

The special note said that if this misclassification error had not occurred, the "overall unemployment rate would have been about 3 percentage points higher than reported," meaning the unemployment rate would be about 16.3 percent for May.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    WRONG!, ITS ALL WRONG!

ERROR.

ERROR.

ERROR.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/bus...r-15320999.php

When the U.S. government's official jobs report for May came out on Friday, it included a note at the bottom saying there had been a major "error" and the unemployment rate likely should be higher than the widely report 13.3 percent rate.

The special note said that if this misclassification error had not occurred, the "overall unemployment rate would have been about 3 percentage points higher than reported," meaning the unemployment rate would be about 16.3 percent for May.
    If Joe Biden is elected then i am sure magically the numbers would drop to 6%

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    If Joe Biden is elected then i am sure magically the numbers would drop to 6%
    I think part of the DNC wants this chaos so they can expand government, start new programs, spend a bazillion dollars pretend to be saviors of us all.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Looking st the businesses destroyed and/or boarded up after this rioting, the many states still in some phase of a lockdown, empty stores and restaurants etc. I seriously doubt 2.5 million people will still remain employed after june. For some reason, I do not buy this number.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just looking for some good news in a sea of bad. On a personal note all those construction workers going back to work on the high rises and track homes will make the field a lot less cluttered in my world.
    If people do not look for the positive things, then the negatives things consume their daily lives. How sad.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Except that it's clearly not good news when the government has to borrow to generate employment instead of letting the free market create jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    If people do not look for the positive things, then the negatives things consume their daily lives. How sad.
    Do you think when the government prints and borrows to create jobs, that's a good thing?

If you lose your job and then borrow a bunch of money to take a vacation, is that a good thing? Or an irresponsible thing?

I'm looking for positive things like a return to free markets and sound money.
    Last edited by Madison320; 06-06-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John-G View Post
    Looking st the businesses destroyed and/or boarded up after this rioting, the many states still in some phase of a lockdown, empty stores and restaurants etc. I seriously doubt 2.5 million people will still remain employed after june. For some reason, I do not buy this number.
    Those 2.5 Million unemployed can think the DNC, News Media and the BLM protests

Do you think when the government prints and borrows to create jobs, that's a good thing?

If you lose your job and then borrow a bunch of money to take a vacation, is that a good thing? Or an irresponsible thing?

Well in order to have a truly free market we have to push for the monopolies to be broken up. Those monopolies have put a stranglehold on any competition.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    I think part of the DNC wants this chaos so they can expand government, start new programs, spend a bazillion dollars pretend to be saviors of us all.
    Correct . Pelosi staff will put bills together to fix all your woes.

You convinced me . I deserve another vacation

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Those 2.5 Million unemployed can think the DNC, News Media and the BLM protests
    Can't buy that, the reps have the supreme court, the health agencies, the senate, the executive, the military and the governor position in the majority of the states. Sorry but I just can't give the republicans a pass on this, they stood idle by while the country burned literally and figuratively.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Except that it's clearly not good news when the government has to borrow to generate employment instead of letting the free market create jobs.
    Is this a new thing? I thought they've been doing that for quite some time now. "We have to destroy the free market, to save the... ".
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Well in order to have a truly free market we have to push for the monopolies to be broken up. Those monopolies have put a stranglehold on any competition.
    Yeah, great idea.

As Ayn Rand described antitrust laws: "Free competition at the point of a gun.

Is this a new thing? I thought they've been doing that for quite some time now. "We have to destroy the free market, to save the... ".
    Of course it's not new. But the "job creation" budget has never been remotely close what it is now. It's pretty much guaranteed to end in hyperinflation.

Yeah, great idea.

As Ayn Rand described antitrust laws: "Free competition at the point of a gun.
    In the meantime the Big corporations (monopolies) will crush any idea you have to start a competing business, if it interferes with their cash flow.

Of course it's not new. But the "job creation" budget has never been remotely close what it is now. It's pretty much guaranteed to end in hyperinflation.
    Oh, no doubt. Not looking forward to it one bit.
    "The Patriarch"

My SO said that it was probably a bounce from businesses rehiring laid off employees to clear the 8 week headcount requirement of the original PPP program, required for the loan to be forgiven. The original CARES Act was passed March 27 and the first round of loans was quickly depleted. 8 weeks would have been up for first borrowers around June 1. This made sense to me and she was in charge of securing some PPP loans for her organization. So while the numbers may have some legitimacy, it wasn't from organic growth or "reopening" but rather from the official headcount requirement of the PPP. Nothing stopping the borrowers from not giving them hours and then firing them again after the loan is forgiven.
    Last edited by devil21; 06-07-2020 at 05:58 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book