Thread: DOJ files statement in case brought by businesses against Gov. Whitmer

DOJ files statement in case brought by businesses against Gov. Whitmer

The Department of Justice has filed a statement of interest in a lawsuit filed by seven Michigan businesses challenging restrictions imposed by Governor Whitmer in response to the Wuhan coronavirus pandemic. The plaintiffs are a real estate brokerage, a lawn and property maintenance company, an automotive glass exporter, an engine oil and auto parts distributor, a small jewelry store, a dental office, and an association of car washes. They brought their federal case in the Western District of Michigan.

In its press release, the Justice Department notes that Gov. Whitmer has issued over 100 executive orders. Collectively, says the DOJ, the orders impose sweeping limitations on nearly all aspects of life for citizens of Michigan, and some of them significantly impair citizens’ ability to maintain their economic livelihoods.

Whitmer has become notorious for the seemingly arbitrary nature of some of her orders. The orders at issue in the Western District litigation arguably are among them. For example, the DOJ notes that it’s okay in Michigan to go to a hardware store and buy a jacket, but it’s a crime to go inside a clothing store and buy the identical jacket without making an appointment.

In its statement of interest, the Justice Department warns that the facts alleged by the plaintiffs could amount to violations of the Commerce Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution.

More at: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...ov-whitmer.php
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Department of Justice Files Statement of Interest in Support of Businesses Suffering from Arbitrary and Irrational Restrictions of Michigan Governor's COVID-19 Orders

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/depar...-arbitrary-and
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Whitmer needs to be dragged out of her home and hung by her entrails.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge